Alculpolco Blue
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire

Routing for remote electric water pump

Without going into detail why, I need to go with a remote water pump on my LS based block. I've seen a couple of pictures with remote setups, and there are hoses going everywhere. From my understanding, it seems this is unessesary. Using Paint, I've drawn out what I think would work and be simple. At this time, I won't be running any heater hoses. If this seems ok, let me know.

Also, if you run a temp sensor with a relay to turn the pump on and off, do you still need a thermostat?
    Last edited by metalman; 11-24-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed. I would have to look at my service manual to double check the flow direction. In lieu of a thermostat, a restrictor plate might be a good idea to regulate the coolant flow through the engine.

Alculpolco Blue
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire

Now that I have a little extra time, I'll elborate on my project. I'm putting an LS4 in the back of a Corvair mated to a Porsche 996 6 speed transaxle. Custom adapter is made, just waiting on shipment.

I bought the motor locally in case there were any issues, it would be easy to return. I'm in Afghanistan and am doing all the research and parts ordering/buying over here while the shop does the build. It's been slow going but I'm not in a screaming hurry. Anyhow I bought the LS4 because of it's ultra short profile. While you may read the crank and block is 1/2" shorter, the accessories are a couple inches shorter, and the water pump dumps into the bottom corner which was perfect for what I needed. Low and behold......the motor I bought didn't come with the very unique water pump. SOB!!!!

So now I'm trying to find a water pump....dammit if I can find one. I found one with a sketchy online history and asked a third party to buy it for me.....the guy won't return the third party calls. Another shop has one...$500 for just the housing, and I need the tensioner and pulleys too.

So now I'm exploring electric water pumps. Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea because with the corvair V8 setup, cooling usually an issue. Most are too bulky for what I need clearance wise so.....remote. The higher flow rate at idle would be comforting. I found a set of adapters on ebay that are less than Moroso adapters, and are tapped for a more standard NPT vs. Moroso's -AN which are always more expensive. I like the idea of 'common' too. If I ever have an issue, NPT fittings are a lot easier to find than -AN, and using 3/4" heater hose and hose clamps are much easier than fancy steel braided lines.

And as for PAJeff02's comment on restrictor plate, I could use a 1/2" barbed line vs. the tapped 3/4". Problem solved.
    And now you know.....the rest....of the story.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is an interesting combination. Looking forward to some pics of this one. I am not at all familiar with the "LS4" designation. What vehicle(s) originally came equipped with those?

Alculpolco Blue
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire

The LS4 was used in the 05-09 GXP, Monte Carlo and Impala SS FWD engine.

So for comparison. The Porsche was about 2900 lbs, 320 hp, 26" tall tire, 0-60 was 5.2 sec. My corvair will be about 2800 lbs, 320 hp-ish, and likely just under 26" tires. First gear is 13:1 combined. Other guys who have done this conversion used an LS1 with a G50 5 spd. It has about a 10:1 combined first gear and they say it pulls hard though they're pushing more HP.

So doing the math: 10/13=77%. So my first gear is 23% deeper. So 303hp x .23=70hp. So my 303hp w/13:1 1st is roughly the same as 373hp w/10:1 1st. Of course this is all theory. I'm sure there's a lot more to compute. Note: my engine STOCK is 303hp. With the headers, LS2 intake, and ECU non smog performance tune, I'd like to think i'm at 330.

The current plan is to use corvette rear knuckles. We're going to try and inset the hubs i.e. 'narrow' the rear end to get as wide a tire as possible.....going to need it. Will likely use CV axles. Front end will remain stock except for maybe poly bushings.
    Last edited by metalman; 11-26-2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: more info.

Thread Information