Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Exclamation QTP longtubes, need a Y-pipe.

I have sourced a set of used headers and GMMG catback via facebook F-body group. So the guy originally thought they were Pacesetters and just finally got them out of the doner car today discovering they were QTP. He claims the Y pipe is a bit shot and would recommend a new one in place. I guess I will find out when I get them mid September. To be prepared anyway I'm looking for a Y. My research says finding a Y pipe for these QTP headers can be a bit challenging being that they quit producing matching Y pipes long ago, and I don't believe are making headers for these cars anymore. Since most of those posts were from 2008 and so, I wanted to see if anything different has changed about this matter.

ARH seems to be the best fitting for these cars, next to that, the TSP Y pipe at least for fitting Pacesetters. I have read other kits like the Kooks Y have a tight Y pipe merge and the Flowmaster merge is usually best to add in. I also read the QTP headers were longer at the collectors than say the Kooks and ARH. I'm after an OR/Y at the moment. $150 range would be nice. I understand you get quality with money spent but that isn't always the case.

TSP:
    Texas Speed 3" Off-Road Y-pipe

ARH Y: ( way overpriced to my opinion though, not willing to spend that. )
    98-02 LS1 American Racing Headers Off-Road Ypipe | WS6store.com

Hooker:
    98-02 LS1 Hooker Off-Road Y-Pipe | WS6store.com
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would go to a good exhaust shop and have it made to fit my car. I think it may cost a few more dollars but it would be worth it for a custom fit.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Define "a bit shot"... like it has holes in it?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Define "a bit shot"... like it has holes in it?
    I'll ask him for details. I'm going to assume he got rough with it on removal. Looked alright in the photo.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Unless it is rusted out, I am betting we can salvage it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Jeff, we all know when an ad says "A bit shot" it really means "Shot"

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yeah, you're probably right.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Unless it is rusted out, I am betting we can salvage it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Jeff, we all know when an ad says "A bit shot" it really means "Shot"
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Well yesterday evening I picked the items up. From the photos I wasn't sure if the pieces were worth the price, but having them in hand I was reassured, the catback is just dirty and the longtubes are in great shape. Original back in the day GTPs. The Y pipe was cracked and flaking rust, pretty sure it was aluminized steel. He had a brand new never used 3" TSP stainless Y that he offered me, claimed he got it for a heck of a deal but I didn't want to pay another $150, so I asked $100 and he accepted. Didn't low ball him badly and he made his profit, as I did with a full stainless exhaust for $650. The intermediate pipe has a bullet type resonator welded to it, so I'm not sure what I want to do with this. More than likely remove is my plan. But with LTs ORY and GMMG i'm sure it serves a good purpose for rasp. I can always add one in later. The original exhaust had a 4" midpipe judging by the entry of the resonator and the old Y pipe merge.

Photos when I am home Thursday. Now i'm more motivated to order the Corsa clones. I did a good deed buying this stuff cause he said pulling all of that out gave him the motivation to keep working on the car and not part it out. I'm tired of seeing part outs on perfectly fine cars! He had a fresh Moser 9" in it and is ordering his true duals shortly.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Have you picked up spark plugs yet? I do recommend the MSD ignition wires as we can shape them for added clearance around the header tubes (if required).

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Have you picked up spark plugs yet? I do recommend the MSD ignition wires as we can shape them for added clearance around the header tubes (if required).
    Not yet. Now that I have the exhaust in hand i'll be ordering the extras soon. I have a word doc that I made up with a list of items ( and links/prices ) I may send your way via email if you would be up for double checking my list and some possible add-ins as you feel necessary.

I believe I'll get the ngk tr-55 plugs, and i'll look up the msd wires and add them to the list.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Got home and unloaded. Had some time to soak it down in degreaser and pressure washed it down. Looks good so far. Going to polish it up tomorrow after getting the car inspected. I verified it did indeed have a 4" midpipe before. Jeff i'm wondering if a little heat will help break loose the over-axle connection joint. He claimed he could not break it free, and did not want to get rugged with it so he left that up for me to deal with.

Pics!

The headers with Y pipe.

The catback. It looks glossy as this was after I doused it in the degreaser. I blasted a lot of grit and grime off of it though.
    Last edited by DarrenWS6; 09-16-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: missed something

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Fire wrench often works wonders. It cannot hurt to try...

Thread Information