rear main seal help

This is a discussion on rear main seal help within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; trannys got to come back out.can someone tell me how to change the rear main seal?does the oil pan have ...

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

rear main seal help

trannys got to come back out.can someone tell me how to change the rear main seal?does the oil pan have to come off?also when i started the car after it sat for about 3 weeks,the water pump seems to be leaking right above the crank pully.does the water pump have to be replaced or just the gasket?please help thanks

silver
    2000 formula

considering what a PITA it is to do the rear seal i am going to drop the engine out to do mine......i have many gaskets to change out besides that 1 and it would be ALOT easier not to fight cramped spaces.....unless you can see the gasket leaking i would bet its the pump not gaskets

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Rear main is a breeze with the tranny out- you don't have to pull the pan. Pull the two bolts from the bottom and then pull the cover off that the rear main fits into (can't remember what it's called.) Get the Fel-Pro gasket kit- same price as the GM and it comes with both gaskets. Pop the rear main out from the inside of the cover and then use a rubber mallet to knock the new one back in. Seriously easy.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

i think that piece is called the adapter that the seal fits into.i hear if i get it out i wont be able to get it back in...

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Took mine out and it went right back in. Wasn't a problem at all.

Easy to change. I've done mine a couple of times. Just make sure you put the seal in facing the correct direction. I bought mine from GM and it came with instructions showing which way the seal should be facing.

Funny though, GM replaced it once under warranty and they put it in backwards. Needless to say it leaked. I ended up tearing it back down and replacing it myself.

There is also a process mentioned (and a special tool made) to center the seal on the crankshaft, since that rear plate moves around a bit. Take your time and it's pretty straight forward.

Thread Information