Simple Mods

This is a discussion on Simple Mods within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am thinking of purchasing the DiabloSport Predator U7198 tuner and the SLP Air Lid. I just wanted know if ...

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

Simple Mods

I am thinking of purchasing the DiabloSport Predator U7198 tuner and the SLP Air Lid. I just wanted know if anyone has these products and is happy with them or not. Also if any one has any suggestions for cheap simple to install mods i'd be glad to hear them

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

The lid is a good idea, but don't waste your $ on the tuner - get a mail order tune from Frost - he's a sponser on this site. Reasonably priced too, and you'll be much happier. Subframe connectors are a good mod, and after that there are a lot of choices. If you are an auto, many like to install a higher stall converter. Long tube headers and exhaust (depending on emmisions requirements in your area) are good mods to start with also. Also, don't mess with the MAF - mass air flow sensor - the factory one is good enough.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Doing the same thing on my 99 Z... Big question here is, what defines "cheap?"

Forget the tuner as said, mail your ecu to frost when you need a tune.

SLP lid is practically a given. But the gain you'll get isn't really noticeable alone. There are other lids out there besides SLP, I can't really comment on quality of them though, I've only had stock and SLP. I can tell you fitment on the SLP is tight, and you may need to "finesse" it a bit.

For under $500 ($2-300 from salvage or maybe used on ebay, don't forget the nickel & dime stuff too,) you can also put on ls6 intake manifold. That should cover your first stage induction mods.

ls6 valley cover is about to go in for me here with a new manifold, but I'm doing it more as a perm fix for a melting PCV tube. Your call on how much work you want to do, how much you want to spend.

Sub-frame connectors should definitely be one of the first things you do before juicing up the hp/torque. Uni-body cars like to bend a lot.

You're in Carmel, as in CA? Exhaust is going to be the next place to look to add power for low cost/ home mods. But one of the Cali guys would have to warn you where you can take that. I think long tubes are illegal in CA? No real idea though.

Check out the free ram air mod. If it wasn't already done.

Couple other questions:
    auto or stick?
    how many miles?
    Last edited by TokerM; 10-18-2010 at 01:52 PM.

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Doing the same thing on my 99 Z... Big question here is, what defines "cheap?"

Forget the tuner as said, mail your ecu to frost when you need a tune.

SLP lid is practically a given. But the gain you'll get isn't really noticeable alone. There are other lids out there besides SLP, I can't really comment on quality of them though, I've only had stock and SLP. I can tell you fitment on the SLP is tight, and you may need to "finesse" it a bit.

For under $500 ($2-300 from salvage or maybe used on ebay, don't forget the nickel & dime stuff too,) you can also put on ls6 intake manifold. That should cover your first stage induction mods.

ls6 valley cover is about to go in for me here with a new manifold, but I'm doing it more as a perm fix for a melting PCV tube. Your call on how much work you want to do, how much you want to spend.

Sub-frame connectors should definitely be one of the first things you do before juicing up the hp/torque. Uni-body cars like to bend a lot.

You're in Carmel, as in CA? Exhaust is going to be the next place to look to add power for low cost/ home mods. But one of the Cali guys would have to warn you where you can take that. I think long tubes are illegal in CA? No real idea though.

Check out the free ram air mod. If it wasn't already done.

Couple other questions:
    auto or stick?
    how many miles?
    My car is a stick, and i live in Carmel New York not cali (unfortunately) and emissions aren't an issue.
    the only mods it has on it right now are a K&N air filter, slp exhaust and a skip shift eliminator. I was looking for stuff thats like under 500 that i can install myself, (i'm not a mechanic i'm just an enthusiast) nothing too crazy. my car currently has 77000 miles and is going to be my daily driver.

2002 Camaro

I'd do the free ram air mod for sure if you haven't already. Easy and free mod for more airflow.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yup... You're doing exactly the same thing as me... I want to learn to do all the mods myself.

SFCs (if you can weld, get the weld-ons, I can't so I went with the bolt-ons. Not that big a deal.) Easy install.

I also put a short throw shifter in mine. That's stupidly easy.

Look into the ls6 intakes, easily done for under $500, and a simple bolt-on swap.

I'm farting out of stock exhaust myself, so again, I'll let some of the other people comment on if you should change yours from SLP. General consensus seems to be that the only things SLP makes that are any good are the air lids and line locks.

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Yup... You're doing exactly the same thing as me... I want to learn to do all the mods myself.

SFCs (if you can weld, get the weld-ons, I can't so I went with the bolt-ons. Not that big a deal.) Easy install.

I also put a short throw shifter in mine. That's stupidly easy.

Look into the ls6 intakes, easily done for under $500, and a simple bolt-on swap.

I'm farting out of stock exhaust myself, so again, I'll let some of the other people comment on if you should change yours from SLP. General consensus seems to be that the only things SLP makes that are any good are the air lids and line locks.
    I'm surprising really happy with my slp exhaust. It's quiet when you want it to be and loud enough (for a dd) when you get on it. As far as sfc's i think the hochkis ones are reasonably priced. what kind of short shifter did you buy?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I went with a MGW. I was researching a bunch of brands, and saw that most people go with a Pro 5.0 as those have been around for a while. MGW used to only do Cobra shifters. Enough of a demand was there for a t-56 shifter, so they started making them.

I can't compare my MGW to anything other than stock, but I was reading more than a few reviews from people that have used both and preferred the MGW. MGW was a bit more than a Pro (~$20?) so I went there.

That being said.... I LOVE MY SHIFTER!! Very short and tight! The strong centering springs make 2-3 shifting a breeze!

However, I never read anyone complain about the Pro 5.0, so look into both of them, I was only able to find the t-56 MGW from the factory, but there are a few different places you can find the Pro to help with competitive pricing.

Thread Information