question about squeaking around belt area at cold startup

Hey guys so I own a 99 z28 and anytime i turn the car on from cold startup i get a squeaking noise for a good amount of time until the car finally warms up and it goes away. I asked a mechanic if it was a belt issue and he said there were no cracks on the belt so it was fine. He mentioned a lot of these GM cars had this issue and that if i fixed it it would just happen again. Any idea on what it could be? If so, a price on fixing it, if it is worth fixing, etc. I plan on selling the car soon so i don't want this to effect the sale. Also, just to add, when i press on the gas pedal very slightly just to stroll, if i listen closely i can hear this squeaking as well, and when i let go of the gas, it goes away. As if it is tied to accelerating. When i press on the gas hard then obviously i don't hear it cause the exhaust is loud as shit lol Thanks!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Some belts are just noisy. I have had issues with both Kelly and Duralast belts on cars, but have always had zero noise problems with the Goodyear Gatorback. Check your tensioner to ensure that it is tightening the belt, remove your belts and spin all the pulleys by hand to see if they emit noise or feel rough. If all seems well, reinstall the belt and if it is still noisy grab a can of belt dressing from the parts store for a temporary fix.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I kinda had the same problem, and I changed out the tensioner. I could not believe how much noise went away after I changed that tensioner. It is a wear item after all..

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Some belts are just noisy. I have had issues with both Kelly and Duralast belts on cars, but have always had zero noise problems with the Goodyear Gatorback. Check your tensioner to ensure that it is tightening the belt, remove your belts and spin all the pulleys by hand to see if they emit noise or feel rough. If all seems well, reinstall the belt and if it is still noisy grab a can of belt dressing from the parts store for a temporary fix.
    So i took it to the mechanic and he suggested i i change the tensioner and 2 belts. I purchased a new GATES tensioner on ebay for 40 bucks, i just need some help finding the two belts. What belts do you suggest? I need with A/C. I know the name of the serpentine belt, but i don't know the name of the inner belt...any way you can link me to some good ones? thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Goodyear Gatorback is the way to go. Not the cheapest belt, but I can almost guarantee it'll never make a sound and will last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Goodyear Gatorback is the way to go. Not the cheapest belt, but I can almost guarantee it'll never make a sound and will last a long time.
    I need the name of the inner belt, i can't search it online because i don't know what it's called.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The inner belt is the air conditioner belt. It only runs the a/c. It is also a serpentine belt. Just ask for the a/c (air conditioner) belt. Any parts store should be able to find it with out to much of a hassle. As mentioned before, the GOODYEAR GATORBACK is the best quality belt you can get.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

+1 on the goodyear gatorback, but last time I tried to order I was told they were discontinued. Hope not, but I took guys word for it and ordered the Delco belts.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry about that - I did not understand your question.

Looks like Summit is still selling Gatorback belts.

Thread Information