This is a discussion on Pulleys within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does Anyone Know About Pulleys. Will They Tear Up The Belts Often, Do They Slow Down The Alternator So Much ...

Does Anyone Know About Pulleys. Will They Tear Up The Belts Often, Do They Slow Down The Alternator So Much That Your Lights Will Dim, And Will You Power Stering Be Harder. If Anyone Has One On Their Car Can They Please Reply.

I would assume that your talking about underdrive pulley kits. I'm in no way an expert but I'll give you at least what I understand about them. The under drive kits are designed to be exactly like your original pulleys, but the manufacturers change the ratios from pulley to pulley to create less drag from your harmonic balancer pulley to your alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc... which increases efficiency of the belt system and gives you more horsepower. There should be no issues with tearing up belts unless there is a defect in the pulley/belt or it was installed incorrectly. As far as the lights dimming is concerned most new cars wont do that because they are usually if not all equiped with alternators which are far more efficient at keeping the power up when a load is put on the battery even with reduced rpm's. Generators on older cars were famous for that, the lights on my 55 chevy would dim slighlty whenever I stopped until I did a alternator conversion on it. Plus most of the manufactures keep that in mind when they're designing these kits and I know there are a few that have specific kits for cars with lots of accesories that need higher output from the alternator. I'm sure someone else on the forum can give you more detailed information, or cover some points I may have missed, but that should at least give you a general idea.

Washington Crossing, PA
    I've had an ASP pulley on my car for the past 30K miles with no problems whatsoever.

Thread Information