Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

SLP 160' Thermostat

I already have this item and want to install it.
    I live in usually hot weather, not sure if that matters for this.
    I understand I need to wait until I have a programmer so I can
    set my engine fans at 160' as well.
    My mechanic ill advised me of installing this, said this will cause my
    car to not run right or as intended.

My question is:
    How many of you have this or a 160' thermostat installed?
    How many advise installation of this item?
    What harm can be done?

Thanks so much for your input.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've got one but haven't installed it yet. Waitin till my new cam to come. Everyone I know uses it.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

It will raise your emissions a tad probably making passing emissions test a lil harder and it "might" make it a little slower to warm all the way up in the winter but thats it.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Thanks for the input so far guys, good stuff.
    Please keep the opinions coming folks, there has to be
    some more of us with a 160' thermostat...

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I don't have one and don't want one. Your car is going to run at a operating temp. after the stat. opens whether it's a 160, 180, 190. unless you program your fans to turn on earlier and try to keep the temp. down. I would rather let the engine be 190 and not have my fans running and drawing power just for a few degrees that show no power increase. Unless you have overheat problems I believe the LS1 likes 190.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

...every hp counts...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I would dare say that at least half of the people on here have changed to a 160 degree thermostat and I dought that any one of us would even think of changing back to that 190 degree thermostat. The engine runs fine with the cooler thermostat, with no problems and it runs a bit cooler which is better as far as I am concerned.. You know that "HEAT" is the enemy of engines.
    Last edited by JEB; 06-21-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    JEB

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

count me in too

I am changing mine has soon has it arrives via ups, it is almost 100 here daily not to mention the humidity, our winters are like 1.5 months and the lows are like 35 max, old school thinking was the cooler the better, looks like that is still the thinking too. I have yet to actually read where you can reprogram you fans to come on earlier via a programmer, just a lot of talk about it. I would be interested in reading a how to on that subject although I am not too concerned about that.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    I am changing mine has soon has it arrives via ups, it is almost 100 here daily not to mention the humidity, our winters are like 1.5 months and the lows are like 35 max, old school thinking was the cooler the better, looks like that is still the thinking too. I have yet to actually read where you can reprogram you fans to come on earlier via a programmer, just a lot of talk about it. I would be interested in reading a how to on that subject although I am not too concerned about that.
    Do a search on here because there are many posts on changing fan settings and it is a must or the temp will still rise until the factory setting turns the fan on at like 220 I think. I also think the computer is looking for a temperature to go from open to closed loop and the lower temp. can mess with this. Try the search on all of this.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Does this also mean that your fan is on more often/all the time or is everything the same?

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Does this also mean that your fan is on more often/all the time or is everything the same?
    Yes if you set it to come on at 195 or 200 it will run alot more just to try and keep the temp down. Some people set it lower than that even. One long stop light and the temp will be up on any car.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Is anyone else using this thermostat or have any input on this thread?
    I really don't want to return the item if it is worthwhile to install.
    Thanks.

10's N/A

First time i've heard anybody knocking this mod - but there's a first for everything. Pretty much all of the LS1/LT1's I see - especially in sizzling California -- run them. You won't hurt your engine without a programmer, you just won't be taking full advantage of this mod. Your car will still run fine. A programmer will just set the fan-on temp. A cooler intake charge will give you a little bit more timing advance and a little bit more horsepower. I couldn't imagine why anyone would not wan't their engine to run signifigantly cooler for just a small sacrifice of gas-mileage.
    Last edited by N20LT4; 06-24-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spell check
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    First time i've heard anybody knocking this mod - but there's a first for everything. Pretty much all of the LS1/LT1's I see - especially in sizzling California -- run them. You won't hurt your engine without a programmer, you just won't be taking full advantage of this mod. Your car will still run fine. A programmer will just set the fan-on temp. A cooler intake charge with give you a little bit more timing advance and a little bit more horsepower. I couldn't imagine why anyone would not wan't their engine to run signifigantly cooler for just a small sacrifice of gas-mileage.
    Excellent post, thank you.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Did this tonite...

I have had this thermo to do for a while so tonite was has good has any...
    The install is easy enough except:
    the housing bolts unscrew very hard once broken loose, so when I put mine back in I hit them with some 3 in 1 oil, much better, never cease would work good too I suppose. Once back together since no one mentioned LS1's dont have bleeders for the cooling system, I had to burp her the hard way, take the tb bypass hose loose, first time I ran her she ran about 250, so I shut her down, let her cool and then went at burping her again, much better.
    Burping and clean up take longer than the install, IMHO.

OK, now the real info:
    I did not re-tune my fans since I have no tuner but my car does run cooler, no doubt, even if it was has lil has 10 degrees I am happy, before the needle was just past the 210 hash mark all the time, now its to the left of the 210 hash mark, very pleased, every lil bit helps. This temp was with the a/c on and running at 80 mph on the hiway AND around town with an air temp of 85 degrees with 50 percent humidity.

Worth the trouble and effort, did not notice any real change in the fans at all, seemed normal.
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    I have had this thermo to do for a while so tonite was has good has any...
    The install is easy enough except:
    the housing bolts unscrew very hard once broken loose, so when I put mine back in I hit them with some 3 in 1 oil, much better, never cease would work good too I suppose. Once back together since no one mentioned LS1's dont have bleeders for the cooling system, I had to burp her the hard way, take the tb bypass hose loose, first time I ran her she ran about 250, so I shut her down, let her cool and then went at burping her again, much better.
    Burping and clean up take longer than the install, IMHO.

OK, now the real info:
    I did not re-tune my fans since I have no tuner but my car does run cooler, no doubt, even if it was has lil has 10 degrees I am happy, before the needle was just past the 210 hash mark all the time, now its to the left of the 210 hash mark, very pleased, every lil bit helps. This temp was with the a/c on and running at 80 mph on the hiway AND around town with an air temp of 85 degrees with 50 percent humidity.

Worth the trouble and effort, did not notice any real change in the fans at all, seemed normal.
    Sounds like your original stat was bad because my factory one is always to the left of 210 in all the cases you describe also. That is what I said earlier, if you have a problem then change it out. There are also a ton of threads about how these gages after 98 are so dumbed down that they are nowhere near accurate so where the needle points is very suspect. This is an old debate and I think most people with arguments against it have stated there cases in the old threads that I recommended searching for. It is cheap and easy enough so I see everybody doing it.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I went with a 160 and reprogramed my fans. i run between 185 and 190 now and im happy with it. THe cooler temps should help the motor, and maybe get you a hp or two lol.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    I went with a 160 and reprogramed my fans. i run between 185 and 190 now and im happy with it. THe cooler temps should help the motor, and maybe get you a hp or two lol.
    i have same thing 160 stat with reprogrammed fans and also i have a manual fan switch that has high and low speed really helps in 90 plus temps ,highly recommend a fan switch and a 160 on lt1 or ls1 evvery bit helps my car runs at least 20 degrees cooler

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I don't have one and don't want one. Your car is going to run at a operating temp. after the stat. opens whether it's a 160, 180, 190. unless you program your fans to turn on earlier and try to keep the temp. down. I would rather let the engine be 190 and not have my fans running and drawing power just for a few degrees that show no power increase. Unless you have overheat problems I believe the LS1 likes 190.
    if you're moving it will run at whatever the thermostat is set at.

the ls1 might not be bothered by 190-200 degree temps, but you must realize it is there for emissions purposes only. not because the motor runs better (power wise) there.

i believe 160 is on the verge of being too low.

my concern with having a thermo and fan set at different temps, would be having the thermo open at 160 and i wonder if the fans would even be able to stop it from overheating because they need the thermo to be closed at some point to let the coolant stay in the rad long enough to be cooled.

the TPI vettes had i think it was 235-240 degree thermos in them... too pass emissions...

Thread Information