black
    02 z28 vert M6

Pros n Cons..."poor mans borla"

so..i recently bought a 02 z28 vert...the sound was good for a stock cat back but i just wanted meaner....so a few of my buddys pulled of the I pipe after the Y...so now every thing is just hanging there...anyways the sound is great,..but i was j/w...what r my pros n cons of not having that extra back pressure after the Y??? am i loosing or gaining? i also live in FL.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm assuming you still have cats and what you're running is basically like a cutout. I ran an open cutout on stock exhaust for a year or two. Do yourself a favor though and drop a few bucks and have a cutout welded in. Pretty cheap to do and no chance of everything falling out from under the car.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

well, the sound is either a pro or con, depending on who's listening, you or a cop. as far as power goes you'll lose bottom end power but you'll have tons more top end at WOT. that's why people get cutouts, so they can use them at the track and still drive their car around town normally. my advice, get a cutout welded in.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by socmninja View Post
    my advice, get a cutout welded in.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ghetto....but I appreciate a fella making some noise in his car I did it myself back in the day.... Get a true cutout. They are cheap.

black
    02 z28 vert M6

yeh i really wanted 2 get a cut out ill probly get it right b4 the muffler so its easyer to take of n on, but thanks for all the info

Silver
    2002 Z28

The cutouts are electric, you dont want to put it close to the muffler. You want it right under the passenger seat, there is a place that is perfect for it and also there is a grommet under the seats that you can run the wires.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

pay a little bit of money and get it welded up

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You don't have to get an electric cutout. I ran mine without the e-switch for a year or more. Just as someone already mentioned you can put it just behind the passenger seat. I had no problems getting my cap on and off on my car although I ran it open pretty much all the time. I think I paid like $30 for my cutout and another $20 for someone to weld it on.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I suggest the electric cutout, I might have one for sale here soon as well.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by First Spray777 View Post
    so..i recently bought a 02 z28 vert...the sound was good for a stock cat back but i just wanted meaner....so a few of my buddys pulled of the I pipe after the Y...so now every thing is just hanging there...anyways the sound is great,..but i was j/w...what r my pros n cons of not having that extra back pressure after the Y??? am i loosing or gaining? i also live in FL.
    The factory system is so restrictive that uncapping the exaust is worth like 8rwhp and torque approximately is what the cutout cars are seeing. Dont feel bad man I ran the poor man setup like yours for awhile until I just installed my new system (see external engine hedman lt's, pics also). Cutout is nice but my new system was already planned to be dumped at the axle so wasn't within my plans.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by socmninja View Post
    well, the sound is either a pro or con, depending on who's listening, you or a cop. as far as power goes you'll lose bottom end power but you'll have tons more top end at WOT. that's why people get cutouts, so they can use them at the track and still drive their car around town normally. my advice, get a cutout welded in.
    yea your right bout the cop thing, it's harder to be stealthy in a loud car for shur, but shur is fun though. But as far as losing bottom end shouldn't happen when running dumped with stock cats cause there is still backpressure from cats and restictive piping, gains should be across the board by just freeing up some of the factory back pressure, plus dumping exaust there with no cutout or catback shaves about 50 pounds, every bit adds up, my car is a testament to that.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Yea, I like the stock exhaust because when closed it offers a nice low low low sound. But, when I open it up its mean... its nice that within 2 seconds I can close it...

What seems to be the problem officer? It doesnt sound too loud to me..

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

electric cutout ftw.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Yea, I like the stock exhaust because when closed it offers a nice low low low sound. But, when I open it up its mean... its nice that within 2 seconds I can close it...

What seems to be the problem officer? It doesnt sound too loud to me..
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't knock the e-cutout option. It's probably my favorite mod. Nothing like sitting at a light and having an import rev his fart can and being able to open up and run straight headers. It makes old people have heart palpitations. It just sounds like he's budget limited so I was pointing out that he didn't have to get the e-switch.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I love the mod, cant say I ever really close the cutout though, i just love the sound

Thread Information