Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Pulley's For My LS1...

Ok, what's the deal here... Should I get a 25%Pulley? Will it mess up my car? Which accessories should I not touch? Crank Pulley? and of course the "which brand worked out the best?"...Please help me out here, just trying to go for some cheaper rwhp.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I opted for a SLP UD pulley (25%) on my 2000 Z28 and the cost was $213.00. UD Pulleys actually free-up HP by reducing the amount of parasite drag of the accessories such as the water pump, ac and alternator (depending on the number and type accessory you wish to underdrive). Most people (certainly not all) tend to change out the crank and leave the alternator alone. Generally they advertise 10-15 RWHP gains. Big powerful stero amps could bog down your charging system, in particular with a automatic.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    I opted for a SLP UD pulley (25%) on my 2000 Z28 and the cost was $213.00. UD Pulleys actually free-up HP by reducing the amount of parasite drag of the accessories such as the water pump, ac and alternator (depending on the number and type accessory you wish to underdrive). Most people (certainly not all) tend to change out the crank and leave the alternator alone. Generally they advertise 10-15 RWHP gains. Big powerful stero amps could bog down your charging system, in particular with a automatic.
    Are you speaking from experience or hear-say? I only ask that cause it's exactly what you responded w/ in another thread about pulley's. I worried about bogging down my waterpump and other important things. I just wanted to kinda get an idea of ACTUAL recorded gains and things to watch out for... thanks.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I drive a M6 and have no cooling nor charging problem with the pulley installed. The automatic transmission results are from my reading other posts and not experience. I can only speak to the 6 speed. Maybe others can advise you if they have an auto and that is your situation.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    I drive a M6 and have no cooling nor charging problem with the pulley installed. The automatic transmission results are from my reading other posts and not experience. I can only speak to the 6 speed. Maybe others can advise you if they have an auto and that is your situation.
    Thanks man, I really didn't take into an account the auto vs m6 pulley's. I just wanna slap a lighter one on w/ no headaches. I think they're kinda overpriced for what they are, but it seems to be cheaper than everything else right now man...

Black
    1999 SS

I just finished installing my ASP underdrive crank pulley yesterday morning. I also got the smaller alternator pulley, not sure if it's underdrive or overdrive, and the belts to go along with it. I haven't gotten on it hard yet, seeing as how i just past the break-in period with my new SPEC3+ clutch. I can let ya know how it feels this weekend.

I have a decent sized stereo system and what i drove around yesterday, i noticed no dimming lights nor bogging of the cooling system or stereo system. The hardest part of the install for me was removing the stock crank pulley and making sure i had the alternator nut tight. Other than that it was a breeze.

Ryan

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Sounds good man, lemme know after you get on it any noticeable gains, and def keep me posted if you getting bogging, thanks!

2001 Black SS #5228

I actually Dyno'd my car after doing the SLP pulley and Katech TB, my gains were 12 RWHP and 14 RWTQ, with gains across the whole curve. Did it over 2 years ago, no troubles.

just did the crank pulley, changed the drive belt and AC belt, put it on the dyno. I got 10-11rwhp out of it. not bad for $220 part and 1 hour labor $80.
    I guess that would be like 16-18 hp to the engine. also, think about 2-3 mpg save you do using the pulley kit (new pulley, belts, and a special bolt thing..I can't remember the name, but it's all in the ASP underdrive crank pulley package)

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...I have the SLP on the GTO....revs much quicker....no noticable effects with the alt/AC.....

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Nice! Thanks for the responses guys! Def gonna do it now...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well dont blame us then

Thread Information