Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slp airlid help

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

slp airlid help

i bought a slp lid off a member of ls1tech and got it yesterday. heres the problem.

the 90 degree pipe that comes out on the drivers side does not have the hose that attaches to it and it appears to be filled with something as he does not have emissions.

I do have emmisions and need the hose and that 90 fitting. is there a way to make this work for me?

the hole for nitrous set up i can get a rubber grommet and fill that.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

you should have bought one new for $90 they come with all the hookups screws and hoses otherwise just look for the hose on ebay

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

i got lid and filter for 80 shipped but was also told everything needed for hook up was included, miscommunication on wether i had emissions or not.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

i got mine new on ebay for $90.90 shiped had it all was a perfect installation, id sat if i were you put that one on ebay and re-ored a new one, ive seen alot of the used slp lids go on ebay for $80 i tried to get a used one for $60 but all of them got bidded up to 80 and i relized a could just get a new one for 90 im glad i did plus the stock lid sold for 20 so i basically got mine new and shipped for $70

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

im thinking you were probably right david. I called slp and those three parts are almost 1/3 the cost of the lid. now i need to see if the guy will take it back cause he told me it had everything i needed but obviously it doesnt. unless someone on here has the 90 hose and straight fitting they can sell.

GROUND KONTROL C.C. CEO SSMuscle's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    i got lid and filter for 80 shipped but was also told everything needed for hook up was included, miscommunication on wether i had emissions or not.
    I believe you bought the 98-99 version........because I think that they don't come with hoses, and the 2000-2002 do come with hoses. If I'm correct.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SSMuscle View Post
    I believe you bought the 98-99 version........because I think that they don't come with hoses, and the 2000-2002 do come with hoses. If I'm correct.

i believe its the right one. it has the 90 degree fitting which previous owner filled with silicone to seal up but no hose or straight fitting.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You could try the Help! section at any parts store or take a ride down to your local salvage yard -- chances are you'll find something that will work. Did you try to call or e-mail the guy to see if he has the parts laying around his garage and just forgot to include them?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You could try the Help! section at any parts store or take a ride down to your local salvage yard -- chances are you'll find something that will work. Did you try to call or e-mail the guy to see if he has the parts laying around his garage and just forgot to include them?

im waiting on response and i have seen him online twice today with no response but his itrader rating is good so maybe someone else in family is on computer and the has the site for his home page. i dont know. I put a thread in the the wanted to buy trade section. maybe i will try the help too.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The fittings and line which you are in need of simply allow filtered air into the air pump before it is passed to the secondary air control valve. A very easy fix would be to splice a breather into the line and tuck it underneath so it is out of sight -- but still protected from water incursion.

On our car, the hose system flops back towards the engine from the air lid and I had to zip tie it to the wire harness to try and hold it in position. This may be a simple solution should you not be able to come up with the necessary parts.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ditch the hose... cap the side of the lid...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    ditch the hose... cap the side of the lid...

ok so a small filter on the end of the hose will work then?

someone else told me that hose pumps air into the lid to be reabsorbed into the throttle body.

this is becoming such a PITA

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

ok so a small filter on the end of the hose will work then?

someone else told me that hose pumps air into the lid to be reabsorbed into the throttle body.

this is becoming such a PITA

Bad info... the line from the air filter runs down to an electric air pump that is located in front of the left tire. Access to the air pump is from beneath the car by removing a couple of 10mm bolts on the splash shield.

The air pump only runs on start up for a short time. It draws air from the air lid and pushes it through the rubber hose that lays on top of your driver side wheel well. This hose circles around the back of the engine bay to a vacuum actuated diverter valve that sits on top of your engine.

The air splits at this valve and is directed into each exhaust manifold after traveling through a control valve which prevents exhaust from traveling back into the system. The sole purpose of the system is to pump fresh air to the catalytic converters which starts the chemical reaction sooner, thereby lowering emissions on cold start up.

The pump simply needs a clean source of air, which is why it connects to the air lid -- on top of the air filter. The system tends to malfuntion with time as the control valves will go bad either due to heat and age, or carbon buildup. Many guys will remove the entire system and have their PCMs re-programmed to ignore the secondary air error code that will trigger the SES light.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

thanks pajeff

i found a local speed shop that sold me the parts i needed for more than i wanted to spend but a good deal none the less. now i need to try and get the guy who sold it to me to split the bill

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

good luck wit that...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SSMuscle View Post
    good luck wit that...
    well the guy was really cool and slit the difference with me.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Glad it worked out for you.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

well the guy was really cool and slit the difference with me.
    kool

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

nice guy, i would of thought he would of left it at that and not contact you back.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Nope he hooked me up and i made sure to give him a great trader rating

Thread Information