Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plugs and wires

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

plugs and wires

i have just bought headers, y pipe, and a catback. i was considering buying new bosch fusion spark plugs and MSD wires. i know i wont get very much from them, i just thought i couldnt go wrong updating my stuff since i had to go down there anyway for the headers. is it a good idea or just a complete waste of time and money

Black
    1999 SS

You can't go wrong with a good set of wires. The MSD are some of the best out there. As far as the plugs go, alot of ppl prefer the NGK's.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Plugs & Wires

I don't know how many miles you have but there is no better time to change them out if your doing header work. Which wires are a somewhat hotly debated subject. I installed NGK's plugs when doing mine at 42K. The plugs looked great with the exception the gap had widen. Was running great when replaced. The wires I ordered didn't come in by the time I was ready to go back together so left the factory wires in place for now.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I don't know about those plugs you mentioned but I used the MSD wires with NGK plugs and love them so far.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

MSD and NGK here. #8 is a bitch.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    MSD and NGK here. #8 is a bitch.
    X2 fuck you #8

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Don't go with Bosch plugs, they don't work very well in American or Asian engines. They were designed for German cars, hence they work well in those.

Go with either AC Delco or NGK plugs, Iridium is the best. I have the AC Delco Iridiums in my car (they are made by NGK), and I've been very happy with them.

I know why you ask this question because it occurs to me too. The MSD wires have the lowest resistance out there but I wonder if it will make any difference for a bolt-on modded engine. I have them on my to get list but my engine idles smoothly, it starts within a second of a key turn and winds right up to red line. Maybe someone out there has a horsepower test that shows improvement. In the mean time, I'm putting the $61.88 + tax toward other things; like nitrous where I would really need the wires.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z28M6 View Post
    I know why you ask this question because it occurs to me too. The MSD wires have the lowest resistance out there but I wonder if it will make any difference for a bolt-on modded engine. I have them on my to get list but my engine idles smoothly, it starts within a second of a key turn and winds right up to red line. Maybe someone out there has a horsepower test that shows improvement. In the mean time, I'm putting the $61.88 + tax toward other things; like nitrous where I would really need the wires.
    O.K I got the wires because they are red and make it look faster.

the Bosch Fusions have Iridium and platinum, and i dont see how they will work differently in one motor or the other considering american motors and jap motors are quite different (at least to me they are). what NGK plugs do you guys use, or whats the product #.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Tr55

NGK TR55 Spark Plugs set at 0.055 on my 2000 Z28 and seems to be the favorite with most. Came preset

these are alot cheaper than the new bosch's, but i still wonder which are better, the new bosch's are pretty tempting, but you guys all seem to say NGK, and all of you basically have the same car i do so ill probably wind up with the NGK's

but whats the reason for bosch plugs not doing so well in american or jap motors?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    these are alot cheaper than the new bosch's, but i still wonder which are better, the new bosch's are pretty tempting, but you guys all seem to say NGK, and all of you basically have the same car i do so ill probably wind up with the NGK's

but whats the reason for bosch plugs not doing so well in american or jap motors?
    I can't answer that question with any one reason, I'm just basing that on personal experience and from what I've read of other's experiences with them. Basically they are designed for German cars with German engines, and they just don't run optimally in American and Asian cars. I have never read of anyone using Bosch Plugs in an F-Body and having a good experience with them, in fact I think just about all the pro guys on here use either NGK or AC Delco plugs.

I have installed Bosch plugs in American cars before, with subpar results in terms of performance and fuel economy. I have AC Delco Iridiums (NGK) plugs in my LS1, and I've been very happy with their performance.

Green

The Granitelli wires have the lowest resistance, but the price reflects that. I an running autolite 103's and MSD wires. I have a colder plug because of the nitrous. I was running ngk tr55's but swapped them out when the nitrous arrived. I changed mine when I put the headers on also. Just dont be lazy and put the plugs in before the headers or you could have some cracked porcelain (sp?).

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

The difference between most plugs is the heat range which can vary drastically between manufacturers. One plug may be listed as a heat range 4 and sucessfully self-clean between x to y degrees while another brand listed as heat range 4 may only self-clean between y to z degrees.

Bosch plugs tend to run too hot, increasing the chances of pre-ignition which can lead to nice pits (and even holes) in your piston.

Another problem with many plugs is that a manufacturer tries to imply that a certain plug can replace quite a few different heat ranges. Usually they want to list as many cross references as they can so they'll end up specifying a heat range 5 plug as a replacement for plugs rated 3, 4 & 5. ND (Nippendenso, Denso) is perhaps the worst on this but Splitfire, Champion and a whole mess of others pull the same tricks at times.

GM engines prefer AC-Delco plugs or of course NGK as, believe it or not, NGK makes the great majority of AC-Delco's plugs. GM engines also run well on Autolite copper plugs but not their plats.

In my opinion the AC-Delco 41-932 is the best plug for a stock to mid-modded LS1 engine, however if you're a bit more heavily modded or drive in a very spirited manner most of the time you might want to go a little colder with 41-919 or even 41-913.

I have had better luck with the AC-Delco dual plats than I have with the newer Iridium plugs, they seem less prone to pre-ignition under heavy load.

There used to be a good reference thread to this on another forum 6 years ago but it's long since been deleted due to age. A guy that used to be with us worked it up with the help of a a GM powertrain engineer, I should sit down some day and look for his notes. I do remember:

Heat Range 5:
    AC-Delco 41-921, 41-101, NGK PTR4B, Autolite APP606, AP606, 606

Heat Range 4-1/2: NGK TR55, TR55IV, TR55IX

Heat Range 4:
    AC-Delco 41-932, NGK TR5, Autolite APP605, AP605, 605, 105

Heat Range 3-1/2:
    AC-Delco 41-919, Autolite 104

Heat Range 3:
    AC-Delco 41-913, NGK TR4, Autolite 103

The difference between Autolite 1xx and 6xx plugs are the gap they're designed to work best with. 1xx plugs come gapped around 0.032, 6xx plugs around 0.060

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

i have just bought headers, y pipe, and a catback. i was considering buying new bosch fusion spark plugs and MSD wires. i know i wont get very much from them, i just thought i couldnt go wrong updating my stuff since i had to go down there anyway for the headers. is it a good idea or just a complete waste of time and money
    The plugs are TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
    The wires are a good investment. We always run Autolite racing plugs....... But thats also cause we run the bottle on pretty much every thing. On the LS motors with under 175hp shot we run AR-94's.
    There is much better things you can spend money on other than Bosche's latest bullshit.........+1's,+2's,+3's,+4's, and now the Fushion.= JUNK
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You have the right logic, the MSD wires are what I use. I think you would be safe with those, but I would look for another option on plugs.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

yeah, im not gonna use the bosch's anymore. im gonna go with the NGK TR55-IX plugs and the MSD wires.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

yeah, im not gonna use the bosch's anymore. im gonna go with the NGK TR55-IX plugs and the MSD wires.
    Good choice

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

I have the msd wires and NGK TR6 plugs. THey seem to be fine, but nothing was wrong with my stock shit. I just put headers on and the car had 38K miles on it so I figured change them and go with something of quality but mainly something I wouldn't have to touch for a long ass time. The best thing you can do for yourself and your car is stop looking for horsepower in plugs and wires and bells and whistles and any other bullshit. That ADVERTISED 3-4 hp gain isnt getting to your rear wheels. If you want HP buy real parts like heads and cam and tune the computer. Look at it like this, if some heads only put and extra 25-40 hp to the rear wheels, what the fuck you expectin' from some goddamn wires. If wires were that strong, everybody on this site would have some wires as big as exhaust pipe on there cars talking about I picked up a 1000hp from these new hoochie coohie platinum space age NASA approved flux capacitor wires. If you want real hp, save a few thousand and build a motor.

Thread Information