Pacesetter / SLP?

This is a discussion on Pacesetter / SLP? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The long tube Pacesetter headers are $440 and the SLP ones are $950. Is it really worth the extra money ...

Black
    02 SS #8850

Pacesetter / SLP?

The long tube Pacesetter headers are $440 and the SLP ones are $950. Is it really worth the extra money to get the SLP headers? The SLP ones are bare stainless and the Pacesetter ones are painted, right? Thanks.

I heard SLP makes shitty ass LT's...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 camaro Z28

ive got a pair of used slp headers if your interested

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

If you're going to spend the money, go with Kooks or QTP headers. SLP headers suck for clearance. Pacesetters are a great header if you are on a budget. Many of the members here are running pacesetters. Don't get SLP.

Black
    02 SS #8850

If you buy Pacesetter headers it is wise to get their off-road Y-pipe as well, yes? If you use the O/R Y-pipe, can you keep the converters?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    If you buy Pacesetter headers it is wise to get their off-road Y-pipe as well, yes?
    Thats the easiest way to do it. Although I said to hell with the stupid y-pipe setup and went with true duals with an H pipe

If you use the O/R Y-pipe, can you keep the converters?
    The converters are directly after the manifolds, so by installing LT headers you are essentially deleting the cats. You can buy a catted Y pipe, but there's still no guarentee it would pass a visial inspection, since the cats are not supposed to be moved from their stock locations.

Black
    02 SS #8850

So if you get rid of the cats, then O2 simulators will be needed to pass an inspection right? In NH they don't do emissions but they do plug into the OBD2 port and check some things.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

So if you get rid of the cats, then O2 simulators will be needed to pass an inspection right? In NH they don't do emissions but they do plug into the OBD2 port and check some things.
    Exactly. There are 3 ways to get rid of the O2 codes - with a tune (best way IMO), with electronic O2 simms, or with screw in O2 simms.

The electronic ones cost about $80, and aren't guraenteed to work. I've seen them throw codes on cars after being installed for a few days.

I've personally used the scew in ones on more than a few cars, and they've worked every time. Its basically a spark plug non-fouler, you just screw it into the O2 bung and then screw the O2 sensor into the back of it. Basically relocates the O2 sensor farther away from the exhaust stream so it doesn't throw a code for catalyst inefficiency, but close enough that it still reads the exhaust gases. The best part is they are cheap, you can get them on eBay for $11.90 shipped

If you're planning on getting a tune though, thats the way I would go, since you don't have to worry about the rear O2's at all, they don' even have to be plugged in.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

The long tube Pacesetter headers are $440 and the SLP ones are $950. Is it really worth the extra money to get the SLP headers? The SLP ones are bare stainless and the Pacesetter ones are painted, right? Thanks.
    you want the ceramic coated Pacesetters...

if you buy SLP headers you will be banned from this site...

j/k, bro...

install and ground clearance issues, are a couple reasons to stay away from SLP LT's...

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I too have heard SLP has fitment issues, I personally went with the Pacesetter ceramic coated LT's, and true duals with an X pipe. Pacesetters slipped right in. I couldnt believe how easily they went in. I helped some local guys install a couple sets of kooks and one set of QTPs. Quality of the headers were excellent but a pain in the ass to install.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

IVe been looking at QTP LT's and then a off road y pipe or should I just go with the H-pipe?. and how easy they are to install?

Thanks

Thread Information