Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ported and polished throttle body???

This is a discussion on Ported and polished throttle body??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; oo i see...

white
    2002 z28

oo i see

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Satin finish is all you need, why make it look like chrome if nobody will ever see the inside anyway. polish is for setting it on your desk.

white
    2002 z28

i agree to somewhat but youll never see the insides of a pair of polished heads either. less turbelnce, smoother exit, + cheap to do. i guess what im saying is that every little bit helps

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i agree to somewhat but youll never see the insides of a pair of polished heads either. less turbelnce, smoother exit, + cheap to do. i guess what im saying is that every little bit helps
    I was just repeating what Shaner told me that for the extra money it is mostly for show, not go. The satin is ported and polished but just not to a chrome look, that is what costs more and is said to be "for looks".

white
    2002 z28

o hey sstodd are you going to the fbody car show at kensington park in a month??

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    o hey sstodd are you going to the fbody car show at kensington park in a month??
    Send me the details, I have not heard of it until your post. Thanks

on my old car i had the shaner...very recommend mod

white
    2002 z28

but here is the new question.!!

for 40-50 $ more would you buy this complete NEW TB that is 80m port/polish , its only 5mm over a ported stocker, buts that still 5mm and only $50 more

http://gvperformance.com/store/index...&productId=110

now what would you do ??

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I'm more of a tried and true type person myself. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't know someone that had already tried one. I've never heard of those before.

I did my own TB port work. I've ported manifolds and heads in the past, and ported jet engine turbine blades for a living for the last 10 years. Porting is easy to do and cheaper to do yourself if you're good with your hands and have the tools. If in doubt hire it out.

I'd recommend going with the tried and true over buying a new product though. Ultimately it's your car, your choice. If you decide to buy new and like it, you could be the one to recommend them to others.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

when you do the bump mod, it says to keep it under 4.7 volts or you'll throw code? how do you measure that? sorry, I'm just starting to learn some of this stuff. looking for a thread on it or a quick explanation. Thanks!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Just make sure you get the bump stop ground to where the throttle blade opens further (closer to 90 degrees), but stay shy of opening the full 90 degrees for safety. If it actually opens 90 degrees or more, it can throw a SES code.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackls1ta View Post
    i got a ported throttle body from a guy named jon bishop from ebay he is good but its not polished it flows 350 cfm more than stock about 10 hp gain on my car i paid 130 for reman and swap my old back to him you got to pay the core 79.99 up front till he gets your old one back then they will credit you,it has wot blade, bump stop mod, everything you wud want except polished better than aftermarket ones.says its good up 2 450hp they claim.
    um stock tbs is good to 500+ hp.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Just make sure you get the bump stop ground to where the throttle blade opens further (closer to 90 degrees), but stay shy of opening the full 90 degrees for safety. If it actually opens 90 degrees or more, it can throw a SES code.
    thanks for the good info! I have a ws6, I already have the free air mod, what else is a good free mod (or close to free)

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Being a WS6 owner, sealing the 1" gap between the hood and the air box, and debaffling the hood will improve incoming air pressure and reduce air temp. Watch the gap when you close your hood, and you'll see where you're pulling in hot air from the engine compartment. Cooler air = more power. They used to sell a kit to seal the hood, http://www.geocities.com/brian98rama..._Air_Pics.html but we have to do our own now because they quit making them. You can see what kind of gains they claimed in the link (+2mph/+.2 in the quarter). Most of us use weatherstripping to seal it up better, using some adhesive to stick it to the hood. Removing the rear baffle in your hood will help too. It's rivetted in, so you just have to drill out the rivets. Some remove both baffles, but I left my front one in. Doing these two things will improve responsiveness and provide a few more ponies. Some do the Free Ram Air mod http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...am_air_mod.htm , but I don't suggest it on a WS6/SS because you can pull in cooler air with your stock hood instead of hotter air. I've heard WS6/SS people complain of losing HP doing this and blaming the loss on increased turbulence and air temp. Without the hood it would obviously help air pressure, but if you have the hood the cooler air trumps it. Improving the incoming air pressure and temp will make your car faster.

Bypassing the TB coolant line will free up a few HP, and kind of goes hand in hand with sealing the hood and debaffling to cool incoming air temps. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins.../tb_bypass.htm

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Oops. Just reread and saw you've already done the FRA mod. Don't worry about sealing and debaffling, they won't help with the FRA. The TB bypass can still help though...

black, and black
    04 M6

advantages

what advantages does the epxy mod give u ?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I assume you're talking about epoxy in the TB, if so it smooths airflow transition a bit. I can't see it making a huge difference, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt performance any. Some do it, some don't. I didn't.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    um stock tbs is good to 500+ hp.
    starts losin power at 450hp the ported tb i got made a differnce over stocker.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackls1ta View Post
    starts losin power at 450hp the ported tb i got made a differnce over stocker.
    wait are you making 450hp so the ported tb helped you increase it? i'd love to see some dynos ect. i dont think your lying. i just want to see some proof

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wait are you making 450hp so the ported tb helped you increase it? i'd love to see some dynos ect. i dont think your lying. i just want to see some proof
    no dude im not making that hp im just saying its worth the 130 dollars over the stock unit and can feel the difference in throttle responce,well worth the money

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information