Thread: slp y pipe

black
    1999 camaross

slp y pipe

I have a 1999 camaro ss and want to buy a y pipe to get ride of that flat pipe that comes stock on the car. I can get the pipe for 50 bucks. What kind of power will i get out of it? Im new to to the ls1. tx

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Most people will tell you not to waste your time with the SLP "Y" pipe but I put one on my first 2000 Trans Am and it seemed to wake the car up a bunch. If you are planning to put long tube headers on your car then I wouldn't bother with the "Y" pipe, it won't work with the LT's. As for getting one for $50, you might have some luck on this forum or maybe Craig's List but they cost more than that new. Good luck with your new ride.

Scott

black
    1999 camaross

tx scott i just dont like that flat pipe thats on it now should i just have my local shop make me a pipe to replace that flat one? But i already love this car lol. tx Dwayne

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie1999ss View Post
    tx scott i just dont like that flat pipe thats on it now should i just have my local shop make me a pipe to replace that flat one? But i already love this car lol. tx Dwayne
    Get an aftermarket exhaust with a Y-pipe. Adding just a Y-pipe will maybe give you about 5HP. You won't notice any increase in power. If you think you do, it's all in your head IMO.

Like said, if you have future plans to get LTs, don't bother with the Y-pipe b/c it won't fit properly (length and OD).

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    Most people will tell you not to waste your time with the SLP "Y" pipe but I put one on my first 2000 Trans Am and it seemed to wake the car up a bunch. If you are planning to put long tube headers on your car then I wouldn't bother with the "Y" pipe, it won't work with the LT's. As for getting one for $50, you might have some luck on this forum or maybe Craig's List but they cost more than that new. Good luck with your new ride.

Scott
    huh??? works just fine... i have a slp Y and LT headers...

i don't like the slp Y cause it hangs down a bit to low on the drivers side...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    huh??? works just fine... i have a slp Y and LT headers...

i don't like the slp Y cause it hangs down a bit to low on the drivers side...
    SLP's stand-alone Y pipe is a 2.5". This is the one they sell with their LM set-ups. The SLP Y-pipe that comes with their LTs is a 3" Y-pipe. Different parts.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    SLP's stand-alone Y pipe is a 2.5". This is the one they sell with their LM set-ups. The SLP Y-pipe that comes with their LTs is a 3" Y-pipe. Different parts.
    I have the stand alone pipe, it just hasn't made it's way onto the WS6 yet. I had one on my first 2000 T/A and I think it is worth the money.

Scott

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the stand alone pipe, it just hasn't made it's way onto the WS6 yet. I had one on my first 2000 T/A and I think it is worth the money.

Scott
    Maybe for $50 it is. New they cost upwards of $200. Just food for thought, my SLP Y-pipe I had on my car before I got Kooks LTs with a Kooks Y did not fit properly.

The flange bolt spacing was off by a good 1/16" and it would not fit up to the existing OEM interface. I had to oval out the hole. Everything I have ever bought from SLP did not fit properly including a lid and smooth bellows also.

Anyone on this thread will tell you that SLP has two things worth anything: a line lock and their lid (newer version). Anything else you buy is at your own discretion.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black

Maybe for $50 it is. New they cost upwards of $200. Just food for thought, my SLP Y-pipe I had on my car before I got Kooks LTs with a Kooks Y did not fit properly.

The flange bolt spacing was off by a good 1/16" and it would not fit up to the existing OEM interface. I had to oval out the hole. Everything I have ever bought from SLP did not fit properly including a lid and smooth bellows also.

Anyone on this thread will tell you that SLP has two things worth anything: a line lock and their lid (newer version). Anything else you buy is at your own discretion.
    Wow, sorry to hear about your trouble with SLP. I guess I have been lucky with them, granted it was in 2002 but everything I bought from them worked the way it is supposed to. The only thing I shouldn't have bought was their MAF, the stock one was good enough but I didn't know any better. I bought a SLP Flo Pak off of E-Bay recently and haven't put it on the "new" WS6 yet. Hopefully it has the new style lid in it. I have had more problems with E-Bay stores selling auto parts so I will not be buying stuff for my cars from them anymore.

Scott

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Wow, sorry to hear about your trouble with SLP. I guess I have been lucky with them, granted it was in 2002 but everything I bought from them worked the way it is supposed to. The only thing I shouldn't have bought was their MAF, the stock one was good enough but I didn't know any better. I bought a SLP Flo Pak off of E-Bay recently and haven't put it on the "new" WS6 yet. Hopefully it has the new style lid in it. I have had more problems with E-Bay stores selling auto parts so I will not be buying stuff for my cars from them anymore.

Scott
    You are one of the lucky ones. Glad you learned about the MAF. I also resorted back to stock after learning how much aftermarket ones lean your car out.

Also, the HP claims from SLP are really overzelous and their products in general are overpriced IMO.

I now have a SLP Y pipe, MAF, and smooth bellows sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Black

You are one of the lucky ones. Glad you learned about the MAF. I also resorted back to stock after learning how much aftermarket ones lean your car out.

Also, the HP claims from SLP are really overzelous and their products in general are overpriced IMO.

I now have a SLP Y pipe, MAF, and smooth bellows sitting in my garage collecting dust.
    I am not sure if I am going the header route with my WS6 but hate the factory Y pipe (I still have the first one in my shed!) and decided to give the SLP pipe another chance since it worked pretty well on my other T/A. The smooth bellows came with the Flo Pac and will probably put it on anyway when I add the lid and under the hood ram air. I wanted to do the throttlebody bypass and tried to buy a kit off of E-Bay. I am having problems with the vender so I am asking for my money back. Probably most of these outfits inflate their horsepower claims.

Scott

Thread Information