SLP LT's

This is a discussion on SLP LT's within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I searched through a bunch of threads, so I know I'm gonna hear a lot of "SLP HEADERS SUXXORS! THEIR ...

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

SLP LT's

I searched through a bunch of threads, so I know I'm gonna hear a lot of "SLP HEADERS SUXXORS! THEIR CLEARANCE SUXXX! PACESETTERS FTW!" (ok maybe not exactly that but you get the idea . Now, about the SLP's, I know they have bad ground clearance, but I just bought a wrecked z28, and it had a lot of performance mods done to it. The place I bought it from says the headers are SLP, now, since I'm getting them for really cheap, I'm not too worried about the cost part. But I have heard that they are slightly better performing due to equal length primaries. So, asside from the fact they have bad clearance and fitting issues, and are costly, what is so bad about these? and whats good as well.
    Let the arguing begin...
    2000 Silver Z28 w/ Sports Appearance Package, P&P TB, FTRA, Direct Flow Lid, Pace Setter LT's, ORY, Flowmaster 80, TCI 3000 Stall, Trans Go Shift Kit, Computer Tune, Richmond 3.73's, Bilstein suspension, Edelbrock torque arm, UMI Suspension bars, drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

They're not better performing. Just ugly, overpriced, and have bad ground clearance.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

They will rust...even though SLP says they won't.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    They will rust...even though SLP says they won't.
    This is true. I have personally seen some rusty ass SLP headers myself.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

Dont all headers rust? Except the ones that are true stainless... like I'm saying I didnt buy them, so basically, will they get the job done like other headers? and maybe even a little better?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

well dood...tha fact is atleast you have headers...KICKASS! welcome to the club

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by fwellingtonfiii View Post
    Dont all headers rust? Except the ones that are true stainless... like I'm saying I didnt buy them, so basically, will they get the job done like other headers? and maybe even a little better?
    I think SLP advertises them as stainless tho and charges accordingly. Ya I'd use em if they came with the car. Not a bad deal.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Most long tubes perform about the same, its a general HP gain across the board. If one type is better performing than another it is very minimal and definitely not noticeable. Some guys might say their headers they got were better than another guys due to their dyno numbers but that isnt so true either. stock for stock cars can be different. Long tubes are long tubes. It all comes down to how much you want to spend (all out for stainless kooks or QTPs......or less for some pacesetters etc.) and how well they will fit. I personally bought the Ceramic coated Pacesetters due to cost and fitment. But if you already have the SLP's then just run'em. I plan to eventually going with Kooks or QTP's due to the stainless quality (out last your car), but then I do know that they too have fitment issues (helped on a few installs of them).
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

SLP's Longtubes are made from 409 stainless. They claim that it is a better matting surface for ceramic. The problem is, when the coating comes off, the "409" Stainless Steel will discolor and turn a brownish red and develope a surface contamination that will eventually cause the ceramic to come off.
    That and they are gonna drag everywhere you go and its a nightmare to change plugs with em,.

Thread Information