Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SLP headers?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

SLP headers?

New member here, asking for help. Looking for some advice on LT headers. Leaning towards SLP because of their claims, but am worried about the ground clearance issue. My car has stock suspension. I also notice most dyno results show only from 3500 RPM/up for HP and Torque gains, does this mean below that throttle response is gone? What about Hooker Super Comp ceramic coated, are they as good as SLP? How about the Pacesetter ceramic LT? Also, one cut out in the 3 inch pipe or (2) 3 inch cutouts right after the headers? Will I regret buying the Pacesetters vs. the SLPs or Hookers or another brand. I am not going to run convertors.
    Thanks!

Awaiting Activation
    don't get SLP as they are the worst for ground clearance. And the gains for all LT's are the same. SLP numbers are always bogus to trick people into buying their products. Pacesetters or hooker will be a good choice if your car is a 3 season car. Though if you drive your car year round in indy you might want to look towards stainless. A good brand of stainless LT's are kooks or QTP.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Whatever you do, get a tune after the LT's or else you wont see that much of a gain and you will be running really rich.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I have seen a lot of people say to get a tune after the headers, thanks. I am now looking at LT and a tune. I don't want to lose the ground clearance.
    So, most everyone agrees that long tubes are best, also make sure the ones to choose are tuned, right? I notice Pacesetters are not tuned. Also, whatever I get will be ceramic.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I have seen a lot of people say to get a tune after the headers, thanks. I am now looking at LT and a tune. I don't want to lose the ground clearance.
    So, most everyone agrees that long tubes are best, also make sure the ones to choose are tuned, right? I notice Pacesetters are not tuned. Also, whatever I get will be ceramic.
    you have to go to a shop and have them tune your cars ecu. The headers don't come tuned already.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

No Slp Headers. Any other brand.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Forget all about the SLP headers, you will regret buying them just like most other people that bought them. Hookers are a good choice, Jet hots are a good choice, Pacesetters are a good choice etc. etc. etc.

A tune after a long tube isnt a MUST but you won't see optimal gains without the tuning and your car will run rich like mentioned before.

Will you be doing the install yourself of will someone else?

Good luck on your decision whichever route you choose, but please listen to everyone and avoid the SLP long tubes.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    you have to go to a shop and have them tune your cars ecu. The headers don't come tuned already.
    Thanks. By tuned headers it means the primary tubes are equal length. I notice not all headers are tuned length. And, everyone agrees that to get the most from the headers to get the ECU tuned. I have a few places here in Indy that can do that, I am also debating about the extra $$$s for a dyno tune, or is that how it is done. What kind of money should I expect to spend on the ECU tune?

I will be doing the install myself, I have been working at Goodyear for 18 years as a mechanic so I will have access to a lift. I have a bunch of Fridays off this month and December so after I get the headers I plan on installing them there.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Anyone else have input? I am now leaning towards Hooker's tuned ceramic coated. Thunder Racing has them for $844 and Jeg's has the same item for $650. I also want some input from somebody who has electric cutouts. I see that Quick Time has them already in thier Y-Pipe for $650. How do you like your cut-outs? I like the idea!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

SLP = old design, hang low, customer service is non-existant.

I always thought the Pacesetter were equal lengths.
    I went with Kooks...but they are pricey.

Cutouts....only get one. Not worth having them at each header on a basic bolt-on car. I personally opted out of getting the electric ones because they tend to start sticking thanks to carbon build-up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I had a friend with a H/C car that blew the plate out of his QTP cutout
    I would go with QTP's and get the merge collectors. JMO

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i got pacesetter and couldn't be happier tune is coming but even now i can feel a difference , my car now has more top end power than my buddies trans am

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I had a friend with a H/C car that blew the plate out of his QTP cutout
    I would go with QTP's and get the merge collectors. JMO
    I have cutouts on both collectors.
    Kooks 1 7/8" longtubes.

I have gone WOT with them capped many times...no issues.
    And I am a H/C 402ci.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

QTP's for sure man. That is a good deal. Don't buy the SLP's. Everybody is right with there comment's.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

OK, thanks for steering me away from the SLP, everyone. I ordered some Hooker Super Competition LT ceramic coated last night. Got their ORY also. I am waiting until spring to get the electric cut-outs, had to compromise with my wife on something! Talked to a local shop about a tune, they said aprox. $650 for a programmer (Hypertech?) and then fine tuning on the dyno. Sound about the right price or to low or too high?

Black
    2001 Pontiac

$650 for a Hypertech is wrong.
    They must be confused, or someone is, ...
    $650 for a full Dyno tune maybe, but even that sounds too high.
    Hypertech, or Hypercrap as some people say, is not worth it. And you can buy them used for $100-150 all day long.
    There are better programmers for a little more money, so maybe they were referring to something else?
    Last edited by PontiacFan; 11-10-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Usually Dyno tune is about $450-$550. $600 sounds high. I would imediately stay away if they mention the word hypertech. For our car it usually is a waste of money. I lost power with it when I was clueless about these cars and found one for cheap. I did a back to back test on the dyno and lost 3rwhp. Some people like Diablo's Predator for a bolt ons car and get a full blown tune once they swap heads or cams or both.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I don't remember which progammer he said. He did say that it would be mine once we tuned it, and he would use it as a basic tune. Then, on the dyno to fine tune the pcm the rest of the way, if it was still too rich, or could adjust the spark curve better than the progammer.

I should research the Diablo. This would be a good idea for a bolt on car like mine? All I have is a lid, a Ravin muffler from Midas, and this week now the headers and ORY. Will I be able to have the Predator eliminate the rear O2 codes and catalyst efficiency codes? So I don't have to get rear O2 sims.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Oh yeah. Ordered the Hookers etc. Thurs. night. Checked the shipping tracking from Fed Ex. It is here in Indy this morning, if I worked today (Sat) I would have them already! So, 2 business days from Jeg's and no extra money to get them that fast. Looks like I should use the factory gasket at the heads?

Silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

I hear some people say the $200 ebay headers are just as good as anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information