Italiano

Question question on cutouts

how exactly do cutouts work? What is required to have them and what will they do for you?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

A single cut-out is placed in the I-pipe of the exhaust. You can either get the electric cut-out and it will open with a flip of a switch or you can just get a standard cut-out. With a standard cut-out you'll have to crawl under your car to uncap it. A cut-out just allows for a free flowing exhaust...its almost like running open headers. Instead of the exhaust traveling the distance of the entire exhaust it will exit at the cut-out...

You can also get a dual cut-out which is placed at the end of each header. Same premise as above and maybe good for an extra HP or two. I personally don't see a need for dual cut-outs unless you have a lot of power...

Italiano
    ok, that helps a lot more. But I want to get LT's, Y pipe and catback... I want to be able to be loud when I want to and be able to quiet it up at times too. Is that possible with those additions?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Italiano
    ok, that helps a lot more. But I want to get LT's, Y pipe and catback... I want to be able to be loud when I want to and be able to quiet it up at times too. Is that possible with those additions?
    Most certainly possible with those mods. You can put a cutout just about anywhere you might have a straight pipe. Since you want Long Tube headers, I'd say put them on first, then put a cutout behind the y-pipe and leave the stock cat back on. The headers will make your car louder, especially if you go without catalytic converters. That way, you can have a quiet cruise, then open the cutout to race or whatever without the loud muffler tickets and drone in the cockpit.

But if you must change the cat-back, a cutout can be fabbed in to that too.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Italiano
    Yes...but just keep in mind what hammertime said. A full exhaust like you mentioned will be a loud car. Not so loud you'll go deaf...but noticeable. To quiet the car down and keep the rasp to a minimum I would get some cats. A lot of it depends on the cat-back you'll be getting too. Like hammertime also said, the stock cat-back will make the system pretty quite. What system do you plan on getting?

Italiano
    im set on Jet Hot LT's and Y, and gmmg cat back... I was thinkin of leavin the cats in but not sure yet. what do you think?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

That setup is going to sound sick with the GMMG.

Do you have to worry about emissions? If not, I think I would go catless. On the same hand cats will quiet the car down a little bit and eliminate some of the rasp. Its really up to you though. I went with the ORY because I don't deal with emissions and an ORY is a lot cheaper.

Italiano
    Would you recomend a set of high flow cats?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If your getting a catted y-pipe, absolutely.

Red
    2000 SS

Get FLP longtubes with the y pipe. The y pipe comes with both straight pipe sections and hi-flow cats that can be interchanged with each other quite easily. I put the straight pipe sections in now and then but a cutout with no cats and longtubes is friggin loud and kinda raspy. The hi flow cats with the cutout open makes for a better quality sound and it will still set off a car alarms now and again.

Italiano
    ok, i know most of the lingo but not all, whats flp?

Red
    2000 SS

FLP is just the brand name of the headers. Do a google search and you will find info on them.

Italiano
    whats their website? I have never heard of them

Thread Information