Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SLP lid...tried for a day and took it back off.

This is a discussion on SLP lid...tried for a day and took it back off. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The lid simply is shit. What do you not get? This is a SIMPLE installation, but when the tabs dont ...

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

The lid simply is shit. What do you not get? This is a SIMPLE installation, but when the tabs dont fit tight in the back and the rear edge of the lid is warped, what can you do? I dont have any kind of aftermarket bellow either. The lid simply sucked. I am not putting it, or any other lid, on my car. Period.

*Not all lids could fit this way or noone would have them. I think I got a shitty one, yes it is the "new" design. Yes I installed and camped it down correctly. No I have no other mods that would cause it to fit wrong.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    maybe you did get a defect, if so send it back and get a new one. But before that, try removing the bellows completely and see if you can get it to fit (Do not crank engine as this is only a fit test for the lid). If so then you are doing something wrong, or not using enough strength. It is a bit of a biatch to get on, but you will know it when it is on good. Mine is a perfect fit with the smooth bellows. Just takes a bit of strength and making sure all 4 tabs go in. But as mentioned above, A LOT of ppl run the SLP lid and have no issues other than the common issue of it being a tight fit. It is also helpful when installing the lid to loosen all clamps ( the ones holding everything from the lid to the throttle body) then once installed be sure to tighten all clamps. That is by far the easiest way I have noticed to do it.
    No its not a bitch to put it on. That is the problem, THe front fits WELL and is somewhat hard to put on. The back just slides these 4 tiny ass tabs into the gaping holes on the radiator support. If the tabs were 1/8'' thicker, didn't flex, and were not at a 45* angle but straight like stock, and the rear edge of the lid wasnt warped, it would have been perfect.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Well seems like you got a defect, sorry to hear that. Don't just give up though see if you can have the company you bought it from give you a new one or better yet I will PM you with a name, number, and extension at SLP. This guy is very customer friendly and will take care of you.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Well seems like you got a defect, sorry to hear that. Don't just give up though see if you can have the company you bought it from give you a new one or better yet I will PM you with a name, number, and extension at SLP. This guy is very customer friendly and will take care of you.

THANKS, I saw your PM before I read this. I am calling the guy now. Honestly, I don't WANT another lid. I just want a refund. I dont want to mess around with that stuff anymore. I have long felt factory was best since every thread I see with a lid in it involves it not fitting. I went out on a limb and tried it. Got burned and I am not happy. I just want my $$ back and will pay shipping back to where I bought it from.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    THANKS, I saw your PM before I read this. I am calling the guy now. Honestly, I don't WANT another lid. I just want a refund. I dont want to mess around with that stuff anymore. I have long felt factory was best since every thread I see with a lid in it involves it not fitting. I went out on a limb and tried it. Got burned and I am not happy. I just want my $$ back and will pay shipping back to where I bought it from.
    well what did you find out?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    well what did you find out?
    Maryland speed was very helpful but told me I needed to talk to SLP. SLP told me they would talk to Maryland speed. This was wednesday. I did not call either company today. Tomorrow I will call back and see what has been done.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Yes, do call back tomorrow. and if nothing else Don at SLP will hook you up and refund your money bypassing Maryland Speed. He did that with me on that linelock, I bought it on WS6store.com and dealt with him only at SLP.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Yes, do call back tomorrow. and if nothing else Don at SLP will hook you up and refund your money bypassing Maryland Speed. He did that with me on that linelock, I bought it on WS6store.com and dealt with him only at SLP.
    Will do.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

I'm on my third lid and I won't mention the first two manufacturers, but the fitment was awful. My SLP lid fits perfectly and looks the nicest of the three. You got a defective one, I'll bet...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

yea dude dont let one bad experience turn you off to modding forever. i find modding my car to be just as enjoyable as owning/driving it.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    yea dude dont let one bad experience turn you off to modding forever. i find modding my car to be just as enjoyable as owning/driving it.
    I honestly would rather just buy a fast car than mod this one. I am still young and have plenty of time to own sick fast stuff, 300whp is enough for me right now. The lid was a failed excercise. I have no need for another.

EDIT:

I also drive a 88 head/cam/full bolt-on AOD to TKO500 swap mustang GT. Modding is over-rated. It is still a mustang GT. I just thought the lid would be a cheap 10whp, but I am not willing to tolerate the sloppy fit and resulting un-filtered air entereing my motor.
    Last edited by stanger88; 05-25-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    I also drive a 88 head/cam/full bolt-on AOD to TKO500 swap mustang GT. Modding is over-rated. It is still a mustang GT. I just thought the lid would be a cheap 10whp, but I am not willing to tolerate the sloppy fit and resulting un-filtered air entereing my motor.
    Weren't you the guy that had a butt-ton of problems with that Mustang? Did you ever get them worked out? I've owned two Fox GTs, a 1989 and 1992. Modding them was great fun as they were easy to work on and cheap. Maybe you should just buy a new Vette, leave it stock and call it a day...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information