Quiet sporty exhaust

This is a discussion on Quiet sporty exhaust within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I realize exhaust topics have been beat to death, but this one might be slightly different. From a purely sound ...

Quiet sporty exhaust

I realize exhaust topics have been beat to death, but this one might be slightly different.

From a purely sound motivated point of view, will an exhaust system sound better with just a catback than it will with long tube headers and a catback....assuming the desired sound is sporty, smooth, and quiet inside the car at reasonable cruising speeds.

With that said, what is the quietest exhuast combo out there for headers and a catback...I want the performance of both, but in a quit package that doesn't make much noise inside the car during daily driving (of course it will be loud when I get on the gas though)

BTW, the car is an 02 WS6 and it will also get an air lid or intake....any opinions on weather those affect sound significantly?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you plan on keeping the cats on the car? That will influence the volume of your exhaust quite a bit.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

id say as long as you go with magnaflow . . any combo will prob be quieter compaired to the similar combo with other catbacks. Long tube headers will all be fairly close in sound . . but like orion said, having cats will effect overall sound.

Yes, I will be keeping cats on the car...not sure if it will be the stockers or some new high flow units though. But I have to have them here unless I want to risk some crazyily large tickets.

Has anyone tried the new SLP powerflo systems...they are pretty new aren't they? They look like they should be a lot quieter than the loudmouths, but I don't know how they will compare to other catbacks.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I realize exhaust topics have been beat to death, but this one might be slightly different.

From a purely sound motivated point of view, will an exhaust system sound better with just a catback than it will with long tube headers and a catback....assuming the desired sound is sporty, smooth, and quiet inside the car at reasonable cruising speeds.

With that said, what is the quietest exhuast combo out there for headers and a catback...I want the performance of both, but in a quit package that doesn't make much noise inside the car during daily driving (of course it will be loud when I get on the gas though)

BTW, the car is an 02 WS6 and it will also get an air lid or intake....any opinions on weather those affect sound significantly?
    You are describing Magnaflow. Even with LTs, if you have cats, it is still quiet until you go full throttle.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Magnaflow has a tame idle. I think it would be a good option with cats.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow is very tame.
    But sounds EXCELLENT!!!

Will always be my choice.
    http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...30-80flyby.MPG
    [media]http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magnaflow_QTP-LT-ORY_WOT30-80flyby.MPG[/media]

I used Magnaflow mufflers on my true duals.

Kinda hear my idle in this one...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

+1 for magnaflow. I have pacesetter lt's and ory. it sounds awesome but has a little rasp when you let off the gas at high rpms. cats might fix that, i'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Magnaflow is very tame.
    But sounds EXCELLENT!!!

Will always be my choice.
    http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...30-80flyby.MPG
    [media]http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magnaflow_QTP-LT-ORY_WOT30-80flyby.MPG[/media]

I used Magnaflow mufflers on my true duals.

Kinda hear my idle in this one...

What setup is that in the last youtube video? That sounds pretty decent to me...the first video sounds similar but slightly different somehow. Pretty quiet fot WOT actually...I wouldnt mind a setup with a bit more deep grawl at that RPM, but any such setup would probably be loud as hell while cruising too.

Thread Information