Questions about Y-pipe?

This is a discussion on Questions about Y-pipe? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello, I would just like to know if you can change and if it is difficult to just a y-pipe ...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Questions about Y-pipe?

Hello, I would just like to know if you can change and if it is difficult to just a y-pipe and not headers? diff. in power and to run cats or not? And if you dont run cats what about the o2? do u just drill a hole or what? new about this stuff my first f-body and I just installed a cat-back flowmaster. Any help would be great!

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

I just changed out the stock Y-pipe as it is very easy to do, you may only pick up a couple of hourse if that over a stock flat Y-pipe. If your going with headers get the Y-pipe from the same manufacture as they are spicific to the headers. As for the O2's you could install simulators or extend the wiring and some of the manufactures put O2 ports on the headres or on the y-pipe. If your state does not do emmision testing you can do O2 sim's and headers and no cats; as for your Flowmaster they sound all right but they don't flow all that well on our cars as compated to stock, I went with a SLP Loudmouth.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Mac makes a nice catless Y pipe for 98-99 f bods. It wont gain you as much as a y pipe/long tube header combo but it's an easy swap.
    http://www.macperformance.com/store/...Product_ID=765

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Thank You very much! But, whats the o2 simms. and how would that work? I don't have e-check here. how much more gain for headers w/ y-pipe over just y-pipe? And how much for round about figure for install? I live in Canton, Ohio. Also, I know this is off topic(like I said I'm new to this.) Whats the diff. between ls6 intake and ls2? which better? and would I need to or be better to change throttle body and maf w/ it? Thank You. Sorry for my lose of knowledge!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Put that thing on your self. Only like 6-8 bolts.

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by paugust73 View Post
    Thank You very much! But, whats the o2 simms. and how would that work? I don't have e-check here. how much more gain for headers w/ y-pipe over just y-pipe? And how much for round about figure for install? I live in Canton, Ohio. Also, I know this is off topic(like I said I'm new to this.) Whats the diff. between ls6 intake and ls2? which better? and would I need to or be better to change throttle body and maf w/ it? Thank You. Sorry for my lose of knowledge!
    Whats the o2 simms, it simulates the o2 sensor so you won't get a engine trouble code when running w/o cats.

How much more gain for headers w/ y-pipe over just y-pipe? just a Y-pipe won't gain you much maybe 5 HP, now headers are a different story. Their are shorties, mid-length, and long tube headers, all will give you gains from 25 to 45 HP I believe SLP long tubes flow the best and make the best HP but the do hang down low and scraping is a problem with lowered cars.

Between ls6 intake and ls2? which better? and would I need to or be better to change throttle body and maf w/ it?
    Not too sure about the LS2 intake, usually the question of LS1 or LS6 Intake comes up, the MAF on our cars are good up to 600HP and the LS2 is drive by wire not cable so there would be a need to convert to cable type.
    hope this helps...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Thank You! Very much!!!

Thread Information