medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

question about inspection

ok lets say i get LT headers, rear cat sims, delete all emmissions equip, and run true duals out the back, with some sort of muffler, of course, and get a tune. i live in NJ and our inspection is visual(and they didnt raise my hood on my car, but its bone stock) and they do OBD testing. does anybody know if this would pass or if they would get pissy about it or anything? how does everyone here do it?

pewter
    02' Z28

Go with some high flow cats and you'll be passing emissions no problem.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Fuck no... even with high flow cats your not gonna pass the emission test.. You stated that you remove ALL EMISSION EQUIP... That means EGR,EVAP,AIR... ETC... Let's just say you do pass the emission test.. you will still fail the fuctional OBDII test.. Cuz its gonna check to see if you have codes and then its gonna check RPM and then Mointors for all emission equip.. And if you removed all of it you will fail.. Even if you get it tuned you still gotta do alot of work re-writing the PCM to be able to pass emission then on top of that you want performance with it too.. that's alot to ask for buddy...

WTF?! BAIL!

White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    Fuck no... even with high flow cats your not gonna pass the emission test.. You stated that you remove ALL EMISSION EQUIP... That means EGR,EVAP,AIR... ETC... Let's just say you do pass the emission test.. you will still fail the fuctional OBDII test.. Cuz its gonna check to see if you have codes and then its gonna check RPM and then Mointors for all emission equip.. And if you removed all of it you will fail.. Even if you get it tuned you still gotta do alot of work re-writing the PCM to be able to pass emission then on top of that you want performance with it too.. that's alot to ask for buddy...
    Any tuner can eliminate all codes thrown by a PCM for missing emissions equipment. And just 'cause your car can pass emissions doesn't mean it needs to lack power.......

Like Maxpit said, some high flow cats will get you by the sniffer (although without any other emissions stuff it might be shaky) and you don't need the O2 sims if you're getting a tune (just have 'em tuned out with all the other stuff).

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Quote Originally Posted by Da Swami View Post
    Any tuner can eliminate all codes thrown by a PCM for missing emissions equipment. And just 'cause your car can pass emissions doesn't mean it needs to lack power.......

Like Maxpit said, some high flow cats will get you by the sniffer (although without any other emissions stuff it might be shaky) and you don't need the O2 sims if you're getting a tune (just have 'em tuned out with all the other stuff).

Da Swami is right, just because your can pass emissions doesn't mean it can't be fast.

High flow cats should get you through a sniffer test, but its not 1980, and almost every state now is required to do the OBD II test in order for the car to pass Federal emissions in an emission required area. Like around Cities.

I live in PA and a Certified Emission Inspector for the State. I know how all the emission systems are checked weather its a passive or intrusive test. Federal law states on '96 and newer vehicles, only a OBD II test is required, that means no visual after '96 Period. And that's because of the on board diagnostics.

There is about 12 monitors that your PCM runs. When you start removing emissions equipment, the computer knows though a series of rational checks. That's why your check engine light will come on.

For example, you car is a '99 so it has everything that people like to get rid of, well because its UGLY, i.e. Air injection, EGR, and for some reason people like to just trash the cats. They do make real good High flow ones that will not hurt your total Hp output, only about 3 hp. If your going to do long tube headers and a tune your going to gain between 25-30hp anyway so whats 3.

Now a "Tune" can turn that check engine light out, but doesn't mean your going to pass an emission test. What they do during a tune is they (!) delete the monitor from running. That's it, the monitor doesn't run the check engine light will not come on. BTW technically not legal.

When I go to hook your car up to do an annual, at least that's what it is here, emission inspection. The report will come up that the monitor status is NOT COMPLETE, which is not technically a FAIL, but you do not pass, and will not get your sticker. Federal law says 96-99 cars are only allowed to have 2 monitors not complete. 00+ are limited to one. Any of the 12 monitors Fail, well your car fails.

Bottom line if your in an area where you have to get an OBDII test, removing all that equipment is just going to be a big headache for U. BTW it only make your engine bay look better. IT DOES NOT INCREASE HORSEPOWER by removing that stuff.

I have a LS6 engine in my '98 Trans Am. The orginal engine developed an oil pressure problem and it took a little too much clearance off the main bearings. It was cheeper to just replace the engine then to rebuild it.

My Ls6 was a brand new crate engine made around '05. When I put the engine in, I upgraded to the ls6 intake, one small problem is they don't have provisions for EGR, Lingenfelter makes an adapter piece you can get on ebay that solves that problem.

I also put longtube ARH's on with their catted y pipe. As long as your putting cats back on its legal. As long as the car is older then 8 years, or has more then 80,000 miles.

Im pushing close to 400hp to the wheels and it will pass with flying colors

Do some real mods to get faster, don't remove the emission equipment

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

you're right.. and i never said that.. I was just simply saying that if they are going to take all the emission equip out.. Its going to get alot compicated than just leaving it on and making power.. I agree with steve83ta.. I'm a smog tech myself and I live in cali where the smog standards are real strict. And alot of people think that emission equip rob power.. The fact is that they don't if you look at the C5-R corvette race car that is driven by pcm and has smog equip on that. look at the power it puts down with all the stuff on their.. Its about making a engine run efficently.. And Yeah there are alot of cars out their that pass smog and still make alot of power.. and the same goes for cars that don't pass smog..

Thread Information