Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shorties Plus Mid Pipe

This is a discussion on Shorties Plus Mid Pipe within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SMWS6TA in addition to what FBJ stated, shorties are also used for turbo builds too. Right, isn't ...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    in addition to what FBJ stated, shorties are also used for turbo builds too.
    Right, isn't that because they produce a "bigger" gain down low (offsetting lag), whereas long tubes improve mid to high rpm torque?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I believe it has to do with the routing of the piping to and from the turbo if the the turbo/s are front mounted. However if you run a STS rear turbo setup then LT's would benefit this setup.

Yes on LT's improving the mid to high range, This range is an important point the torque curve begins to decrease and the HP needs to rise. It's that point in the power curve where higher HP #'s over TQ is better.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Installing Headers and Exhaust on a LS1 Camaro Engine

you will notice in that article that after a shorty swap AND a borla catback they found a whopping 9HP to the wheels. Shorty headers are a useless mod. When you factor in the cost of those for the gains you get you're better off sticking with the stock manifolds.

As for price I have trouble feeling sorry for you guys buying headers these days. You guys have so many more options than we had 10-12 years ago it's not even funny. I think I paid ~$600 for pacesetter coated headers back when I bought mine. Hookers were $600. You only option after that went to $1000+ stainless. I just looked on ebay and there's a set of stainless longtubes there for $180 SHIPPED.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's just money. You'll make more tomorrow.
    It's on jackstands.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Installing Headers and Exhaust on a LS1 Camaro Engine

you will notice in that article that after a shorty swap AND a borla catback they found a whopping 9HP to the wheels. Shorty headers are a useless mod. When you factor in the cost of those for the gains you get you're better off sticking with the stock manifolds.

As for price I have trouble feeling sorry for you guys buying headers these days. You guys have so many more options than we had 10-12 years ago it's not even funny. I think I paid ~$600 for pacesetter coated headers back when I bought mine. Hookers were $600. You only option after that went to $1000+ stainless. I just looked on ebay and there's a set of stainless longtubes there for $180 SHIPPED.
    Thank you for the link, sir. That makes clear the general sentiment around here.

So, are you saying that all long tubes are created equal?

I was working in a stall next to a kid with a 300ZX. I was installing a sway bar. He was installing a cat-back exhaust (going from an after-market single exit to an after-market dual exit out of a y-pipe). Sure, when he opened up the packaging and laid out all the pieces, it looked cool and enviable. But, on closer inspection, looking at the parts, not only did the welds look cheap, but the fitment was pathetic. He wound up breaking a hole in the muffler trying to bend/stretch the one side to fit under the contouring of the rear bumper. All said and done, the right tail pipe was wedged up against the the painted surface of the bumper, and the left tail pipe hung and kinda bounced as he drove the car, and the whole thing wasn't even centered. How much did he pay? $170 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    It's just money. You'll make more tomorrow.
    Believe me, I keep trying to tell myself the same...
    Last edited by Naaman; 03-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.

No, not all long tubes are created equal. I've had my share of cheaper brands and expensive. It depends on the car in question and the intended purpose as to what type of header I want/need.

In the case of the ebay stainless headers, I've always heard pretty decent reviews of them among the LS crowd so they sound like a viable option. For $180 I'd be willing to experiment on our 4th gens. I've spent much more on experiments in the past $180 doesn't get you much else nowadays so why not,,,,give it a shot.

Those and a catted Y from Texas Speed and you,re set.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

eBay "Option Racing" Headers review

read through that thread dedicated to ebay headers. Maybe contact some of those guys and see how they're fairing now that they've had them a while. Not sure I've even heard 1 person complain about the ebay headers. At those prices though it'd be tough not to buy a set just to see what you get.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Obx are considered ebay headers and the fitment and quality is pretty good. Headers and catted y pipe for $6-700 a little more expensive than $180 headers and a y pipe but still a good deal imo. They are what I have until I upgrade to Kooks or ARH for my stroker I will be building.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've been running Ebay headers (XS) for 7 or 8 years now. They're still nice and shiny. I didn't have to modify them at all. Ya, they were a gamble but paid off.

Why not run an off road y pipe like everyone else if the price of a catted Y is too much? Someone else in this thread already said they don't do a visual where you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information