black
    99 ws6

Rocker arms. pullys

I was lookin at some rocker arms i was wondering if they are really work the $450 they are? also are pullys worth it?

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by onebadassws6 View Post
    I was lookin at some rocker arms i was wondering if they are really work the $450 they are? also are pullys worth it?
    depends, what are your mods? which rocker arms? which pullys?

stick with stock rockers and if you want run a SLP UD or powerbond UD

Don't be a dumb ass Damage Inc.'s Avatar

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

I have both. I did them at the same time so I can't say what was gained from them seperately.
    I can say that the rockers quieted down alot of my VT noise.
    I went with Comp 1.85, fully adjustable. I also had to get valve cover spacers to get enough clearence for the adjusters. I would recommend, for less hassle, ,the Yella Tera's, 1.80 with stock cam, 1.70 with any aftermaket lift. The extra lift given with the higher ratio will give you a bit more HP with a tune.
    The pulley should help the engine spin up faster. Think of riding a multispeed bike. It's easier to go up a hill on the smaller front sprocket. Your basically changing the gear ratio for the accessories.
    I have a March UD and it came with a Alt. pulley also. I was unable to use it on my LS2 w/M6, because my alt. has a over-ride bearing and it just would not fit. I have had no charge system issues. I have had no issue with any of these mods other then a slight oil leak at one of the spacers, that was easiely repaired.

If you going to do a cam swap. I would say do them. I would go with the full roller rocker just because they are better as long as you get a quality parts. Less friction = less heat = less wear.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
    I have both. I did them at the same time so I can't say what was gained from them seperately.
    I can say that the rockers quieted down alot of my VT noise.
    I went with Comp 1.85, fully adjustable. I also had to get valve cover spacers to get enough clearence for the adjusters. I would recommend, for less hassle, ,the Yella Tera's, 1.80 with stock cam, 1.70 with any aftermaket lift. The extra lift given with the higher ratio will give you a bit more HP with a tune.
    The pulley should help the engine spin up faster. Think of riding a multispeed bike. It's easier to go up a hill on the smaller front sprocket. Your basically changing the gear ratio for the accessories.
    I have a March UD and it came with a Alt. pulley also. I was unable to use it on my LS2 w/M6, because my alt. has a over-ride bearing and it just would not fit. I have had no charge system issues. I have had no issue with any of these mods other then a slight oil leak at one of the spacers, that was easiely repaired.

If you going to do a cam swap. I would say do them. I would go with the full roller rocker just because they are better as long as you get a quality parts. Less friction = less heat = less wear.

Good info!

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

I try............ sometimes.
    I've heard some say you gain nothing from raising the ratio but think of it like this. Stock LS2 lift at valve is .525 with 1.70 rockers. .525~1.70=.308.
    .308 is the actual lobe lift so .308x1.80=.556 .308x1.85=.571.
    .571 is a fair amount more lift then .525. It is said that you will only change the lift and not the duration by changing the rocker ratio. I have not proven this theory for myself. But it seems to me that if you are measuring duration at .050 lift and the higher ratio rocker will change the lift rate that the duration @ .050 will also be affected.
    Perhaps I will try it this summer when I go back into my SBC for the Olds. I'm sure it will be a minimal difference but what the hell, I like to play with tools.
    Last edited by Damage Inc.; 03-15-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

One thing I forgot to mention. With the higher lift you may need to up grade you valve springs. I found that with the 1.85's(.571) that the car would start to nose over at 5900.
    LS2 has the 243 heads and the stock springs are only good to about that point. So I when with the Patriot G's. But if you don't plan on going over .600 I would go with the PAC 1215's(.600) or the Comp 918's(.620).

black
    99 ws6

I have a 99 ls1 with air lid fram air hog, y pipe and hooker exhaust, amd spraying so i take it that the rocker arms and pullys arnt woth it

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

if you put rockers on put the Crane gold race rockers. if you can get them now. they are variable ratio and wont make more lift than stock so you shouldnt have to worry about springs. they are supposed to gain power.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

rocker arms arent worth it at your point and time..wait for a cam..then upgrade all of your valvetrain together and enjoy...if getting a UD pulley ..make sure you get one with a harmonic dampener...march has those

Red
    2001 Trash Can

As stated a higher ratio will net higher lift (and possibly cause PTV clearence issues with aftermarket cam). Maybe someday when I get tired of my cam I'll upgrade to 1.80 or 1.85 rockers to get some more lift without swapping the cam

Thread Information