Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rookie

Talking Pacesetters Finally On!!

Sorry guys missed your posts. I did my install yesterday. My new cousin-in-law owns a muffler shop, so I had everything I needed at my fingertips. Including the lift!! One thing I suggest doing for anyone going forward on this Pacesetter install is this. Cut of that damn back EGR tube that you use the block off plate on and weld it shut. It hampers tighting the header bolts behind it and the dipstick tube. Also, I had no problems with making the 02 extensions, but would suggest buying the extension plug ins to save time. I am ordering them now, so when the old Sensors foul from the header coating contaminating them, I'll have them to install with ease this time.

I have some sound clips here for you and a couple of pics to show off our work.

The first sound clip is Catted SLP Y-Pipe with Magna flow Catback.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b82/Jo...preheaders.flv

Second clip is of the car with open headers right after the install. DAMN!! It sounded like a Nascar!
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b82/Jo...eadersopen.flv

And the third and fourth clips are of My system complete. Pacesetter longtubes, No cats, customized SLP Y-Pipe, Rear 02 Delete's and MagnaFlow. and an under the hood shot.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b82/Jo...soundclip1.flv
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b82/Jo...inebayclip.flv

I noticed a very real seat of the pants increase in power!! Thing really seems to come to life now! Also, it idles a little louder than when it was without the headers, but when you slam the pedal to the floor....Holy Shit It comes to life and is loud! Sounds awesome! In 6th at highway speeds, it is just a tad louder than before, but when you want to play, drop it to 3rd or 4th and woooohooooo it sounds mean!

Friday I'm headed to the dyno Shop for a custom Tune and I will give you all the numbers Pre-Tune HP and TQ and Post Tune HP and TQ.

Thanks to my new cuz Steve for the use of his shop and his 9 hours of time helping me with this project!

!
    Last edited by The Rookie; 03-30-2006 at 07:32 PM.

silver
    2000 camaro ss

thats awesome man, i have my pacesetters here in my apt, with tsp ory. im waiting to get mine installed and tuned
    i cant wait.

Glad to hear they make such a difference I have a set of QTPs coming in to a shop around here for me. I am going to install them(save money) then have them fit a custom true dual set up Can't Wait!!

~Alex
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Mods: Pro 5.0 Short Throw Shifter, GMMG Exhaust, Whisper Lid, UMI 3 Point Subframe Connectors,

Black
    1999 Camaro Z/28

Arrow

Alright, what i never got was what the hell do they tune at the dyno. I ordered my pacesetter's the other day so anxiously waiting on them but always heard tuning them at the dyno. So help me out and tell me whats to tune.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I've been considering a set of Pacesetters for a little while, and I've got a few questions...

How long did it take you? How difficult was it?
    Is the O2 sensor fouling due to Pacesetter's coating, or just coating in general?
    Do you have a picture of this EGR tube you're talking about? I didn't think the 01-02's had EGR...

The Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_hill33
    Alright, what i never got was what the hell do they tune at the dyno. I ordered my pacesetter's the other day so anxiously waiting on them but always heard tuning them at the dyno. So help me out and tell me whats to tune.
    What they tune is the air fuel mixture, timing curve, can delete certain things such as skip shift, can change you rev limiter to higher or lower RPM's, if you are an A4 they can change shifting features. Mine was running pig rich before the header install and probably worse now. The guy at the shop told me he could probably get another 20 HP give or take a few HP just by leaning it out from 8.5 to 13 - 13.5. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

The Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
    I've been considering a set of Pacesetters for a little while, and I've got a few questions...

How long did it take you? How difficult was it?
    Is the O2 sensor fouling due to Pacesetter's coating, or just coating in general?
    Do you have a picture of this EGR tube you're talking about? I didn't think the 01-02's had EGR...

It took us about 9 hours, with a lift. And all the right tools and Pipe for customizing my exhaust. We used his muffler shop.

Not sure about other headers coatings, but I have heard the Pacesetter coating burns off and fouls the sensors. no problems yet. Only have about 50 miles on the headers so far.

Don't have a pic but could take one for you if you want. There are 2 on the passenger side, one is for your stock hookup and I am not sure what the second one is for. But the kit came with a block off plate, so I did. Should have cut it off though. Thing gets in the way!!

quicky06
    pretty much anything metal you get has a coating of oil on it to prevent flash rusting, or they just didnt clean it before it left. when this burns off it screws up your 02's

The Rookie
    Well now I am a little confused. I did a prerun to see what my car was putting out before the header install and if you guys remember, it was 326hp and 333tq. Well I put the headers on a week ago and I had it Dyno'd and tuned Friday. First base run came back with a 308hp and 312tq. So after the Pacesetter install I got a loss of 18hp??? WTF. It feels stronger?

After it was all said and done this is what I ended up with.
    342rwhp/ 352rwtq
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...Picture015.jpg

here's the car on the DYNO.
    http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...t=Dynorun1.flv

The guy asked If I had ever run nitrous on the car, because there was no timing in it. This car has never had Nitrous. He also asked what octane gas I was using. I always use 93 from shell, but the day before I took the car in, I stopped at a different station and filled up. He says he thinks I ran into a bad batch of gas. Would this cause the car to lose horsepower? That much? I went from 326rwhp and 333rwtq pre headers, to 342rwhp and 352rwtq after header install and a tune for 800 bucks? 400 for the tune and about 400 for the Pacesetters and misc parts.... WTF

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch over dyno #'s. Get it on a track for before and after times, that's where the really matters, not on a dyno. I wouldn;t be too worried about it, diff dyno diff day you can get all kinds of diff #'s

The Rookie
    Hurley,

Do you think a ported and polished throttle body is worth the bucks??

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Company called New Era Perf in NY ports your TB and returns it to you same day they receive it for $75 I believe. For that price yes I think the 6-10 hp gain they usually net is worth it.

The Rookie
    thanks

Black
    2000Z-28

Do you have an installation guide ?

Onyx Black
    2001 SS

Thats not bad for a gain, when my 02 Z28 was dyno'd stock it pulled 301HP and 322TQ this was through a stock automatic at 5280 elevation, then when I did the pacesetter long tubes and offroad y-pipe and hooker catback and a mild tune it pulled 335HP and 350TQ still with the stock auto, the car runs mid 13s launching at idle and cutting 1.9 60ft's on stock tires at 15PSI at the track. Car sounds great on the dyno.

Sebring Metalic Silver
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Are you happy with the headers so far? I installed a set on my old LS1 M6 car and the worste part was removing the old Hooker shorty headers other than that the install was a breeze. Are you happy with the performance per $$$ spent? Also what other mods are done to acsent the headers?

RED
    2002 TRANS AM

Congrats!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Congrats

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I;m actually goin for the same setup on my 99TA in a few weeks, overall are u suckin gas more now?

As far as the dyno #'s, don't let it phase you man, the only dyno that counts when u get tossed harder back in ur seat...

The Rookie
    Been a couple weeks now and for seat of the pants and sound. I love my new pacesetters!
    Raced a WS6 in Austin with my brother and my father in the car and a case of beer in the hatch. "I Know not to smart" I had not had a drop of alcohol though. But anyway this kid pulls up along side of me in his black WS6. I look over and smile and he smiles back. I downshift to 3rd (at about 65mph) I look again and nod. the WS6 hammers it and I nailed it! He jumped out about 1/4 of a car link, My car screams and slowly starts pulling. My brothers laughing and my dad got quiet as shit. I run third to 6000 rpm then slam it to fourth by the time I got to 125 I was about a car and half in front. We were coming up on a red light. so I jumped over in his lane because of traffic in mine and when we stopped at the light I looked back in the rear view and the kid was laughing and held a thumbs up outside the window I smiled and held a thumbs up and waved back. Cool kid. Nothing like having a fellow F_Body guy having as much fun as me! I think I could have got him a little better minus the 400 plus pounds extra (brother and Father). But anyway kid if you are on this site, thanks for the race it was fun!

P.S. my dad now thinks my SS is faster than the ole 69Z he had back in the day! I think i scared the shit out of him. My brother is a Ford guy, but loves the way my SS now sounds.

Thread Information