Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

QTP Electric Cutout Install/Issues

Ok, boys and girls....I got a pretty much stock T/A, I just added the magnaflow catback with a 3 inch cutout. One of my friends gave me a QTP electric cutout as a gift for helping out with some stuff. It was used, but I ain't complaining. Last night we did a super clean install, where the cutout is located in just in front of the rear seat drain plug. Ran the wire through there straight into the center console under the carpet. You wouldn't even know its there. Coiled up the extra wire which tucked nicely between the rear cupholders and the center glove box, nifty little pocket to coil wires in. Then we ran under the dash to the fuse box, and added a fuse instead of the cheap plug and play crap. Drilled the ashtray and installed the toggle, looks stock...never know it was there when the ashtray is closed. I will take pix, but that will have to be when I got off from work. Now the issues....

First, somewhere I obtained a new rattle under the passenger's floorboard. It is driving me nutz. First I thought it was a heat shield, then the Y-pipe, then the tunnel brace....now, I am leaning toward the flutter disc of the electric cutout itself....there is just nothing else in the area I can find. I know the new rumble is the culprit, because when I close the flutter, it goes away. Any ideas?

Next, the flutter valve itself only seems to want to open half way. I think the flutter is scraping the inside of the cutout causing it to stop, since it seems to open all the way when the flutter is off the car. Any ideas how to fix this?

Then, the toggle switch was cracked when I got it. It works fine, but I temp fixed it, since the side is cracked. I want to order a new one, but there are no part numbers on it and QTP is slow in responding to my emails. Anyone know where to get these?

There was an inline fuse for the power wire, but it had a 1A 12V fuse in it. It popped on me and i didn't have a spare, but this fuse is powering the toggle and the cutout itself...seems kind of low amperage for the setup. I just assumed it was correct. Anyone know for sure? Or do I just need to install a relay?

Now, when I was cruising home late at night after a long install and trouble shooting phase, I noticed a slight burning odor. I knew it wasn't the new wires, because the fuse had blown. I tracked it down to the light in the ashtray. I accidentally popped the spring off and the bulb was constantly on causing it to heat up the plastic shroud around it. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like installed, so I make sure I put it back correctly. I guess when I removed the ashtray the spring popped off and I didn't see how it was previously positioned.

Thanks for any ideas on how to fix the minor, but annoying issues.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My DMH cutout was getting hung up on the cutout itself also and wouldn't open at all when we first installed it. Just heard the motor straining. Loosened the bolts and just realigned it a lil. Hope you get it all worked out.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Sounds good, Ill try that.

Thread Information