Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ram Air system?

This is a discussion on Ram Air system? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; lol sorry, little shit like that is just like nails on a chalk board to me........

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

lol sorry, little shit like that is just like nails on a chalk board to me.....

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
    As other people have said, generally, rain and water is not a problem. The only time it is a problem is if you hit a very deep puddle (deep enough to immerse the bottom of the kit) at a high enough speed to force water vertically up the duck, overwhelm the air filter and get injected into the motor. It's very unlikely but "possible" so we advise customers of that in the advertisments and instructions.

We do supply a block off plate with the kit that you can install if you have to drive in really bad weather. It prevents water from coming up through the duct and returns the breathing to exactly the same as stock.
    I agree!
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

This is the response I got from Thunder Racing regarding the SLP & Fast Toys "RAM AIR SYSTEMS" on SS and WS6 hoods:

The only reason we donít recommend this kit (or the Fast Toys for that matter) on the WS6 or SS is that you have to block of the functionality of the ram-air hood in order for this system to work. Basically, it defeats the purpose of your ram air hood.

Thanks,
    Angie

Thunder Racing Sales Team
    sales@thunderracing.com http://[URL="wlmailhtml:{7160E2D7-E874-4B2D-A328-1BD9BC2C2892}mid://00000620/!x-usc:http://www.thunderracing.com/"]www.thunderracing.com[/URL]
    Toll-Free: (877)516-RACE Phone: (225)754-RACE Fax: (225)754-7220

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    This is the response I got from Thunder Racing regarding the SLP & Fast Toys "RAM AIR SYSTEMS" on SS and WS6 hoods:

The only reason we donít recommend this kit (or the Fast Toys for that matter) on the WS6 or SS is that you have to block of the functionality of the ram-air hood in order for this system to work. Basically, it defeats the purpose of your ram air hood.

Thanks,
    Angie

Thunder Racing Sales Team
    sales@thunderracing.com http://[URL="wlmailhtml:{7160E2D7-E874-4B2D-A328-1BD9BC2C2892}mid://00000620/!x-usc:http://www.thunderracing.com/"]www.thunderracing.com[/URL]
    Toll-Free: (877)516-RACE Phone: (225)754-RACE Fax: (225)754-7220

Makes sense...

In all the testing we have done personally and testing done by drag racers, the stock ram air hoods have shown no performance gains over the non ram air cars (ie. the hood is not making any more power). The factory hoods are not sealed to the air box and also contain water drain holes and baffles. They also sit too low on the hood. Because of this, no pressure can ever be achieved (in stock configuration) and air flow is very poor.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I have had the FastToysRamAir for 5 years now, hit one puddle big enough to hydro plane my car into a rail but didn't do shit to the motor. It also comes with a block off plate that installs with two screws for extreme rain. I love the kit, never had a issue with it as far as temps or water. Main problem is get a K&N or some type of air filter that is re-usable because that system will get them FILTHY in very short miles. I clean mine about every oil change........Thats how fast and dirty it gets
    I agree ... I've had mine for about 6 years now and have never had an issue with the car and water

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

What? Functionality of the ram air hood? They aren't even true ram air hoods! The hoods aren't sealed to the air box and no pressurization occurs. Our cars are bottom feeders and the hoods are just for looks basically. If you want to utilize the ram air hood, you have to cut out the baffles and seal it to the air box. Functionality of the hood....LMAO!

white

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    haha yea i know better pics would be nice. im just lookin for something that would give me a quick et boost for that price. theres an event around here called the high school shoot out at our track and im a senior so id deff. like to up my et before i go back.

since the last time i went i did intake lid and slp loudmouth i also built my torque for my grad project and im hoping with that ram air system and everything else ive listed i can knock 3 tens off my et

so what would u say about the system? im just undesided ( and scared to death of hydrolock)
    i wonder how did they get the air duct between the radiator and the frame???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information