Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

PaceSetter Shorty Headers anyone install?

I was thinking of going with the PaceSetter Shorty Headers for my 2000 Z28 M6. SLP Lid, Smooth Bellows and Hooker Aerochamber. I wanted something with moderate gains, easy installation to stock pipes and pass emissions annually. I drive street and will never see the track, more of the sleeper concept for our local rice burners. Constructive criticism/opinions welcome. Thanks

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

To tell you the truth I probably would not do it unless I live in california. Stock manifolds flow decently in our cars and you can may be expect 10rwhp may from the change which imo is not enough to justify the hassle. I still have stock manifolds, and my car put down 348.7rwhp with just an ORY and catback and the mods below. If the catalytic converter location is not critical I would go with mid-lengh or even long tubes, and High flow cats in the y-pipe. The Long tube headers will make your car louder so midlenghts migh be a good compromise. My .02
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX
    I was thinking of going with the PaceSetter Shorty Headers for my 2000 Z28 M6. SLP Lid, Smooth Bellows and Hooker Aerochamber. I wanted something with moderate gains, easy installation to stock pipes and pass emissions annually.
    Trust me, go with the Dynomax system w/bullet resonator for the LS1. The system bolts to you're stock catalytic converters, reduces weight, and sounds great. We installed one a few months back on my buddy's Firebird, and it was an absolute breeze to install. If the Bassani true dual system didn't bolt up to the stock cataytic converters, I'd of gone that (Dynomax) route....

If you want to pass the sniffer, get the Pacesetter Long Tube headers from Texas-speed for $375, then get their catted y pipe for $300. You are gonna spend all that money for shorties and see crap gains. At least with the setup i gave you, you will gain about 25 to the wheels and still pass.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by bigman
    If you want to pass the sniffer, get the Pacesetter Long Tube headers from Texas-speed for $375, then get their catted y pipe for $300. You are gonna spend all that money for shorties and see crap gains. At least with the setup i gave you, you will gain about 25 to the wheels and still pass.
    He lives in cali, moving the cats from their stock location is a automatic visual fail...so longs are out unless he wants to swap back to stocker manifolds every 2 years. Not to mention every mod has to be C.A.R.B. certified with a E.O. number which is a pain in the ass.

Shorties might pick you up 5-10 rwhp depending on other mods as previously stated...you also have a 00 like me so the gains won't be as good as a 98-99 because of the stock manifold redesign in 00. If you have the money i'd put some coated shorties in there....they look a lot better then the manifolds and there is a slight gain from them.

BTW here's a link to the CARB site so you can check and see if your mods are smog legal....if they are print the page with their EO number and bring them to the smog place.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 06-17-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

"Right On" & Thanks

Good information from everyone and I thank you. I am porting and polishing my MAF as of last night. Pretty scary operation using a hack saw on my 41K miles 2000 Z28 but am almost complete. Now I will look at the TB but a bit hung-up on what two (2) holes they are referring to and filling with epoxy. Good luck to all.............!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX
    Good information from everyone and I thank you. I am porting and polishing my MAF as of last night. Pretty scary operation using a hack saw on my 41K miles 2000 Z28 but am almost complete. Now I will look at the TB but a bit hung-up on what two (2) holes they are referring to and filling with epoxy. Good luck to all.............!!
    The maf might end up being a nightmare...but I hope it turns out ok. The 2 holes that you fill with epoxy is inside the TB before the throttle blade. You can't just fill them all the way because the IAC uses one to control the idle....you'll need to put some sort of metal tubing in to keep the air way open and epoxy around the tube. Check out Shaner's site....I have his S2 and he does great work. There's also pics up that shows the epoxy mod...
    http://www.s2performance.net/

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

The MAF turned out fine as far as I can tell. Cut the two vanes and polished to a very smooth surface. Fired-up fine and my test run didn't show any adverse lights or engine problems. Of course I realize all these free mods are accumulative in respect to power gains so noticed no difference in performance. Underdrive pulley next on the agenda.

Thread Information