Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

slp flow pack... Worth it?

This is a discussion on slp flow pack... Worth it? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by suede even with the slp bellow, i dont think the look is much different at all, ill ...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    even with the slp bellow, i dont think the look is much different at all, ill put up some pictures from the first one i had, i later bought a different one bc i didnt like the way i trimmed the first one.... didnt haveto at all but basically my ocd was killin me and i was bored, oh and dont mind the dust it sat all winter
    To each their own with looks, I compared both and though it was cleaner than the ferncos.

Here's what the SLP looks like on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    The smooth bellow has been said to crack the lid because it doesn't flex like the stock one was intended to when the engine moves.
    3 years with it now, no problems here. Still have stock motor mounts and it twists all over the place when I get on it.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 09-20-2010 at 08:08 PM.

I know alot of people love the volant but I really cannot stand how it looks.

Heres the only thing i'll ever buy from slp. The lid doesnt even fit right, it hits the bottom of the hood. Theres a little mark on the top of the lid.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

i am running an slp lid.with stock accordian style bellows.i cant keep the sucker latched down.lid just wants to come unlatched all the time.and the little tabs barely fit into the slots they are supposed to go into.its a good design without the stock air baffles,but i agree with op.slp is not a good product.buy an mti clear lid or one of those crazy big suncoast air clearers.

You get various opinions on here about lids, SLP, bellows etc...but you have to take into account the various people also working on the cars and the shape the cars were in to begin with. Some lids rub, some don't. Some lids don't fit right, some do. Some people don't like SLP, some do. It is the internet ya know, Shop around and form your own opinion.

I personally don't have a problem with SLP, like metioned, if it weren't for them the SS probably wouldn't be here, as well as some very cool 3rd gens. They have been doing this a long time for a reason. Good or bad?? Prices high?? Depends on how you want to look at it.

As far as lids and bellows, I haven't had a problem with either. Anytime you can smooth the airflow there is going to be some form of improvement. The free ram air mod I tested myself at the track on our SS. With the hood already working there was some controversy as to whether or not the free ram air mod would do anything. Very easy for anyone to do this for all those naysayers that want proof. Try it.
    I put the SLP pack on along with it and went to the track. Very easy to take some duct tape and block the air passages under the lid. With everything open the car consistently went a solid tenth quicker and picked up almost 1 mph. I could block the free ram air under the lid and slow the car down. So it was obvious to me it was picking up some usefull air from the lower air dam. Hot air? Cold air? Didn't really seem to matter on my car, more air was better and the car went faster, very simple.

On our other SS I simply did the free ram air mod, and didn't bother spending the extra money on the duct work. I've seen similar results with that car as well. So if I were starting over, I'd say the duct work isn't a necessity, the free ram air mod will get the job done and save you some coin. I'd do a lid and smooth bellow and just leave it at that.

For those that don't think it works, it's very easy to sit in front of a computer and type an opinion. It's not that much more work to go to the track with a roll of tape. Have some fun while you're at it.
    Generally improvements in this area are difficult to measure on a dyno because the car isn't moving, and alot of those fans don't really simulate how the air flows in and around the car. So get off your duffs and go to the track if you want proof.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

My SLP lid will not latch or sit on the air filter foundation right as well. I am not happy with the whole setup but my money has been going different places and the T/A is lower on the list. What I don't understand is how SLP's quality control has gone down since 2001. I bought the same stuff for my first 2000 Trans Am and had no problems. Fast forward to last summer and the thing won't line up or stay latched on my WS-6. WTF?!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    even with the slp bellow, i dont think the look is much different at all, ill put up some pictures from the first one i had, i later bought a different one bc i didnt like the way i trimmed the first one.... didnt haveto at all but basically my ocd was killin me and i was bored, oh and dont mind the dust it sat all winter

Click for full size

Click for full size
    My whole issue with that Fernco Home Depot connector,,,,,is how to you get the thing to make the 30 degree turn?? That rubber doesn't like to bend that far without causing a kink.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The free ram air mod I tested myself at the track on our SS. With the hood already working there was some controversy as to whether or not the free ram air mod would do anything. Very easy for anyone to do this for all those naysayers that want proof. Try it.
    I put the SLP pack on along with it and went to the track. Very easy to take some duct tape and block the air passages under the lid. With everything open the car consistently went a solid tenth quicker and picked up almost 1 mph. I could block the free ram air under the lid and slow the car down. So it was obvious to me it was picking up some usefull air from the lower air dam. Hot air? Cold air? Didn't really seem to matter on my car, more air was better and the car went faster, very simple.

On our other SS I simply did the free ram air mod, and didn't bother spending the extra money on the duct work. I've seen similar results with that car as well.
    Was the DA exactly the same for all of your runs? Did you shift (if M6) exactly the same for all runs? Was your 60' time exactly the same on all runs? Was the condition of the track exactly the same for all runs? Was the gas exactly the same on all runs? Was the same amount of gas in the car during all runs?

Not trying to be a smart ass here....just pointing out that SEVERAL things can affect a time difference of only .1 sec and almost 1MPH.

I'm not trying to say that adding it doesn't help, but to what degree is the real question. I would have to think that actual DYNO results would be better for something like this as opposed to track time because there would be less variables on a DYNO. Or do you disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    My SLP lid will not latch or sit on the air filter foundation right as well. I am not happy with the whole setup but my money has been going different places and the T/A is lower on the list. What I don't understand is how SLP's quality control has gone down since 2001. I bought the same stuff for my first 2000 Trans Am and had no problems. Fast forward to last summer and the thing won't line up or stay latched on my WS-6. WTF?!

Scott
    Not sure on that one. I do know at some point the lid was redesigned somewhat. The last lid I bought from them was around 04-05 and it fits perfectly, snug as a bug. Not sure how you could buy one in 2000 and it works and yet claim after the fact they got worse, when mine works okay. but it sure is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Was the DA exactly the same for all of your runs? Did you shift (if M6) exactly the same for all runs? Was your 60' time exactly the same on all runs? Was the condition of the track exactly the same for all runs? Was the gas exactly the same on all runs? Was the same amount of gas in the car during all runs?

Not trying to be a smart ass here....just pointing out that SEVERAL things can affect a time difference of only .1 sec and almost 1MPH.

I'm not trying to say that adding it doesn't help, but to what degree is the real question. I would have to think that actual DYNO results would be better for something like this as opposed to track time because there would be less variables on a DYNO. Or do you disagree?
    Everything was exactly the same, running an auto car that never varied from 13.40 to 13.44. Did all this on the same day, it's not hard. Make a few back to back runs, pull in the pits, remove the lid and tape the hole over, reinstall lid and go back out for more runs. Takes a whole 5 minutes, no time for the DA to change. Slowed the car down into the 50's and couldn't make it up. Pulled back in and removed the tape and the car imediately went 13.44.
    Don't take my word for it,,,,just go to the track and try it. Takes a whole 5 minutes of your time in the pits. Anyone can sit here on a computer and knock around ideas and opinions, but actually testing it lays it to rest. It's such a quick and easy change in the pits with a little tape I don't know why people haven't tried this before. I did the same thing a couple years ago flashing in a tune (right in the pits, took 30 seconds) on the same day showing how a decent tune affected a bone stock car.

The Dyno is great for tuning and I agree in that respect. On something like fresh air running accross the nose of the car though, it's hard to duplicate on a dyno unless you're in a wind tunnel.
    So could the dyno see a difference?? Maybe, maybe not. But the track doesn't lie, as long as you don't change your driving habits, and make runs consistently keeping track of DA numbers there is hardly a better way.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

My whole issue with that Fernco Home Depot connector,,,,,is how to you get the thing to make the 30 degree turn?? That rubber doesn't like to bend that far without causing a kink.
    you trim it...

Hmm,,,I didn't have that much luck with it a few years ago. Since it's cheap I might try it again though and take your word for it. If it doesn't work again it's not like I'm out alot of money.
    Do you remember the size and/or part number?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Hmm,,,I didn't have that much luck with it a few years ago. Since it's cheap I might try it again though and take your word for it. If it doesn't work again it's not like I'm out alot of money.
    my first instinct told me 4inch but im not real sure, it was years ago now, but as for when you decide to trim it, try to put it over the maf, then the tb, and just take a carpenters knife or sharp pocket knife and just cut of lil "moon" shaped slivers and see what looks good

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

I've read all the entries on this subject and I have a few questions. I have an '02 Ramair; what is the 'free ram air mod' ur talking about?
    What is fernco connection ?
    I have heard of other 'free' mods that i can do what are they. Mine is stock but I'm ready to do some horsepower mods that don't cost a whole bunch -any suggestions?

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Not sure on that one. I do know at some point the lid was redesigned somewhat. The last lid I bought from them was around 04-05 and it fits perfectly, snug as a bug. Not sure how you could buy one in 2000 and it works and yet claim after the fact they got worse, when mine works okay. but it sure is confusing.
    Sorry, I guess I should have added that the Flo Pack I bought in 2001 went with the car when I traded it in and then bought the same Flo Pack set up for the 2000 WS-6 I bought last summer. It just seems weird to me that their quality control would drop in 8 years. Maybe like you said the redesign messed things up. Hope this clears things up some.

Scott

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's a 3x3.....drop it in some hot water for a few minutes before working with it and it's much easier to put on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    I've read all the entries on this subject and I have a few questions. I have an '02 Ramair; what is the 'free ram air mod' ur talking about?
    What is fernco connection ?
    I have heard of other 'free' mods that i can do what are they. Mine is stock but I'm ready to do some horsepower mods that don't cost a whole bunch -any suggestions?
    "free ram air" is basically just cutting the bottom of your air box so you get air coming up off the radiator. That along with most other free mods is covered at install university

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it's a 3x3.....drop it in some hot water for a few minutes before working with it and it's much easier to put on.
    just outa curiosity orion, did yours fit very snugly? like over the tb?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    Sorry, I guess I should have added that the Flo Pack I bought in 2001 went with the car when I traded it in and then bought the same Flo Pack set up for the 2000 WS-6 I bought last summer. It just seems weird to me that their quality control would drop in 8 years. Maybe like you said the redesign messed things up. Hope this clears things up some.

Scott
    It's cool, no need for appologies. I was just confused. Sounds like it's hit or miss with these things.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Ah okay. I tried trimming one to fit years ago and ruined it I'll try again and see what happens.

Well I experimented with a fernco special

I went for the 3x3 and that was the ticket. It fit around the throttle body and the MAF okay, but there was no way it would make the turn up to the MAF.
    So I trimmed a little at a time, and got it to the point where it fits "okay". It still actually tries to pull the bottom out and away from the throttle body, simply because making that 30 degree angle with a straight piece of rubber is difficult.
    There was still enough of the fernco coupler (about 3/8") to grab the bottom of the throttle body and more than enough for the clamp to do it's job. But I'd still like to see more. I'll have to keep an eye on it and make sure it stays attached, since the motor moves around a tad and the coupler really doesn't offer any give.

But for $6 I guess it works. I still like the SLP bellow on my 02 better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information