Black
    1998 Formula

Running without an air filter? More hp????

First of all, I want to make it clear, I am only considering doing this for track use only

Okay , so today I was pondering...would running my car without a air filter yield any power increase??? I have the slp flow pac (SLP AIR LID, SLP CAI, SMOOTH BELLOWS). I only want to do this at the track, I know doing this everyday would be extremely stupid and cause damage to my engine. But I am thinking occasional usage at the track...no air filter= more air flow is what is on my mind

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

you wont see any power increases. the only diiff. you'll see is your engine falling apart faster

Black
    1998 Formula

Why do you say that?

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 SS,TT, SLP, M6

Cant remeber if it was here or camaroz28.com but, i read a similar post and someone did a test and "Running no filter yelded no power gains!" Actually a paper filter dynoed better than a K&n type filter and the best was a amisol cloth type filter if i find that post ill post it here.

All you can really do is try it yourself at the track and see if there is any difference in your car or not. One individual test of someones car somewhere else really doesn't answer your question.

I have tried this theory on a couple of other cars of mine,,,both a 72 SS 454 chevelle with cowl induction and my 70 formula firebird that also has factory ramair much like the WS6 LS1 cars. Without going into great detail I can tell you that it actually slowed my firebird down removing the filter, the air turbulance in the air cleaner was incredible and would blow the crank case filter loose, I had to wire tie it to the plastic holder. I can only assume that the air filter helped to straighten and slow down the air flow somewhat, as the car loses about 1/10th and 1 mph without it. My chevelle made no difference at all,,,go figure,,,,but the cowl induction setup on these cars were not that effective anyway.
    I have never tried it on my 02 SS camaro,,,but I probably won't bother with it since I am making other changes to the car right now and want to make fair comparisons with it in the future.

My advice would be to give it a shot while at the track, only takes a minute to remove and reinstall,,,,post back and let us know how it worked out for you.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I wouldn't do it since you have the slp's air duct...I used to find all kinds of shit in my filter after putting in the FTRA and doing the FRA mod.

Ya I have the SLP air duct on mine as well, but for a quick trip down the quarter mile I wouldn't hesitate to try it if I were so inclined to see a difference.

I get tons of crap around the filter of my 70 formula as well, I had to clean the air cleaner base out really well and hope there wasn't anything still sitting inside the hood ducts waiting to come in,,,,but I gave it a shot and found out it hurt the car more than helped it,,,,no ill affects from the experiment and now when I take it to the track I know what works and what doesn't. The only way to know is if you try.

I little dust and a bug or 2 won't really hurt anything,,,besides if you still run the screen in the MAF then nothing of any significants will get past that anyway. I have tried it on many race cars and street cars of mine. You would be surprised how many race cars at the track never run a filter at all with the carbs sealed off to a large bug catching scoop on the hood,,,,lol.

Thread Information