Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

search isnt helping with my muffler delete question.

i have a 2000 TA currently with flowmasters on it. it sounds alright if you compare it to the stock exhaust. i know the debate over muffler delete or not to muffler delete is endless, but i love the sound of it personally so try not to get on me to bad here! haha. i have seen posts of a muffler delete pipe so that i can delete the muffler but still run my tips out the back after i remove the muffler. if there isnt such a pipe, does anyone have a general idea what lets say meinike would charge to just slap a new pipe in and make it split off to the tips? any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Why not try a cut-out? This allows you to keep your exhaust intact, and it allows you to control how loud you want the car. You can buy an electric one that allows you to control it from inside the car. Basically, when it's closed, you're still running your exhaust all the way back to the muffler. When it's open you're essentially bypassing the muffler by dumping the exhaust gas out of the cutout itself, since the cutout is installed before the muffler.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Well the cutout is about 200$ and pluss installation for it I'm assuming it will be more pricey then what I want to spend. It took me a long time to buy this car so money is a little tight and I actually enjoy the aound of the muffler delete, down the road I'm going to do the full exhaust. That's when I plan on having a nice catback setup with a cutout.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I'm thinking $200 would be for an electric cutout. I remember mine I had on a previous Camaro was around $30 and the shop charged around $30 to install it. It wasn't an electric cutout, but it got the job done.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Im still thinking I would like to delete the muffler and run it out the back through the tips. Nothing agaisnt your idea, I appreciate your opinion. I want to just split it off after the axle out the back untill I get the full exhaust done in Sept/Oct. Do you know of a pipe sold like this or OS it aomething a shop is gonna have to do? I can't see it being to much money to just run a split pipe out the back.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I don't know how you could run your exhaust tips once you delete the muffler, but I'm sure a competent exhaust shop could come up with something. Most of the pics I came across seemed to indicate that the pipe was cut before the muffler and dumped over the axle. Having said that, the muffler delete doesn't seem like it would be expensive to do.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/muffle...cision-141397/
    Last edited by FinZ28; 05-30-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I'll have to take it to the shop and see what they quote me for making the pipes I was hoping there was a pipe sold for this purpose.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Only way I can see you getting a "pipe" for you is either (a) a muffler shop or (b) order a Magnaflow exhaust pipe kit. The kit comes with pipes in various bends and lengths.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Only way I can see you getting a "pipe" for you is either (a) a muffler shop or (b) order a Magnaflow exhaust pipe kit. The kit comes with pipes in various bends and lengths.
    I think what he's wanting to do is delete his muffler but keep his exhaust tips intact. I can see doing this if you run one exhaust tip, but if you're running more than one, I don't know how that would work.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Basically just like slp loudmouth comes over the axle and splits I was wondering where I could get a pipe like that without having to buy a full slp cat back.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourbeat View Post
    i have a 2000 TA currently with flowmasters on it. it sounds alright if you compare it to the stock exhaust. i know the debate over muffler delete or not to muffler delete is endless, but i love the sound of it personally so try not to get on me to bad here! haha. i have seen posts of a muffler delete pipe so that i can delete the muffler but still run my tips out the back after i remove the muffler. if there isnt such a pipe, does anyone have a general idea what lets say meinike would charge to just slap a new pipe in and make it split off to the tips? any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
    If I were you I would consider two options. Either a loudmouth 1 catback or a cut out. Both sound pretty much the same.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah its looking like im gonna keep my cats and get a ORY and LM1.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

if you keep your cats there would be no reason for an ORY... all you would have to do is cut your intermediate pipe (pipe after the Y pipe) at the correct length to allow for proper fitment of the LM1.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have a y Pipe that I had made that fits the LM1 with the factory cats right here.......

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I found a guy near me with slp cats y pipe and Lm1 I think I'm gonna buy it off him he's asking 175 for all of it.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That's a heck of a deal if you are getting the LM1 complete with it.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Quote Originally Posted by Yourbeat View Post
    I found a guy near me with slp cats y pipe and Lm1 I think I'm gonna buy it off him he's asking 175 for all of it.

hell of a deal!!

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm going to pick up the whole exhaust tomorrow I'm pretty pumped. Last night my buddy just gave me a brand new comp cam as well I don't know if I should save up and have it installed or if I should sell it. It's a 400$ cam I could use the money towards something else from the car if I put the cam in my warranty company will def tell me I voided it. So I don't know ehat to do.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

What are the specs on the cam?

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

comp cam xr265hr-14 its brand new too

Thread Information