Results 1 to 16 of 16

radiator flush

This is a discussion on radiator flush within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i have a 2000 ws6 and i wanted to know how often should you change the radiator fluid, when i ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    34

    pewter
    2000 pontiac trans am ws-

    radiator flush

    i have a 2000 ws6 and i wanted to know how often should you change the radiator fluid, when i first bought the car 3 yrs. ago i changed it within 1 month, but now it has been 3 yrs, can anyone tell me when it is time to change it again?

  2. #2
    Member Blue28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    769

    Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Wink

    I believe the owners manual says 6yrs, but IMO that's too long!
    I would go ahead and do it since it's been 3yrs.

  3. #3
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    I change mine every spring.....Cheap insurance, I change the belts at the same time

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Depending upon how many miles you put on it, changing the coolant every 2-3 years is cheap insurance. I did a complete cooling system service on our car back in March. Replaced the hoses and thermostat, cleaned the overflow, flushed the system and dumped in new Dexcool. Swapping out the heater hose assembly was fun... hours of fun.

    I recommend also dropping the block drains when you do it. There is quite a bit of coolant left in the block, even after pulling the thermostat housing. Driver side is a 17mm allen head above and behind the alternator. Passenger side is probably metric, but a 5/16" allen head fit nice and tight, and it is located above the starter.

  5. #5
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Did mine last week end, I would change the thermostat since you are draining everything else. Don't forget to let the car warm up after you first top it off, need the stat to open so you can fill the radiator to proper levels or you will have one hugh air bubble.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Did mine last week end, I would change the thermostat since you are draining everything else. Don't forget to let the car warm up after you first top it off, need the stat to open so you can fill the radiator to proper levels or you will have one hugh air bubble.

    +1 I slowly filled our system over the course of an hour or so while I was working on other items. The system airlocked on the first try and I had to shut down. Rock or jounce the vehicle a bit and squeeze your upper and lower hoses to try and work the air out as you fill it.

  7. #7
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    im flushing out the entire system this weekend if my hoses get here but im definitly not putting in Dex Cool

  8. #8
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    im flushing out the entire system this weekend if my hoses get here but im definitly not putting in Dex Cool
    Don't know why, but my system is as clean as the day it left the factory.

  9. #9
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    mine looks horrible. the stuff is all gunked up inside it has little particles floating around inside it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    im flushing out the entire system this weekend if my hoses get here but im definitly not putting in Dex Cool
    Why not Dex Cool? I have heard some bad things about it. Eats head gaskets, they say.
    Anybody else hear the same?
    I need to flush mine soon and want to know what to use.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Why not Dex Cool? I have heard some bad things about it. Eats head gaskets, they say.
    Anybody else hear the same?
    I need to flush mine soon and want to know what to use.

    Not a good question to post. Half the board will tell you it's crap, the other half will say they swear by it. The only thing both sides will agree on is that you should not mix Dexcool with non-Dexcool.

    Personally, I went with Dexcool in our car. It had 71,500 on it when we bought the car and as far as I know the coolant had never been changed. Everything was nice and clean, and the drained coolant looked good. I scoped out the block from both the thermostat mounting pad and through the left block drain and it looked like new inside. I will only run it 2-3 years before my next flush though.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Not a good question to post. Half the board will tell you it's crap, the other half will say they swear by it. The only thing both sides will agree on is that you should not mix Dexcool with non-Dexcool.

    Personally, I went with Dexcool in our car. It had 71,500 on it when we bought the car and as far as I know the coolant had never been changed. Everything was nice and clean, and the drained coolant looked good. I scoped out the block from both the thermostat mounting pad and through the left block drain and it looked like new inside. I will only run it 2-3 years before my next flush though.
    I didn't know there was a big debate. I had a fuel pump installed on another GM vehicle I own and the mechanic mentioned that my coolant was low and should be changed. He told me he doesn't like to use Dex Cool because it eats head gaskets. That is the first time I had heard anything of the sort.
    I know there are all kinds of opinions on here. I was looking for data.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    I didn't know there was a big debate. I had a fuel pump installed on another GM vehicle I own and the mechanic mentioned that my coolant was low and should be changed. He told me he doesn't like to use Dex Cool because it eats head gaskets. That is the first time I had heard anything of the sort.
    I know there are all kinds of opinions on here. I was looking for data.

    I read up on it quite a bit before I decided to go with Dexcool. As best I recall, it appeared that any actual problems stemmed from when it was first introduced. It was very similar to the bad rep synthetic oil first had due to its initial lack of seal swelling agents.

  14. #14
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Ive heard the head gasket thing and witnessed it on two gm vechiles. Malibu v6 with 60,000 and a Suburban with a 6.0 and some oldsmobile. Im not sure if it was the coolant but all three vechiles had dex cool in them.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I read up on it quite a bit before I decided to go with Dexcool. As best I recall, it appeared that any actual problems stemmed from when it was first introduced. It was very similar to the bad rep synthetic oil first had due to its initial lack of seal swelling agents.
    I searched the treads to look for the debate after your initial reaction. I see what you mean.
    The biggest problem I found was the issue of the 2 mixing.
    I think the best solution is to keep the Dex Cool in the cars that have it and the green stuff in the old cars.

  16. #16
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    I have personaly seen 2 vehicles w/dex cool blow head gaskets and inturn blew the intake gasket as well. My neighbor is a white collar at GM and suggested to flush the dex cool asap when he saw I bought the TA. I had an ex-girlfirends uncle, a blue collar worker for GM, also suggesting that I flush out the dex cool. If employees are suggesting it, I would take that into much more consideration. I properly flushed it within the first few days of owning it.

    If your going to flush it out, you may as well change it to regular antifreeze that doesn't have people arguing over problems it has or hasn't caused.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Quick question radiator flush
    By Guerrillakilla13 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 08:59 AM
  2. Radiator/tranny flush
    By Guerrillakilla13 in forum General Help
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 03:42 AM
  3. Question: filling radiator with straight water(flush)
    By Acceleration Junky in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM
  4. Radiator Flush-which brand/type?
    By Zapper2003 in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 09:16 PM
  5. Radiator flush
    By doubletimebluz in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •