Black

Question on intake.

I'm working on throwing things back together after a head gasket replacement, and have just a couple questions atm. The bolts for the intake are different lengths, some being studs with nuts permanently attached to them, and others just regular bolts. How do I know which goes where? Some seem really short, and other really long. I can't seem to find any different depths that would be needed when going through the intake. Any help?? Also, are there any brackets that need to be attached to the intake with the intake bolts? I just wanted to make sure on that before I tighten everything down, and then find out that a brackect needed to be attached to the intake with one of the main intake bolts. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but i'm not sure. Any and all help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I don't remember but it is always a good idea to either take pictures (polaroid) as you are disassembling or take real good notes and label and bag parts to avoid this exact situation.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Black
    Well that's definetly true. The problem was that a buddy of mine came over and started taking out the bolts. Normally I take notes/photos of the way things were together, just to avoid this situation. This time I didn't. I'm used to working on old cars where all the bolts on the intake would be the same. I didn't expect this. Given that, can anyone help me out here? I'm kinda stuck here until I get this figured out. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Black
    Can anyone help me out here?

White
    1998 TA

I have a service manual for a '98 but I don't know if that would help you much if you have a LT1.

Black
    I'm not sure if the bolt pattern/sizes would match up the same. Thanks though. I think I might go to a Chevy dealer, talk to some of the mechanics, and see if they can print something out for me. This is just bothering me, for if I can get this figured out, then I can pretty much finish the rest of it up. The car has been sitting a long time, and i'm getting worried that it might dry up. I'm trying to get this done A.S.A.P now.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I could use the same info actually. The top-half of my LT1 was jacked awhile ago and I'm trying to piece it back together from scratch. I went to the dealership, but my 94 is so old, that they didn't have a full database on it anymore. Al they had labeled were 4 'special' bolts/studs, with the rest N/A. The service tech told me that GM sometimes used 'generic' bolts and took them off the old databases as time went on. So, I wound up ordering a bunch of generic ones and those special ones, but they all happened to be the same length. They all fit, but I haven't torqued them all the way down yet. Can't tell if any of them need to be longer or not.

Black
    That sucks man. Someone ripped it off? I'd be pissed, as i'm sure you were. Any way you could tell me which 4 "special bolts" are which? I was looking at this, and i'm not sure why they are all different lengths. It seems like the shorter ones would only get at most 3 turns into the head, and that's just not enough.

Anyone know why these are different lengths? Clearance for accessories/wires or something? It seems to me like any part a bolt is going through in the intake is the same thickness, and they all need to go in the same minimal depth at least, so i just don't get it.

I was thinking about ordering some ARP intake bolts, not that they make a big difference really, but I figure it might come with a diagram, and I could use new ones anyway. Any thoughts?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I just talked to a guy on another board who has rebuilt his LT1, and he said that there is no difference in length. They are all the same, except some are bolts and some are studs.

Here'a the layout;

Thread Information