Black
    98 Z28

Shorty headers worth the money?

My 98 Z has SLP lid, K&N filter, FTRA induction and a hooker cat-back.

Thinking about buying shorty headers. My question is what is the HP gain?How much can i expect to have shortys installed?
    Thank You.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You'll see more of a gain then a 00+ would....i'd say 10rwhp maybe. You can get coated pacesetters for $430 from thunderracing....just install yourself.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

no, not worth the money, longtubes are.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

however if you get the short headers, of course the 50-state street legal ones, you could never get a ticket or ever have to swap them out. JUST A THOUGHT.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

if youre from cali, shortys are about the most easy thing to do.
    expect about 10 rwhp.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I got the Hooker catback with SLP LT's and catless Y. This thing is absolutely soul stirring. With the cam it chops real nice, and over 4000 rpm it brings back memories of the 427 big block my brother had in his Chevelle. Another good thing though, under 4000 it sounds like a Mustang with no cats and good sounding mufflers, but over that kids start runnin' for Momma. Forget the shorties, get long tubes!! Don't get the SLP setup though, the ground clearance is horrible.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

For all of you that said for him to "forget the shorties, get the long tubes", I noticed that you are not in kali, where our cars are either over 5 years old or approching it and must be smog checked every 2 years, longtubes or any sort of CATLESS exhaust is not a reasonable option. I, too, would like to know what gains can be had with shorties.
    2002 T/A Firehawk,M6,Black,IROC Spoiler,Chrome wheels,base suspension and diff.SLP CAI,Y-pipe,SFC,STB,Lightweight steel flywheel,SLP pulley,descreened MAF,B&M Ripper,steel 3/4 shift fork,SLP rear LCA,4:10 gears,T/A girdle with stud kit,HPP3.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKNYU
    For all of you that said for him to "forget the shorties, get the long tubes", I noticed that you are not in kali, where our cars are either over 5 years old or approching it and must be smog checked every 2 years, longtubes or any sort of CATLESS exhaust is not a reasonable option. I, too, would like to know what gains can be had with shorties.
    Catless exhaust is not legal in any state as I recall. But somehow, a whole lot of people have it, and can get them inspected. I am one of them. Even if you got to put the stock exhaust back on it once every two years, it would be well worth the effort. I have to get mine inspected EVERY year, but if you know the right people, you can get it done. If I had to throw the stock exhaust back on it to get it inspected, then I would gladly do so. But, guaranteed I will snatch it right back off there the minute that sticker is put on it.

The amount of power you will lose due to shorties/cats vs. LT's/No cats will only grow as your mods increase, such as Cam, Intake, and Heads. You might be looking at sacrificing 20 or 30 rwhp after all serious mods are done.

In every ride I have had, from a badass 88 stepside with a nasty small block, an 01 Cobra, and the Z28, the cats have always been a power-sucking additions that take the "Gotdamn! What is that coming down the road?" out of the exhaust.

Anyway, the shorties should give you a decent HP/TQ increase (10 rwhp or so, previously stated), and some high flow cats will prolly add another 5 or 10 rwhp. I would guesstimate about 15 rwhp all together, on top of the Hooker's gains. 25 rwhp, shorties, HFC's, and Hooker.

GM Service Advisor

Black

I can appreciate the "putting them on and taking them off" routine, as I am over 50 years old and have been doing this a long time. I just happen to have have gotten to lazy for that now. With my current 2 vehicles I have decided not to do any smog illegal mods because in the long run, it is not worth it to me. Both, my 454SS and my Hawk are respectably quick rides that start and run everyday with no tampering and I don't have to make a quick U-turn when they put up a roadside check station or they call for my vehicle at the test only center. I work at a dealer and chose not to have to fool around with my car or truck every other day clearing SES lights and stuff, I like to set it and forget it.

But thanks for the answer about the shorties, thats about what I figured, and just so you'll know, aftermarket cats are illegal in kali until the car is out of the emissions warranty which is 8 years 80,000 miles. It's the same basic law that makes the longtubes illegal.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I can appreciate the "putting them on and taking them off" routine, as I am over 50 years old and have been doing this a long time. I just happen to have have gotten to lazy for that now. With my current 2 vehicles I have decided not to do any smog illegal mods because in the long run, it is not worth it to me. Both, my 454SS and my Hawk are respectably quick rides that start and run everyday with no tampering and I don't have to make a quick U-turn when they put up a roadside check station or they call for my vehicle at the test only center. I work at a dealer and chose not to have to fool around with my car or truck every other day clearing SES lights and stuff, I like to set it and forget it.

But thanks for the answer about the shorties, thats about what I figured, and just so you'll know, aftermarket cats are illegal in kali until the car is out of the emissions warranty which is 8 years 80,000 miles. It's the same basic law that makes the longtubes illegal.
    I would have rather had a 454SS to work with than the standard 350 stepside single cab. I think I could have made a whole lot more power with the modified big block than the modified small block. Port work, high compression pistons, and a big roller cam with an 850 double pumper and a good intake would have made serious HP in a 454SS.

GM Service Advisor

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    I would have rather had a 454SS to work with than the standard 350 stepside single cab. I think I could have made a whole lot more power with the modified big block than the modified small block. Port work, high compression pistons, and a big roller cam with an 850 double pumper and a good intake would have made serious HP in a 454SS.
    Yeah, you're right about that...but there you go again with that big cam and double pumper...ah,ah,ah...not until she's 20 years old, then no more smog tests!

Then here I come with a 572!!!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Yeah, you're right about that...but there you go again with that big cam and double pumper...ah,ah,ah...not until she's 20 years old, then no more smog tests!

Then here I come with a 572!!!
    I am like Tim the Toolman Taylor, I just can't leave 'em stock! I suffer from classic gearhead sydrome, or CGS for short.

Black
    98 Trans Am

On an 02 like yours.....maybe 3rwhp! Not worth the swap!

GM Service Advisor

Black

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    On an 02 like yours.....maybe 3rwhp! Not worth the swap!
    That's what I really thought and is why I don't have them.

Thanks.

2003 Chevy Silverado

I originally thought that the gains from long-tubes vs shorties was only about 2-4 hp difference. To me that's not worth spending the extra hundreds of dollars.

I've since come to realize that the difference is more like 15-20 and now I'm thinking it's probably worth the extra money.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What the heck is a Roadside Check Station?? Do they actually set up a barracade and inspect vehicles for modifications as they go through?? Thats crazy.

I suppose the "test only center" is the same deal, California is ridiculous with that stuff

GM Service Advisor

Black

Yup, the Roadside Checks come and go but the Smog test at the test only can happen anytime your car is slated for a smog inpection(happened to my truck last year).But that stuff only goes on in whats called "controlled counties" where the big cities are, and Los Angeles is one of them.

Thread Information