Questions about Exhaust. Cats/egr/longtubes etc

This is a discussion on Questions about Exhaust. Cats/egr/longtubes etc within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So i have an 01 stone stock. I want longtubes but dont want the car louder if possible. Are most ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Thumbs up Questions about Exhaust. Cats/egr/longtubes etc

So i have an 01 stone stock. I want longtubes but dont want the car louder if possible.

Are most of you installing longtubes without cats? seems the pics I find suggest so. I don't have a problem fudging emissions tests here in Toronto but I was thinking maybe to go with high flow cats.

Also, If I go longtubes without egr hook ups can all those pipes be removed from the compartment? Will this have a negative effect on emissions?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    So i have an 01 stone stock. I want longtubes but dont want the car louder if possible.

Are most of you installing longtubes without cats? seems the pics I find suggest so. I don't have a problem fudging emissions tests here in Toronto but I was thinking maybe to go with high flow cats.

Also, If I go longtubes without egr hook ups can all those pipes be removed from the compartment? Will this have a negative effect on emissions?
    Longtubes will make your car a little louder than the stock manifolds but keeping cats will keep the car from getting significatly louder than it already is. Most people remove the cats when doing longtubes like you are guessing.

Yes you can remove all the EGR pipes from the engine compartment, you will have to get a blockoff tube for the intake manifold if you have an LS1 intake though(98, 99 or 2000 model). If you are talking about your 2001 Z28, you have the LS6 intake and don't have an EGR. Maybe its the AIR pump you are speaking of instead
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

SOM
    2002 SS

Yes I have an 01 which i've read has no egr but I see pipes coming on the sides connecting to the manifolds How many cats does an 01 have? I just picked up the car yesterday and haven't really gotten underneath to take a look.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Yes I have an 01 which i've read has no egr but I see pipes coming on the sides connecting to the manifolds How many cats does an 01 have? I just picked up the car yesterday and haven't really gotten underneath to take a look.
    2 cats for your car. The connections to the manifolds you are seeing are the air pump. The pump itself is on the driver side down by the fog light. You should have a black tubing on the driver side fender that runs behind the intake etc.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    2 cats for your car. The connections to the manifolds you are seeing are the air pump. The pump itself is on the driver side down by the fog light. You should have a black tubing on the driver side fender that runs behind the intake etc.
    AHH so if I buy headers with no emissions hook ups it will not have that connection will it? Can I remove the air pump piping? I am guessing it is for cold start emissions purposes firing air in there to help light off the cats so it shouldn't blow a code if I remove it?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, mostly for cold start. Yes, if you remove the fuse, the Service Engine light will come on. You would need to get that set of codes tuned out of your PCM.

blue
    99z28 a4

Question

i thought 01-02's didnt have egr?

nevermind i jus read it its the "air"

Thread Information