Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quieter with LT's

So I installed Pacesetter longtubes on my car last week, but didn't bolt up the y-pipe for a few days. So I was running open headers, and it was damn loud. So, I just put my y-pipe on yesterday and now it sounds quieter than when I just had my cat-back. I had some sort of flowmaster cat-back that had a good sound to it through the entire RPM range. But with the headers and Y, the exhaust doesn't have a good rumble at idle and it doesn't scream when I get on it in the upper RPM's. There are no leaks, so I can't figure what the deal is. I can barely hear the car idle now. It just doesn't have the sound that I was looking for. I don't want to buy another cat-back or new muffler. Has anyone else had this problem...thinking that headers made their car quieter? I'm pissed right now...

Maybe your still deaf from running open headers
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

easy answer. since you have installed LT's and Y-pipe you have lowered the amount of restriction in your exhaust system as a result of larger more free flowing tubing and bends. since you are expelling spent gasses more efficiently now, it will quiet your car down a little bit. all you're doing is sacrificing a 'little' sound for more HP/TQ...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Flowmaster catback sounds horrible with ory and headers on the LS1. This is old news.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Actually mine is an LT1 and I thought longtubes would increase the exhaust note a little. And not my fault, the flowmasters came with the car, but had a good sound before, so I thought the longtubes would increase the rumble. I don't know, just a little disappointed in the sound. But I was thinking that I might be desensitized to the open headers.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Flowmaster catback sounds horrible with ory and headers on the LS1. This is old news.
    LOTS of people love mine...+ qtec........everyone likes different sounds...I wouldn't bother with hooker or magnaflow---see.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I wasn't planning on spending any more money, but I might go for the loudmouth system again (I had it on my last Z) just to get the exhaust sound I want. Haven't decided yet.

Thread Information