Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gold
    1998 Z28

Power Chip & washer airbox mod Question...

First: Anyone used a "power speed chip" like they sell on ebay for like $5? It:

"uses a resistance value of 3,500 ohms to override the sensor and signal the computer that it is receiving air at an optimal temperature of 46 degree."

It supposedly installes in the air intake temp sensor and adds 20 HP. Just curious if it works.

Second: Does putting the 4 washers under the airbox really help? Even though it's letting more air under, it opens up the sides and back a little where air could escape as well - or hot air could get in from the engine? *probably only at an idle...

Thanks guys! My first post here but I'll be around for a while, just decidede to finally get some performance out of my Z - and I appreciate all the comments I've read here over the past couple weeks, everyone here ROCKS!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

any chips are useless on ls1 cars and the washers may give a few extra hp
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Personally I'd stay away from both of those. If you want more air the FRA mod gets more in - as evidenced by a much dirtier air filter. Welcome to the board.

Gold
    1998 Z28

Cool, thanks guys - I forgot to mention I got ambitious and cut out the bottom squares of the air box - the mod mentioned so many times... would that affect the washer prop situation? (I have an SLP lid, K&N filter)

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

don't buy the resistor dojobby thingy.

no, the cutting of the box will not affect the washer mod.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Gold
    1998 Z28

Rockin' - So I should keep the washers under the box then. My buddy ordered the stupid resistor chip thing to surprise me since it was $5 - though I told him I wanted to check w/you guys first. Should I just toss it when it gets here or try it out and see if it does ne thing?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

dont use it, i think it just leans out the computer if at all , and thats bad for your car

Gold
    1998 Z28

cool thanks, i'll just toss it

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i mean, its not worth risking on such a nice LS1 car you know, if they made one for my beater i'd give it a go, but deff not on my SS

Gold
    1998 Z28

Right, that's what I was thinking from the beginning - I hadn't seen anyone on here using it and figured they would for $5 if it was worth it. I'm still a little unsure about the washer under the airbox mod - I did it last week along with cutting out the bottom of the plastic airbox, but am thinking air might just flow underneath it now or out the sides instead of being jammed in the whole with nowhere to go but up. You use that mod? It also seems like it may let hot air in the back of the box from the engine, but i guess that wouldn't be as big of a concern when the car is moving...

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

na i didnt do that mod, i'm just running a MTI lid w/ smooth bellows

Gold
    1998 Z28

I have an SLP lid, you think the smooth bellows are worth it? Do you think the washer prop is bad then?

Thanks a bunch.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the bellows is deff worth it, smoothes out the intake track,

and i've never heard nething about the washer mod, but i wouldnt have done it, idk

Gold
    1998 Z28

Yeah the washer mod I read about called for adding 4 washers on every bolt between the box and the car, lifting it up - supposedly to let more air in the opening. I haven't seen it on here much so I guess not many people are doing it so it probably doesn't do anything productive - I'll probably take them out. I just wonder now if I shouldn't have cut out the 2 boxes that kinda ramp the air up from underneath the airbox. it opened it up to where air coming in that first set of radiator fans could come straight up into the airbox, don't know if it will do the reverse and let air down into the fins instead.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by KiloVictor View Post
    Yeah the washer mod I read about called for adding 4 washers on every bolt between the box and the car, lifting it up - supposedly to let more air in the opening. I haven't seen it on here much so I guess not many people are doing it so it probably doesn't do anything productive - I'll probably take them out. I just wonder now if I shouldn't have cut out the 2 boxes that kinda ramp the air up from underneath the airbox. it opened it up to where air coming in that first set of radiator fans could come straight up into the airbox, don't know if it will do the reverse and let air down into the fins instead.
    if youre gonna go through all this trouble modding the air box you should either get a cold air intake or fashion one up. i have the slp one, but im gonna toss it and do my own thing. if you get on lmperformance.com you can see what the cai's look like and how to go about doing it. and as always, if you actually look at what you get and what slp charges for it youre gonna take it up the ass. it works, but you can do it yourself with their same basic idea for much much cheaper.

another tip for you to just consider...dont buy into all these free mods. youre doing the right thing by checking with everyone first. i know what it feels like to be anxious for power, but some of the free mods are useless and some could potentially hurt your ls1. just research it all before you decide to do it.
    all im saying is i personally wouldnt cut corners, but you dont have to get ripped off modding your ride (hear that street legal performance??).
    the air box mod is legit.
    good luck and welcome aboard

Gold
    1998 Z28

Awesome, thanks. I'll check out that site and look into fashioning a cai of my own. And take out those stupid washers

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by KiloVictor View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I'll check out that site and look into fashioning a cai of my own. And take out those stupid washers
    just so you know too. these ls1's dont take too much effort to run very fast in any type of racing event, straight line or otherwise. this is my second one and i am awestruck at the power and all i have is a cold air intake on mine. they are absolutely amazing. so i suppose the best advice i can give is to just be smart with your money and take the right path when modding. its less expensive in the long run and thats important bc if you plan on racing, somethings gonna break, its a casualty of the hobby. but if you build your car from the ground up....NO WORRIES.
    if your wondering why (like i did when i first joined this site) no one really makes a big deal of these 11 second and 10 second ls1 is because (to be quite crass) it isnt too big of a deal. its common place, and if that isnt a testiment to these cars, then i dont know what is..... I LOVE EM!!!!!
    look at some of the trap speeds and dyo sheets on this site and tell me you wont be checking your trousers.... AWESOME!!!!
    good luck

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    the bellows is deff worth it, smoothes out the intake track
    i would have to dissagree. You aren't going to see any gains from a smooth bellows - maybe 1hp. It just looks nice. I have one, but just for the looks.

Black
    1998 Trans am

Why would adding a resistor to lie to the pcm about the intake air temp be of any benefit. If it were of any benefit GM would have put it in there to begin with. A 39 cent resistor is a lot cheaper than an iat sensor. If you really want to try it, go to Radio Shack and pay a buck for a resistor.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98ls1blackbird View Post
    Why would adding a resistor to lie to the pcm about the intake air temp be of any benefit. If it were of any benefit GM would have put it in there to begin with. A 39 cent resistor is a lot cheaper than an iat sensor. If you really want to try it, go to Radio Shack and pay a buck for a resistor.
    or better yet, forget about all that shit and drink a beer.....

Thread Information