Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ram Air and Rain

This is a discussion on Ram Air and Rain within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok I replaced the O2s, with some shitty bosch ones(parts store didn't have anything else). In the process I noticed ...

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Ok I replaced the O2s, with some shitty bosch ones(parts store didn't have anything else). In the process I noticed the sensors were mismatched, one was the original-stock ac delco, the other was a newer bosch. I drove it up and down the street and it felt the same. So I disconnected the battery in an effort to reset the codes and ecu. I'm gonna drive it around tomorrow and see if anything changes. I'll also check and see if it throws any new codes.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Has there been any wiring done to the O2 sensors? Are there any cuts/splices in the harness? Maybe when it rains the bad splice starts shorting and takes time to dry.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Everything is back to 100% after some driving. Yeh there was a lot of splicing used in order to get the wiring to work on the long tubes. I just don't understand how the water could have affected O2s tho, everything was nicely covered and tucked away. It's supposed to rain tmrw, so we'll see what happens

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Did you get the Corvette O2's? Those don't require any splicing/extensions since the harness is already longer and work great. Those were the ones that I put on my car.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I haven't had a chance to check yet, but I'm going to tmrw if the problem doesn't fix itself. It's possible that the O2 sensors are the problem. I never had this problem until I got my longtubes on. I suppose it's possible that water could be hitting the sensors, causing a short. But would the O2s be responsible for the car dumping tons of gas? I literally lost a quarter of a tank of gas driving on my way from work in the rain. (about 20miles). The car smelled terrible. Which is why i'm leaning more towards the MAF being the problem.
    Was you car ever tuned for the Lt`s etc?

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    Did you get the Corvette O2's? Those don't require any splicing/extensions since the harness is already longer and work great. Those were the ones that I put on my car.
    I wanted to, but I wasn't sure if the harness was the same, so I went with the fbody ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Was you car ever tuned for the Lt`s etc?
    nope, I planned on getting cam a couple months after the headers, so I didn't see a point in paying to have it tuned twice

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I was under the impression the Bosch O2s for the vette was the best way to go....in my case the harness wastoo long and had to be zip tied up, this came loose and rubbed though on the road, so i ended up splicing anyway

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Vette O2s are the best solution with longtubes. If you're using fbody ones you must either have extensions or wires were spliced in to extend them. Take a look and see whats going on under there, maybe some pictures if you can. If they're spliced it makes it easier for water to affect the reading.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I was under the impression the Bosch O2s for the vette was the best way to go....in my case the harness wastoo long and had to be zip tied up, this came loose and rubbed though on the road, so i ended up splicing anyway
    I added 3 zipties to mine and then used electrical tape around the folds to make sure they never come loose and they are now the perfect length

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I added 3 zipties to mine and then used electrical tape around the folds to make sure they never come loose and they are now the perfect length
    times two

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

everything is zip tied, heat shrinked, and thickly electric taped. Everything is fine for now, but I still don't understand what the rain is doing to my car. I just gotta wait and see what happens the next time. I plan on duck taping the crap out of my air box and hood next time it rains, just so I know for sure it isn't the MAF. I'm dropping off the car tomorrow to have the MS3 and all the goodies installed, along with a dyno tune. So I really really really hope I don't have any rain issues after I get the car back, cuz I won't be in the mood to play guess and check everytime there's a little drizzle, this thing's my DD.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    I've done the debaffle thing/ram air mod and all that crap and that's how i lost my first motor. Lots of rain and a k&n air filter sucked the water right up the air box into the intake..etc...hydrolocked the motor.
    You must have drove through either a lake or deep puddle for that to happen.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Ive also driven in the rain and hit a few puddles on the freeway and NEVER had any problems with water getting into the tb..and i have the SLP cai that sits in front of the radiator and has a long metal box that sits a foot give or take above the ground? also our hoods have drainage holes for any excess water that may get in according to the SLP booklet.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Ive also driven in the rain and hit a few puddles on the freeway and NEVER had any problems with water getting into the tb..and i have the SLP cai that sits in front of the radiator and has a long metal box that sits a foot give or take above the ground? also our hoods have drainage holes for any excess water that may get in according to the SLP booklet.
    yeh I noticed the drainage holes in my ws6 hood, which is what confuses me even further about the origin of the problem. I hope it was just the O2s, and that the problem's gone.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've never heard of water/rain ingestion for these cars either. Your problem is definetly rain related, I suspect a bare wire somewhere. Where it is, who knows. It may have been your O2 sensors.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I've never heard of water/rain ingestion for these cars either. Your problem is definetly rain related, I suspect a bare wire somewhere. Where it is, who knows. It may have been your O2 sensors.
    yeh I hope so. I told the shop owner about the problem when I dropped off the car the other day, he said he'd take a look at it, as well as check for codes and keep an eye out for anything weird during the dyno tuning.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

MS3 on a DD

PEWTER
    2001 SS

Seems like you and I are having the same problem with our cars. My car was misfiring like crazy with even just a little of tucson az humidity and when it rained it was impossible to drive. Looks like almost the same codes that my my car was throwing out, i yet have to go under the car and check it out but my guess was oxygen sensors as well. Keep us posted and hopefully it helps me with my problem...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Have you checked your plugs/wires? Especially the connections? You could try misting the plug wires with water and see what that does. It should have no effect.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

MS3 on a DD
    yeh I just really hope I didn't epically fuck myself with that decision
    I'll find out tmrw when I'm driving it back in 20mph traffic lol.
    We'll see what the girly thinks of it on her first ride along

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information