Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

SLP Cold Air Kit

I recently got one of these(yesterday) and was wondering what the long piece of weather stripping was for?? They don't mention it in the instrutions. In the pic it's the long piece with the red stripe on it.

billv
    That is to go on the small opening on the air filter housing so all the air is pulled from the cold air box. It's the area beteen the radiator support and the plastic air box housing below were the two latches that hold the lid on. If you have an SS you are to leave that piece off because that is were the air from the hood goes.

Hope this helps

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Agreed... I installed the SLP CAI on my TA and the extra strip is for blocking the opening at the front of the airbox right underneath the lid.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Thought that might be it. I just wasn't 100% sure.

Also, My filter (stock one) was in a plastic frame that sat in the airbox. The Blackwing filter I got with the kit won't fit in that frame but when it is in the box by itself it feels pretty loose fitting. Something to be concerned about or no??

billv
    I di not have that problem with my filter, it fit in that frame. You need to make sure the filter is tightly sealed at the lid. If not, air and dirt can bypass that filter and go into your engine.

AnToN
    where exactly does this thing go. i know where it starts at in front of the radiator but where does it lead to? the front of the airbox or do u have to cut the bottom of the airbox out. i was thinking about makin one and saving the money. i also have a SS so the hood is in the way unless it goes through the bottom

AnToN
    Also wanted to know the gains u guys got? is it worth it?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Correct, you have to cut out the bottom of the air box. It was pretty simple and it was explained in the directions. You would probably be better of buying it unless you can make it pretty easily and inexpensively. I noticed a little more pull after installing the CAI. I would say it was worth it.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Made my Rod sound a might bit angrier as well.

Cool deal. Fun time cutting with the bare hacksaw blade. Be sure to wear a glove.

AnToN
    just one more question... did a lot of water or dirt get into the filter this way. i know it said u can take it out for certain weather conditions. but does that become a hassle?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I dont think water or dirt would be a problem. I've driven my car in the rain and its fine. Don't worry about taking it out for the weather, it's too much work.

Thread Information