Thread: SLP Dual/Dual

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

SLP Dual/Dual

I am in the market for a catback and am really leaning towards the magnaflow. I am seeing the SLP dual/dual on here as well. I was wondering how this compared to a factory trans am exhaust and to the magnaflow in performance and sound. My cas is totally stock except for an SLP lid and bellows. Thanks for any input.

The SLP dual/dual was a factory optioned exhaust on the camaro's and is not available over the counter.
    SLP does however sell a loud mouth system that uses the same dual tips that is available over the counter. It's quite different from the factory setup that utilized a stainless crossflow muffler, as the loudmouth uses a bullet style muffler in the I-pipe and the rear mounted muffler is eliminated.

black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

SLP Dual Dual is pretty quiet, yet it has a tone of its own. There somewhat hard to find used, and you cant get them new anymore.

You can make them louder if you remove the baffle that SLP installed in the I-pipe where it connects to the muffler.

Both of our 4th gens have the dual/dual setup, but I always wondered why my wifes car was louder than mine. I could tell her muffler had been removed from the I-pipe at one time, because it was welded on and the clamp was gone. I had heard of a baffle installed in these systems at some point.
    So I pulled the muffler loose on my car when I recently did a brake job just to look. Sure enough mine has a small baffle installed at the muffler inlet.

I had heard they had gotten noise complaints from this system at some point during the production run (don't know exactly when), and SLP's fix was installing a baffle.

Sorry this isn't answering questions for the original poster, but it's a bit of interesting info none the less.

To help the original question,,,there are alot of people here that would vouch for the Magnaflow system. Many people like the sound, and seems to be good quality.
    There are dozens of 3 inch catback systems to choose from with various price ranges. Everyone has their own taste in sound and noise levels.
    Picking the sound you are after and having a price range to spend will narrow it down.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I am looking for something that at cruising rpm's isn't overly loud inside the car. I want it to sound good all around and be able to hear it at WOT. The factory exhaust is just too quiet all around. The Corsa, GMMG, and Borla are a bit much for what I want to pay for a cat back.

Quote Originally Posted by kempfer99ta View Post
    I am looking for something that at cruising rpm's isn't overly loud inside the car. I want it to sound good all around and be able to hear it at WOT. The factory exhaust is just too quiet all around. The Corsa, GMMG, and Borla are a bit much for what I want to pay for a cat back.
    Sounds like you might be a Magnaflow person.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Does anyone have sound clips of the SLP Dual/Dual. I have heard the Magnaflow, which sounds great. The loudmouth is a bit overly loud, but the price is great. I have thought about buying one used and putting a dlifferent muffler in, like the moroso spiral flow. Not sure if that will quiet it down enough. If you have substituted the muffler in you lm could you post a sound clip as well. All info is much appreciated.

I'm not sure how to download soundclips, but the dual/dual exhaust isn't available over the counter anymore. Unless you have tabs on a used one sitting around somewhere.

Alot of people use the loudmouth also from SLP that are still available and substitute a different bullet muffler for a different sound as you described with good results. If you go to a site called ls1sounds.com you can upload alot of different systems. They may or may not help as sound video can be a bit deceiving.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I went to ls1sounds and listened to a lot of clips. This was the first time I hear a hooker cat back on a otherwise stock ls1 trans am. I was wondering how this compared to the stock system sound and how it sounds inside the car. I am interested in all opinions.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Hooker sounds awesome for the price great flowing also! You really cant go wrong with Hooker or Magnaflow, the only complaints I have ever heard are that Magnaflow was a little raspier, but that was without cats. Hope this helps!

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

well after much research of listening to sounds, with what was said about the performance, and seeing what the tips look like and costs. I have decided on the Hooker catback. Probably going to get one new unless I come across one used for a good price over the next month or so. Thanks for everyone's input it was very helpful and greatlly appriciated.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kempfer99ta View Post
    well after much research of listening to sounds, with what was said about the performance, and seeing what the tips look like and costs. I have decided on the Hooker catback. Probably going to get one new unless I come across one used for a good price over the next month or so. Thanks for everyone's input it was very helpful and greatlly appriciated.
    Good choice, I'm sure you'll love it!

Thread Information