Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SSweet Home Chicago!!! BlankinSShip's Avatar

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Pricing for Headers and Cam

I have all the standard bolt ons with intake and SLP LoudMouth and what not...

I feel like its time to step it up with some Longtubes and a Cam...

I just need to know How Much this sort of mod is going to cost with installation and all...

I drive my car about twice a week because I live in the city, so its a joy rider, or a trip out to the suburbs to my parents house.

I dont need anything ridiculous or anything that would make the car unable to drive when I feel like it, just some added power... I am at 375 At the Crank and I would like to have that number over 400 so I can stop hearing about these WRX STI's with exhaust saying they can beat me...

Cheers
    -Nick
    '01 Camaro SS M6 "The Beast"

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

And... I really am doing this so I can get that choppy bad ass sound when the car idles...

The intimidation along with it is too awesome...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

The price of the cam, installation, and tune would be around $1500, really depends on who does the work. Lontubes can be anywhere from $300-$1000. You'll need to decide if you want stainless steel like Kooks and QTP.So really the whole process will run around $2-3k I'd say, that is if you are not willing to do the work yourself. Pricing varies on the shops who will do the work for you, DEFINITELY shop around and ask people on here for reputable places ot get the work done...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks for the info...

Would it be unwise to get the Cam and Tune without getting Headers?

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

hah funny you say that about the wrx's tell them to shut up and race you should take them with what u got seeing as though your on a tight budget getting a cam with out head work/heads is not gonna work like it should .... get some nitrous and call it a day just dont go crazy with the stuff

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

heres my two cents,

get the 224/228 with like a 113 or 112 lobe seperation if you really want choppy, some pacesetter headers with a y pipe is 517 shipped from summit, as for the tune, i saw a add on here for half price ls1 edit, not too sure on how you would get it to your car without a lap top so i hope you got one of those, you can do the work yourself or have it done at a shop that price only they can give you, check out texas speed for your cam pakage,

you dont need heads to run this setup and you can expect 385-400 to the wheeels if you got a stick car,

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

with heads it will make lots more power to compliment what the cam does

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    with heads it will make lots more power to compliment what the cam does

Very true but they are pretty spendy but are a great bang for the buck if you have a cam. My setup feels fast enough and it would be sweet to adds aftermarket heads but they are expensive!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah this would be a cheap alternate, then going with heads, good thing you already have the ls6 intake, or else you would need one of those too

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    yeah this would be a cheap alternate, then going with heads, good thing you already have the ls6 intake, or else you would need one of those too

If you added heads then you would likely lbe ooking at getting a stronger clutch and a 12bolt or 9in rear. Once yuo hit a certain point with the power hitting the wheels you will need more upgrades to support. I'm sitting 390rwhp and the driveability is great and there's heaps on power but enough left in the car to keep in under control...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I appreciate all the help guys...

I do look forward to starting all these mods... I think the most I would be able to do in the next couple months would be headers, and the cam with whatever the hell the 111 and 112 separator is (obviously I dont know as much as I think I do)... But he said it would make it super choppy, LOVE THAT!!!

The bigger read ends and all that shit will not be in my near future... I can probably scrounge up $2500 to work with... and I do have a lap top, so it would be cool to be able to do the tune myself...

And as a side note... I DID Beat a WRX From the line through 3rd gear, and I had him buy roughly 2 car lengths... he went out and bought a new down pipe and exhaust system, so I'm gonna come back at em with more Raw Engine power, and continue to eat his lunch...

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

oh 112 or 113 is lobe seperation, this gives you a rougher idle the higher the number the more "smooth" the idle will be,

another thing i just realized you have a loudmouth cat back, well even without the cam, headers with no cats and a loudmouth is way too loud more most peoples taste, i wouldnt reccomend it as it draws a lot of unwanted attention from the fuzz,. if i was you i would either go cheap with a flowmaster or if you wanna spend a little extra the magna flow is probably the perfect cat back for when you have headers. jsut something esle to think about,

+1 on the drive train, be carefull, the faster you got the more it will cost if not up front but in the long run.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I will keep that in mind... Thanks...

I have the SLP LoudMouth and Y Pipe... That, normally unfavorable, sound, is music to my ears... but your right, I dont want to get attention from the Cops... Except the one Chicago Cop that rolled up to me and scared the shit out of me just to talk SS...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

The sound will be really loud, trust us when we tell you. I have GMMG exhaust with longtubes and a cam and it literally sounds like a barge coming through when I go WOT! Around town I keep it under 2k so I dont get recognized. Going through tunnels with the windows down makes my ears ring.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I know there are heaps on videos out there but I am working on getting a few clips of my car so then you can hear the exhaust and the idle of the cam to see if you want to go bigger or not. Just can't find the camera charger since I moved =(.
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS M6
    Thunder Racing 224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA
    FLP longtube headers (No cats) and y pipe
    GMMG catback
    Underdrive pulley
    LS1 motorsports lid
    PRO 5.0 with Lous Short stick
    Lower control arms,adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors.
    NITTO 555RII's

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i would love to hear your gmmg, i cant wait to get mine, except i just dropped like 8 bills on my cme setup,

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I am really pumped to hear some clips on it. Nothing sounds better than the "Tommy Gun" sound under and overpass...

I have actually seen poop fall out of the back of Mustangs on the road... Its good times...

I'm a budget based guy myself. After doing alot of research i think you should look into a reverse split cam. These cams are GREAT for the LSx engine when you have a free flowing exhaust and stock heads. With this type of cam you will have alot of torque under the curve while still maintaining peak HP numbers. Check out Thunder Racings 230/224. Great off the shelf cam for a car like yours. With a setup like this you will be looking at about 400 to the wheels

BTW make sure you get headers before the cam

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i havent head of that duration only the 224/228, but that seems to do better in ls6 style head car,

just make sure whatever cam you choose, make sure it has the comp cam style xer lobes, much better desighn,

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Appreciate it Chad...

I will for sure get some lungtubes, and then look into that off the shelf cam...

Can I really be close to 400 at the wheels?? Thats like over a 75HP hike from the 324rwhp I have right now...

Thread Information