Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1999 T/A

simply cutting of cats? worth it?

instead of lts, what would happen if I just cut the cats after the manifold and ran a pipe instead of cats? will my car still be loud? cause i might not be able to get lts yet

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

what do you mean instead of longtubes? cats have nothing to do with longtubes man. cats are there for emissions and really have no other uses than being a pain in the ass.

if you arent going to get headers yet look at getting an off road y pipe which is catless and will save you the trouble youre getting into. yes the car will still be loud. i assume you have a catback exhaust already?

black, and black
    04 M6

cats

i cut my cats off today and i noticed a power increase and it sounds awesome

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I think I remember a dyno posted somewhere that claimed cat removal was worth 7HP...

black, and black
    04 M6

cats

i would think more than that, they claim an off road pipe can give up to 20 hp and bassically cutting the cats off is a off road pipe, but i didnt notice free reveing, more power since i done mine

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Do you have to deleate them to do this? I mean the codes in the computer for the cats,deleate them with a performance program?I'm interrested in doing mine too.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

You have to delete the rear o2s in the computer, use sims, or trick them like this: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93604 .

black, and black
    04 M6

o2 codes

i have a diablo and i deleted the o2 codes from mine no codes yet

If you plan on getting long tubes sometime in the future it wouldn't be worthwhile to invest in a (manifold) style off road Y-pipe,,,thats $200 down the tubes you could have put towards headers.

I can tell you from my own experience,,,I have removed my cats,,,what I did is purchase another used pair that were already gutted. I didn't want to gut mine since they were both recently replaced under warranty.

Anyway I plan on headers and off road Y-pipe in the future so I didn't want to invest too much money in this experiment. Here is what I have found.

It changed my LTFT's quite a bit,,,computer was adding more fuel so I had to adjust for that (using HPtuners) I also of course had to delete the rear 02's but thats not a big deal.

The car was only very slightly louder than before. Still using the stock manifolds,,,and mine has the optional CME exhaust from SLP so it's really not loud anyway.

At the track the car ran the same ET's and MPH's,,,no performance improvement from what I have found so far.
    Next are headers and Y-pipe and back to the track. Hope that helps.

black, and black
    04 M6

cost

it only costed me 30 dollars to have my cats deleted and pipe welded in, of course i have to cut them off myself muffler shops wont do it

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

any tips on cutting out and replacing the cats with pipe?

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    it only costed me 30 dollars to have my cats deleted and pipe welded in, of course i have to cut them off myself muffler shops wont do it
    Where did you get it done for $30? I'd like to have mine deleted. I have a Hypertech but doesn't have that option. Darn!

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

how do you delete the rear 02s? if i just gut them and put them back on, will it still throw a code?

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    how do you delete the rear 02s? if i just gut them and put them back on, will it still throw a code?
    You gut the cats and then use o2 sims or have them deleted/tuned out. Just try mechanical O2 simulators. I have 2 here if you want for a few $$$. Where r u located?

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i am in prattville alabama. is it something i can do with a diablo handheld tuner?

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    i am in prattville alabama. is it something i can do with a diablo handheld tuner?
    Yes, Diablo Predator(?) is capable of !O2s. Never used that hand held so I wouldn't know how.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

why delete your cats?? all they do is clean up the air. i plan on getting high flow cats when i get home to texas in a few weeks. they dont hold your hp back as far as everyone thinks and they arent a bad thing

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

cats are pointless if your looking for performence ... all they do is restrict airflow, so if you dont have to worry about emission just cut them out and weld in a pipe or buy a 3" ORY from pacesetter for $120

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    cats are pointless if your looking for performence ... all they do is restrict airflow, so if you dont have to worry about emission just cut them out and weld in a pipe or buy a 3" ORY from pacesetter for $120
    The alternative to that is high-flow cats. I use a Random Technology cat that flows very well. I figured I had to do my part somehow on conserving our enviorment

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    The alternative to that is high-flow cats. I use a Random Technology cat that flows very well. I figured I had to do my part somehow on conserving our enviorment
    lol i just leave the conserving the enviorment parts to the tree huggers that drive the little 50 mpg honda's they make it up for me but i think removing the cats or cat is a good way to get some extra ponies.

Thread Information