Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

see through oil pan...

This is a discussion on see through oil pan... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mike's TA Sorry Spaz!!! When I saw the picture, I thought to myself, I think I've seen ...

  1. #21
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,692

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Sorry Spaz!!!

    When I saw the picture, I thought to myself, I think I've seen this in a store somewhere. So I googled it.
    yeah... i kind of thought it was to good to be true...

  2. #22
    down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pensacola
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,565

    Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

    valve spring at 7000 rpms


  3. #23
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    Honestly, I can't see something being discredited just because they use a picture of a clear model. The technology is there, cost is the only factor. If its true, its probably some kind of lexan type acrylic.

    And did anyone ACTUALLY thing that was a real engine?!

  4. #24
    Member slpcamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sunnyvale
    Posts
    453

    silver
    98 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Honestly, I can't see something being discredited just because they use a picture of a clear model. The technology is there, cost is the only factor. If its true, its probably some kind of lexan type acrylic.

    And did anyone ACTUALLY thing that was a real engine?!
    agree just cuz the pic is a model doesn't mean the whole article is fake, would be nice to see who cares how foggy it gets can still see through better then through steal. I wonder if it would be lighter then the metals used maybe lighten up these new heavy cars.

  5. #25
    down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pensacola
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,565

    Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

    i could see a clear oil pan and valve covers

  6. #26
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Theres a fully see-through/plastic life size SB 350 in one of my college classrooms...one of the professors machined all the plastic parts himself and put it together with real gm stuff. Its handcrankable and everything and all the spark plugs have little leds on the tips that light up to show the spark.

  7. #27
    down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pensacola
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,565

    Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Theres a fully see-through/plastic life size SB 350 in one of my college classrooms...one of the professors machined all the plastic parts himself and put it together with real gm stuff. Its handcrankable and everything and all the spark plugs have little leds on the tips that light up to show the spark.
    thats pretty pimp...can you get any pictures of it?

  8. #28
    Member slpcamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sunnyvale
    Posts
    453

    silver
    98 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Theres a fully see-through/plastic life size SB 350 in one of my college classrooms...one of the professors machined all the plastic parts himself and put it together with real gm stuff. Its handcrankable and everything and all the spark plugs have little leds on the tips that light up to show the spark.
    tell him the members of ls1.com demand a working version, then he can sell it to gm and make millions win win win situation.

  9. #29
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    gotta love the materials engineers

  10. #30
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    I don't actually have that class anymore and I'm never in that building but I'll see if I can get in there one day when hes between classes or something to get some pics. I'll even try to get a video if I can to show the distributer turning to light up the leds.

  11. #31
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    A valve cover thats see threw.

    It would be covered in oil upon immediate start up. No visibility at all.

    An oil pan that is see threw? Oil is down there.... with a crankshaft with big ole counter weights spinning. There is no way these parts would be able to let you see what is going on.

    If you wanna see your crankshaft spinning, drop your oil pan and start it up. Spin it to 5000 RPM. Im sure it would love to show you what it looks like spinning at 5000 RPMS!

  12. #32
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    A valve cover thats see threw.

    It would be covered in oil upon immediate start up. No visibility at all.

    An oil pan that is see threw? Oil is down there.... with a crankshaft with big ole counter weights spinning. There is no way these parts would be able to let you see what is going on.

    If you wanna see your crankshaft spinning, drop your oil pan and start it up. Spin it to 5000 RPM. Im sure it would love to show you what it looks like spinning at 5000 RPMS!
    haha so true

  13. #33
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,692

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    A valve cover thats see threw.

    It would be covered in oil upon immediate start up. No visibility at all.

    An oil pan that is see threw? Oil is down there.... with a crankshaft with big ole counter weights spinning. There is no way these parts would be able to let you see what is going on.

    If you wanna see your crankshaft spinning, drop your oil pan and start it up. Spin it to 5000 RPM. Im sure it would love to show you what it looks like spinning at 5000 RPMS!
    true... but you would be able to see the oil being sucked up by the pump in the oil pan...

    the valve covers woudln't get gunked up untill a few minutes... any one who has tryed to zero in non adjustable rockers would know that...

  14. #34
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    it something i would still like to see

  15. #35
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    true... but you would be able to see the oil being sucked up by the pump in the oil pan...

    the valve covers woudln't get gunked up untill a few minutes... any one who has tryed to zero in non adjustable rockers would know that...
    Well, sure.

    Them few minutes are going to go by pretty quickly.

  16. #36
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    true... but you would be able to see the oil being sucked up by the pump in the oil pan...

    And no, how are you going to see the oil being sucked up? I just dont see any observation coming from a clear oil pan.

  17. #37
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    true... but you would be able to see the oil being sucked up by the pump in the oil pan...

    the valve covers woudln't get gunked up untill a few minutes... any one who has tryed to zero in non adjustable rockers would know that...


    These work wonders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •