Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

pully mod?

This is a discussion on pully mod? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 98_Formula i picked up a slp underdrive pulley and both belts with a new bolt for $200, ...

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Formula
    i picked up a slp underdrive pulley and both belts with a new bolt for $200, and i was told having a shop swap the pulley out is only like 30 - 40 bucks.
    That seams most beneficial then, not a bad price. Did you notice a gain in performance?
    Borla XR-1 energy bushings UMI B&M Spohn suspension techniques eibach edelbroc K&N Richmond Eaton F.A.S.T FlashTuner NGK MSD SLP J&M - I owe it all to my mentor- my dad.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona-Extra
    damn man.. where did you get that kinda deal from?!?!?!?!?!
    yeah, man, SPILL THE BEANS!!!

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

i picked up the pulley on ls1tech, i got it used, tho not much use on it, its a really nice lookin part but haven't had it installed yet, i've been deciding whether or not to do the alt overdrive pulley or if my A4 will charge fine still. you can get it from TSP for $219.99 new with both belts right now... heres the link http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...ProductID=1270

ps: the powerbond pulley is the same as the slp pulley just has a different name on it.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

WOW! both belts included in that package too! that's good =D

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Good price for that deal. It is definitely worth it.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

lol@a grand for pullies LOL

lightweightV8

Harmonic balancer w/ dual pulley??

Do you know where I can pick up a harmonic balancer w/ dual pulley's for my LS1. The engine is in my sand rail and I need to run my power steering. Cant use serpentine method because theres no a/c pump and the power steering pump has been relocated. Help?

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    are you really ready to drop a grand?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA **breathe** HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA **breathe** HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

are you kidding me??

are you all crazy???

ok so lets replace every pully and every tenisoner that we have oh and along with the belts, oh and dont foget about the labor a shop will charge you to do this. so i think im right in the ball park on this one. thank you very much

99 Firebird Formula

are you kidding me??

are you all crazy???

ok so lets replace every pully and every tenisoner that we have oh and along with the belts, oh and dont foget about the labor a shop will charge you to do this. so i think im right in the ball park on this one. thank you very much
    He said replace 'a couple of pulleys', and generally when people are talking about modifying pulleys on an LS1, they're talking about SLP/etc's underdrive pulleys. It doesn't take a brain surgeon or a load of tools to replace pulleys & belts, either. $1,000 for this modification is absolutely outrageous...perhaps you should stick to the Anything Goes forum before offering any more bogus advice for LS1 owners....

Black
    99 SS

no, this conversation was started between me and him before it even made it on this board, so 1k is not outrageous, he has no tools/mechanic skills at all nor the time i might add. a tech at GM i might add told him he needed his pulleys replaced, and that was all of them. personally i looked at the car and not one needs replacing just maybe some lube if you ask me to keep the squeeking down. other then that i think 1,000 is not that far off from replacing all the pullies and belts and labor included.

so what do you have to say to that, since you are being a smart ass and think your god at anything mechanincal.

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    nah, i'll leave the install to the pros-but the pros we [zboner and i] go to are slow as molasses when it comes to ordering parts in timely manner.
    Do you take it to the pros when you need your car washed too? Would/did you take your car to get a new lid installed? Seriously, it's pretty trivial. The only time you should need a pro is for block work... ('cause the equipment is so damn expensive!) And as aforementioned, you can borrow the tools from AutoZone. It's what I do.

-somebody

P.S. I'm reminded of a story I'd like to share... I walked into a performance shop looking for a -4AN 45 fitting 'cause I needed it that day. I paid the price for it too, $10!!! Well, there was this 30something year old guy in there with a Magnum parked outside. This is when Magnums were pretty new. He wanted headers on his car/truck thing (whatever the hell a Magnum is) and it cost him $2500 + 2 days for parts and installation. I laughed out loud at him when I heard that then left with my bend.

99 Firebird Formula

no, this conversation was started between me and him before it even made it on this board, so 1k is not outrageous, he has no tools/mechanic skills at all nor the time i might add. a tech at GM i might add told him he needed his pulleys replaced, and that was all of them. personally i looked at the car and not one needs replacing just maybe some lube if you ask me to keep the squeeking down. other then that i think 1,000 is not that far off from replacing all the pullies and belts and labor included.

so what do you have to say to that, since you are being a smart ass and think your god at anything mechanincal.
    lol where are you going to 'lube' a pulley, pray tell? They're not like suspension pieces, they don't have zerk fittings

Of course a dealership is going to tell you to replace everything, they want your money. And as long as their are people like you who honestly think it takes $1,000 to change a pulley or two, they'll continue to get their money.

If you want a real answer - squeaking can be caused by a number of things. Belt, bad tensioner, bad idler, and seldom a pulley elsewhere. That doesn't mean you replace all 7-8 pulleys and both belts because you hear a noise somewhere

So what do I have to say to that? Don't make me search through 100 posts to find the picture of the gay rainbow flag someone photochopped on the side of your car.

And for the record I never claimed to be god at anything mechanical, but I sure as hell know it doesn't cost a fucking grand to eliminate a squeak.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    lol where are you going to 'lube' a pulley, pray tell? They're not like suspension pieces, they don't have zerk fittings

Of course a dealership is going to tell you to replace everything, they want your money. And as long as their are people like you who honestly think it takes $1,000 to change a pulley or two, they'll continue to get their money.

If you want a real answer - squeaking can be caused by a number of things. Belt, bad tensioner, bad idler, and seldom a pulley elsewhere. That doesn't mean you replace all 7-8 pulleys and both belts because you hear a noise somewhere

So what do I have to say to that? Don't make me search through 100 posts to find the picture of the gay rainbow flag someone photochopped on the side of your car.

And for the record I never claimed to be god at anything mechanical, but I sure as hell know it doesn't cost a fucking grand to eliminate a squeak.
    yea and that was Sarge who put that up thank you, and yes im aware that it SHOULD not cost 1,000 to have it fixed for something simple like a belt or tensioner. simple put it would cost a grand to replace all the belts and pulleys on a car. are you going to argue with me on that also?? ill even look up all the prices on the belts and pulleys and see what the cost is for you, and ill do that stock to start with.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody09
    Do you take it to the pros when you need your car washed too? Would/did you take your car to get a new lid installed? Seriously, it's pretty trivial. The only time you should need a pro is for block work... ('cause the equipment is so damn expensive!) And as aforementioned, you can borrow the tools from AutoZone. It's what I do.

-somebody

P.S. I'm reminded of a story I'd like to share... I walked into a performance shop looking for a -4AN 45 fitting 'cause I needed it that day. I paid the price for it too, $10!!! Well, there was this 30something year old guy in there with a Magnum parked outside. This is when Magnums were pretty new. He wanted headers on his car/truck thing (whatever the hell a Magnum is) and it cost him $2500 + 2 days for parts and installation. I laughed out loud at him when I heard that then left with my bend.
    ok the person that would be doing this install has no mechanical skills what so ever to start with, he is an artist not saying anything bad, but could you build a web site with an instructional book in front of even though you have never done it before??? i mean you have the tools but im sure that you couldnt do it the first time, or if you could it may take some serious time to get it done dont you think?

ok the person that would be doing this install has no mechanical skills what so ever to start with, he is an artist not saying anything bad, but could you build a web site with an instructional book in front of even though you have never done it before??? i mean you have the tools but im sure that you couldnt do it the first time, or if you could it may take some serious time to get it done dont you think?
    Could I build a website? Yes, that's how I started in web design. I got my hands dirty. (You couldn't have picked an example that would have backfired more) Same goes for everything. How are you gonna know how to wipe your behind unless you get your hands dirty? It always takes long the first time, that's how you learn. There are so many people with experience and so many people's stories and how-tos about this, specifically for f-bodies, that it's impossible to be undoable. but blah! If he wants to pay double for every mod then that's his misfortune.

Black
    99 SS

that was his problem, he didnt have time to keep the car down, it was his daily to begin with. and could you go for a week without a car??? when you live by yourself?? all im saying is yes he can learn, it will take time to do it. and you know what i mean by my example taking time to learn things and not having time to do it in.

and would you or wouldnt agree with me that with Labor and him replacing every pulley and belt it would be a grand???

that is how he explained it to me when he asked me first.

Black
    99 SS

ok

Black
    99 SS

ok just with the underdrive pulley its about $250

so im already a 1/4 of the way there if it was $1,000

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

that pulley is real easy to change.....all you need is the puller tool which is free!!!!! then you need a breaker bar which is also free.....or you could use the big ratchet with a lead pipe......it helps if you got a manual car all you have to do is put it in six......really its not that bad of an install....took me longer to install the smooth bellow.... i had to cut it with a pocket knife so it would fit....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information