Painted vs. Ceramic Headers ?

This is a discussion on Painted vs. Ceramic Headers ? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Is their any difference in hp and I have heard that the painted run warmer than the ceramic but will ...

Black
    SLP Camaro SS

Painted vs. Ceramic Headers ?

Is their any difference in hp and I have heard that the painted run warmer than the ceramic but will I be able to notice the difference?

tjswanson2001
    Ceramic coated headers help keep the engine bay cooler. You probably won't notice a power difference, but the ceramic coated headers will last almost a life time, where as the painted headers are going to rust. If you can afford the extra $$ for the ceramic coated headers, get them.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

surface rust on headers isnt as bad as some people will make it out to be.
    personally i have coated pacesetters. they look kick ass and the coating will hold up the headers for alot longer amount of time.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I typed out this "Gone With The Wind" response...only to get a "server busy" and lost the entire thing...so I'll shorten it man...
    In the old days we wrapped headers....that caused corrosion and rust.....
    we were after what ceramic coating provides today...superheat the headers to provide a vortex of exhaust...thus more RWHP...and reduce/eliminate underhood heat...ceramic coating does that/both without the corrosion and rust.....

Starz T/A 17
    Yeah its worth the extra money for ceramic coating if you plan to keep the car for a while

I escaped DC
    I got the Pacesetters coated, and for the most part, they still look good, although the coating is starting to flake off in places. Not reall happy about that. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy painted and then have them coated by someone else.
    2001 WS6, M6, Black/Black
    !Baffles to sealed airbox, MTI lid with K&N, Bo White ported TB, Pacesetter coated LTs, TSP catted-Y, Flowmaster catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, BMR STB and SFCs
    343hp and 357tq before ported TB on HPTuners

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    I got the Pacesetters coated, and for the most part, they still look good, although the coating is starting to flake off in places. Not reall happy about that. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy painted and then have them coated by someone else.
    If you had it to do over again buy Jet Hot LT's instead, they come with a lifetime warrantee!
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

Red
    02 Firehawk

Yea ceramic is the way to go and i made the mistake of getting flowtechs for my first set and deffinately a bad choice, spend the money for the jet hots or, like i did the second time around, the hookers and get ceramic coated either way even if you get the pace setters ceramic coated

Black
    99 SS

get stainless never any rust

MrMiracle
    I've read tests that didn't show any horsepower gains, though they were done on a very well ventalated engine dyno, so they kinda missed the point.

They did prove to reduce underhood temperatures, cutting them down from around 500 to 200 degrees F. Since most Gen III engines draw breath from outside the engine compartment, the composite intake doesn't conduct much heat, and the cylinder heads are kept quite cool, I don't see much in the way of gains happening from such a modification.

Thread Information