Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

Question about headers

So i went to a buddy of mines dad shop to ask him if he can help me install my LT headers and he said he can do it but he recommends some other guy to help me out so i drive down there and as soon as i walk in the store the guy that im supposed to see comes straight out saying "im not interested" so i say "why" and he said that for our cars that we have to lift the motor out to install our LT headers and i say no, so im arguing with this guy that you dont have to lift the motor and all of you guys and girls have installed headers without doing it and he said "those are race cars" and then he goes into about how LT headers will contract alot of heat which i wasnt sure on, and then he recommends me shorty headers which i told him thats pointless because they flow like stock and its a waste of money.

so my question is that will LT headers cause alot of heat? and is this guy a moron when it comes to our cars?

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

they might produce a little more heat, but not to the extent he's implying. and no, you don't have to lift the motor out. I did TSP LT's last weekend, and the only thing is that for the drivers side I had to get the car a full 23inches from the ground to bottom of car to get the proper angle. Guys a douche

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The guy has obviously never had any experience installing long tubes on an LS1 fbody. You do not have to lift the motor. I have done several sets of headers on fbodies. The only hang up is sometimes on the driver side, you may have to use a hammer and make some room on the floorboard to get it to clear. Other than that, its pretty simple.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

+1 douche he just doesn't want to help because it's a tight fit.i thought it would be tough to do but with a lift and the pages of advice found on ls1.com it wasn't that tough a job at all.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I think it kinda depends on the header too, but if you get it high enough in the air i wouldn't see a problem.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

yeah im getting pacesetters. i was arguing with this guy about our cars. He was like its not possible to do it. i was like in my mind, you're dumb. oh yeah the reason why he wouldnt do my car was because, he put headers on a viper and it was a huge pain. Arnt our engines completely different from a vipers?
    Last edited by cobrakiller99; 04-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

That guy is a dumbass. U can install them in ur driveway with jackstands

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

with LT's contracting more heat, is that something i have to worry about?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I have coated pacesetters and dont notice any more or less heat than the factory units.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    yeah im getting pacesetters. i was arguing with this guy about our cars. He was like its not possible to do it. i was like in my mind, you're dumb. oh yeah the reason why he wouldnt do my car was because, he put headers on a viper and it was a huge pain. Arnt our engines completely different from a vipers?
    Vipers are ten cylinders differnt platform completly differnt and if u are worried about heat just use some header wrap

black trans am

i wraped mine b/c of the sound it puts out...if u wrap the headers its going to give a deeper tone b/c the hight noptes will be reduiced by the wrap it self..... and the hardest thing is the dip stick.... and on the driver side i had to grind a lil bit off my block and easy as it gets for being under a dash

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

They do cause more heat, I noticed that with my Kooks, gonna try to correct that with insulation, It's not something to worry about though man.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Your "helper" obviously has very little experience with late model header installs and in particular F-Bodies. Yes headers generate more heat under the hood, but the ceramic coating controls this and makes the headers work better by keeping the heat in the exhaust and causing it to expand and flow better. Stainless are also better at controlling the heat.

So you don't need to pull the engine, and either get stainless or wrap or coat the headers. If it's a daily driver, coat them since the wraps generally don't like a lot of water, road salt, etc.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

alright good, i knew this guy was a moron when he said he had to lift the motor out.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

This reminds me of many so called mechanics that only like to work on Honda's and Toyota's. I took my camaro in to get the plugs changed out and this has happened on last 4 of my camaro's this one being my 5th. ALL have said you have to remove your motor to change plugs the same goes with my headers all have said i have to also remove my motor to install headers. I dont know why or how they come to this conclusion, could be several reason which i have a few in mind but now a days not all but many mechanics like to do the easy jobs and charge more and hate charging more and doing hard jobs. Ive seen kids 17-21 that have more talent then me or most mechanics ive seen do LT headers on there driveway, replace there clutch, cams and so on and would put most licensed mechanics to shame. Find someone else to help you out with the LT install, hell if i was near you i would just come and help you out just for fun because id like to get an idea of how they go on, actually im revising my last comment if there is anyone near my area i live in glendale, ca and is doing LT headers on there car i will be more then happy to come by and help if your doing it on a weekend, dont want money just want to get an idea of how it works and give a helping hand.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 04-10-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Header Install 101

"actually im revising my last comment if there is anyone near my area i live in glendale, ca and is doing LT headers on there car i will be more then happy to come by and help if your doing it on a weekend, dont want money just want to get an idea of how it works and give a helping hand".[/QUOTE from Karpetcm]

AWESOME statement KARPETCM!! Now that's why I joined this forum!! Not many things in life for free anymore with the exception of free know-how from this site, and a few folks not afraid to jump in and help someone!

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by dixielegger1 View Post
    "actually im revising my last comment if there is anyone near my area i live in glendale, ca and is doing LT headers on there car i will be more then happy to come by and help if your doing it on a weekend, dont want money just want to get an idea of how it works and give a helping hand".[/QUOTE from Karpetcm]

AWESOME statement KARPETCM!! Now that's why I joined this forum!! Not many things in life for free anymore with the exception of free know-how from this site, and a few folks not afraid to jump in and help someone!
    ^ +1

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

On that note, I will offer a trade to anyone in south FLA. I will help you out with your headers, you help me with mine. Only problem is I don't have a place to do it or jackstands. So I need someone with stands or a lift. Again I am just looking to learn.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

wouldnt pulling the engine make a header install harder?? It would be easier to bolt them to the heads, but they would definitly be in the way when reinstalling the engine. Plus it would just be more things to line up when putting it back in

NBM M6
    2000 SS

A little more heat yes, but the power gains outweigh that. Shorty headers I think are a waste of time. The guy just plain and simple did not want to do it. Once you have to argue with a guy about an install you dont want that idiot to work on your baby. Find someone else.

Thread Information