Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

simply cutting of cats? worth it?

This is a discussion on simply cutting of cats? worth it? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; well right now i am just wanting to gut them, because it will be a little bit before i get ...

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

well right now i am just wanting to gut them, because it will be a little bit before i get headers and have them installed. i already have my ory pipe, i was just wanting to make it a little louder for now. so just undo them, jam something in there to break it up, and then reinstall, and then put the diablo in to fix the code? does that sound correct? thanks guys for the help.

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

i personally had trouble breaking the honeycomb inside my cat ... i used a steel rod and tried at it for about a hour lol the damn thing just didnt want to break. But yes if you have a diablo it will delete the rear o2 sensors. All it dos is set off the check engine light which means nothing lol

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    lol i just leave the conserving the enviorment parts to the tree huggers that drive the little 50 mpg honda's they make it up for me but i think removing the cats or cat is a good way to get some extra ponies.
    Yes it definitely is, but I figured a high-flow cat wouldn't hurt much.

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    i personally had trouble breaking the honeycomb inside my cat ... i used a steel rod and tried at it for about a hour lol the damn thing just didnt want to break. But yes if you have a diablo it will delete the rear o2 sensors. All it dos is set off the check engine light which means nothing lol
    Punched mine out with a piece of re-barb. It takes some effort to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    well right now i am just wanting to gut them, because it will be a little bit before i get headers and have them installed. i already have my ory pipe, i was just wanting to make it a little louder for now. so just undo them, jam something in there to break it up, and then reinstall, and then put the diablo in to fix the code? does that sound correct? thanks guys for the help.
    I experimented with gutting mine with the car being relatively stock other than some custom tuning. It didn't do anything for performance at all, car ran the same ET and MPH. What it did do is make the exhaust tone slightly louder,,,,but I mean slightly, so little that my wife didn't even notice it.

Wasn't worth the effort really on mine, but I wanted to try. But of course like I said, an internally stock motor,,,,maybe something more radical with camshaft and what not might see different results.

I saw more of a change in sound and ET/MPH when the long tubes went on along with an off road Y-pipe,,,,so you may want to save yourself the trouble until then.

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    i would think more than that, they claim an off road pipe can give up to 20 hp and bassically cutting the cats off is a off road pipe, but i didnt notice free reveing, more power since i done mine
    Back in the days when cats first came out that would have been true but today it about 5HP hardly anything. plus its kind of nice not to have your care smelling toxic all day. had the cats deleted on my LT1, not doing that again. The HP increse is not worth the smell plus I think the exhaust sounds better with them in. To each his own.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

i had mine chopped off w/a pipe in their place. noticably louder end more top end also. no funny smell either. bottom line, im happy. (for now)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information