Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ram Air system?

This is a discussion on Ram Air system? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey thanks everyone i love this place i always get good info from u guys...

red
    1998 Z28

hey thanks everyone i love this place i always get good info from u guys

As other people have said, generally, rain and water is not a problem. The only time it is a problem is if you hit a very deep puddle (deep enough to immerse the bottom of the kit) at a high enough speed to force water vertically up the duck, overwhelm the air filter and get injected into the motor. It's very unlikely but "possible" so we advise customers of that in the advertisments and instructions.

We do supply a block off plate with the kit that you can install if you have to drive in really bad weather. It prevents water from coming up through the duct and returns the breathing to exactly the same as stock.
    Fast Toys Performance Parts
    Low pricing & honest customer service since 1998!

Email:sales@fasttoys.net
    Web: www.fasttoys.net

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
    As other people have said, generally, rain and water is not a problem. The only time it is a problem is if you hit a very deep puddle (deep enough to immerse the bottom of the kit) at a high enough speed to force water vertically up the duck, overwhelm the air filter and get injected into the motor. It's very unlikely but "possible" so we advise customers of that in the advertisments and instructions.

We do supply a block off plate with the kit that you can install if you have to drive in really bad weather. It prevents water from coming up through the duct and returns the breathing to exactly the same as stock.

red
    1998 Z28

alright thanks everyone.. still not sure what i wanna do... if i wanna save my pennies for pasesetter lt's with tune and ory or just do the ram aro for a quick jump... just wanted to know the facts

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I vote LT's

red
    1998 Z28

can i get a reason behind that vote? just to help me deside

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

More Power for not alot more, plus sounds way better.... youll knock off more time with LT's than that system also.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would go LT first also. More power, better sound and such. The FTRA won't shine as good until you have a cam/heads to use the extra air coming in. That and once you have the LT to get the air out, the FTRA will get the air you need in. I will say this though, the FTRA is much cheaper then any header your going to get.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    More Power for not alot more, plus sounds way better.... youll knock off more time with LT's than that system also.
    Yup. I have th FTRA on my car, I bought it used. While it's a nice product, I noticed zero SOTP or mileage gains from it.

I haven't track tested it yet, so I can't say 100% that it gave me no gains, but like I said, I didn't feel anything.

I plan on track testing next week actually, so I'll post up my results.

On the plus side, mine is a DD, and I've driven it through plenty of rain with no issues.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Yup. I have th FTRA on my car, I bought it used. While it's a nice product, I noticed zero SOTP or mileage gains from it.

I haven't track tested it yet, so I can't say 100% that it gave me no gains, but like I said, I didn't feel anything.

On the plus side, mine is a DD, and I've driven it through plenty of rain with no issues.
    hey thats good to know my main worry was hydrolocking the motor. but yea if u could get those track times that would be awesome thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

Do you have the kit properly sealed up with the lower ram air plate installed? Usually when people do not see a mileage improvement or feel performance gains, it's because they did not install the lower piece and/or properly seal the kit per our instructions. These steps are very important.

Thanks

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

In looking at the FTRA, SSRA and SLP systems, frankly, I don't see any real difference between all three of them except for cost.
    And in reading threads that have been posted by members, all three give about the same results.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    In looking at the FTRA, SSRA and SLP systems, frankly, I don't see any real difference between all three of them except for cost.
    And in reading threads that have been posted by members, all three give about the same results.
    Basically they are all the same, but in all honesty my pick(If you are set on this route) is the FTRA, it seems to be the most well put together/thought out kit, but overall as i stated above, my vote still goes with volant right now, i have yet to see K&N's version installed, it looks to be just a filter sitting out in the open but pictures can b misleading...

The SLP system is not a ram air intake.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

The SLP system is not a ram air intake.
    And the difference between yours and theirs?

And the difference between yours and theirs?
    SLP kit sits half way up the a/c consenser with no way to route the air into the air box.

Our kit has a plate that goes right down the lower air deflector and routes air directly into the air box. Our kit also seels the airbox to allow pressure to build. The SLP kit doesn't positively seal the air box which prevents any kind of pressurized air from happening. Our kit also includes a block off plate to disable the kit. SLP does not.

Thanks!

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Thank you...........very persuasive

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

SLP kit sits half way up the a/c consenser with no way to route the air into the air box.

Our kit has a plate that goes right down the lower air deflector and routes air directly into the air box. Our kit also seels the airbox to allow pressure to build. The SLP kit doesn't positively seal the air box which prevents any kind of pressurized air from happening. Our kit also includes a block off plate to disable the kit. SLP does not.

Thanks!
    I know im being an ass but.... seals....

i know im being an ass but.... Seals....
    meh!

NBM
    2000 WS6

I know im being an ass but.... seals....
    Yea we know but do you have to remind us so offen ????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information