Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

problems to expect after header install

I am getting ready to yank the stock exhaust off of my 1998 t/a, and install pacesetter longtubes and a tsp true dual setup, dumping it before the axle. I also would like to remove my AIR and EGR. I was just wanting to know what problems I should expect to run into after the install. I seem to be reading about alot of people who's car runs very poorly after a header install. Also, what all does it involve to remove the EGR system?? and will this affect the way the car runs?? thanks in advance!!

White
    98 Trans AM

I have a 98 T/A and installed FLP long tubes and had a few issues but not with performance. The car's performance went up and the power band seemed much more flat but here are the ones I did have. Due to the length of the headers and position they run so close to the oil drain plug that I have to use a bar to hold the headers away while loosening the drain plug. A pain but not outrageous. Next which is a pain is that again with as close to the oil pan as these are when I got torque twist the headers would hit the oil filter and cause a small leak. This is one where so far all I can do is put the filter on, mark where it is near the header, remove and crush that side of the filter down so there is enough room for the movement without hitting the oil filter. Dumb but it works. Last but not least was the close fit to the body caused the headers when at idle to rattle against the subframe connectors. This just required taking a grinder and remocing a little from a point on the connector. Granted I got lucky here as it was just right at the actual flat welded part so I could grind enough without affecting strength. Anyway, hope you have better luck but overall my impression of performance has been a good one once these issues where taken care of.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

My only suggestions would be to make sure you get them tight!! Also you will probably have to re-tighten them every week or so for a month as the metal grows and shrinks. You can circumvent this by just using some locktite but i'm sure others would say no to that for take-off reasons. Also you didn't mention it so I will bring it up just in case... You are getting rid of your cats right? You will need the trickers to make it think the o/2 is plugged in unless you have a tuner to delete them.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Loctite can be used.
    But I wouldn't personally recommend it. As mentioned above...double check the bolts after some driving time.

O2's have moved. Make sure to be careful with them.

EGR/AIR....codes need removed from the computer. Shouldn't be too expensive from a local late model LSx type shop. If they have LS1Edit/HPTuners, should be quick.
    I used hi-flow cats and was throwing rear O2 codes when I did my header install. Simple fix...local LSx tuner. $45 if I remember right. I am sure by now the price has gone up.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

99 Firebird Formula

The only way it would run poorly is if you have exhaust leaks anywhere or don't get a tune. Granted it might be 'ok' without a tune but you won't be getting the full benefit out if it.

Thread Information