Thread: P/P TB Help

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

P/P TB Help

I have read so much about port and polished throttle bodies and the do it yourself for free.

I have a stock TB and a Ryobi rotory tool, yes it was cheaper than dremel but still works wonders. I even used it for the !EGR and to install my draw-tite hitch.

What bits and pieces do i need to do the job right? Dremel part numbers would help out or at least a good enough discription to shop the home depot for the right bits.

Has any one really tried and seen any improvements from the free mod that removes that "I" looking thing in the MAF spacer housing thing?

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...afapalooza.htm

thanks

kool-aide

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Any one?

I'd like to port and polish my TB while on holiday vaca.

What Dremel parts make this the easiest effort?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

wow, with all the talk about how great a stock TB is after a port and polish. I can't believe no one has helped me with a list of dremel parts. I saw in the Summit tools catalog a couple of different port and polish kits. I would prefer to not mail order. I was hoping to tear into the TB over my holiday vaca.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bought one Shaner did but just use the attachments that you think you should use. Drum sanders with different grits of sandpaper, and polishing wheels.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

okie dokie Olie

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...I have a dremel myself...just use the round "flappy" sandpaper one...works great.....

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I take it the round flappy is for the polishing

i'm assuming the porting is done with the hard grind bits, mine are orange

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Very interested in doing this myself. Probably have to go through several pads though right? Anybody know what grits to start with and then step down to in polishing?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

good question. I was thinking of heading over to home depot or lowes and looking for a kit. I'm have tempted to search ebay for a stock TB for practicing, lol...

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

I looked at the install university instructions for proting your throttle body and then i found this http://www.geocities.com/wilwaxu/throttlebody.html and i think i like it better.

I have read that you shouldn't port your maf sensor something about it causing knock retard. cant find the thing i read though, it was pretty technical.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMoss View Post
    I looked at the install university instructions for proting your throttle body and then i found this http://www.geocities.com/wilwaxu/throttlebody.html and i think i like it better.

I have read that you shouldn't port your maf sensor something about it causing knock retard. cant find the thing i read though, it was pretty technical.
    thanks. I have always wanted to know what those two holes are for? every one fills them and then leaves a real nice round smooth hole.

where and what kind of metal filler do you use, i assume Aluminum. I wish they would give more details on the optional metal filler step.

I'm still not sure if it is really worth the time though. I mean I can seriously screw this up, hmm...never stopped me before though.

I think I will try the install unv MAF thing first. to get a feel for grinding on these cast parts.

Still no one in there write ups said what kind of bits they used. A sanding roll and polishing wheel are self explanatory, but cutting and grinding have options.

I has thinking of a carbide tungsten what ever its made out of bit. It kind of looks like a drill bit but its not. Either that or a cone shaped orange kinding stone. I think the round ones would give the right feel and angle. they cone shape sounds good.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

Yea some kind of metal filler that will work with aluminum. i just bought another throttle body to port so i wouldnt mess mine up got it for like 20 bucks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah, it is always nice to work on a spare. I was thinking about shoping ebay for one.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Using a spare TB would be ideal. Finding an inexpensive used one should be easy. I'm thinking 60 grit would be good to do the porting, 400 for smoothing, then 600 to prep for polishing.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks, sounds good. I'm going to start with the MAF piece to get the hang of sanding and polishing. That should give me time to hunt for a cheap TB.

Thread Information