Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

preparation before replacing squeaky belts?

I've found on these forums that the squeaky belt problem can be cured by using the Goodyear Gatorback belts.

Before I do the belt replacement, should I do anything along the lines of cleaning the pulleys with a solvent? One of the guys at the Pontiac dealership mentioned that the belts end up squeaking due to "contamination". I'm not sure if he meant that fluids get in between the belts and pulleys, or what.

In the past I've replaced the belt, replaced the belt tensioner, etc... but the squeaking is very persistent. I'd like to get rid of it once and for all.

Thanks.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

I had the dreaded belt squeak as well. For about 5 minutes (depending on how humid it was outside) after I started my car it sounded like a dial up modem pulling out until the car warmed up and then it went away. I ended up having to replace both belts, both idler pulleys, and both tensioners and that seemed to have helped it. I guarantee the trouble maker is the A/C idler pulley -- they seem to go first. Have to get it from the dealer though because for some reason, the parts places only have one in the computer even though i took two off the car. Anyway, hope this helps.

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Thanks for the reply, but I think I have reasonably ruled out the A/C belt.

I had replaced the main belt and had not squeaks, then I removed/replaced the main belt again so I could replace the A/C belt. After this, I got squeaks. I then sprayed some WD-40 on only the main belt while the car was running, and the squeaking stopped temporarily (5 mins or so). This leads me to believe that the only troublesome belt is the A/C belt.

Does this sound right to you?

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

How many miles are on the car? If you've replaced your belts and it's still making noise, then you have issues with your pulleys most likely. Have you tried replacing those? I'd start with the A/C idler pulley first. After a while the bearings start going out and they'll make noise like a bad belt. They're not that expensive. Take the belts off and spin them one by one with your hand and see if they spin freely. If one of them doesn't spin smoothly/freely then you've found the culprit

Thread Information