Thread: ORY vs Catted Y

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

ORY vs Catted Y

I'm going back and forth on which Y to go with and I thought I'd consult the wealth of experience here before I jump in:

I've ordered my LT headers but I'm not sure which Y to go with. Emissions isn't an issue really, but I really don't want the excessive fuel smell when I'm sitting at a light (this is my daily driver).

Pros and Cons of going ORY vs. Hhigh-flow catted y-pipe? Is the power difference really all that great?

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I'm not much help but a catted Y will help you lose power.
    it also will depend on what headers you got. Y pipes arent univeral fit

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I went the ORY route and I can't say that I have any smell issues since I kept the exhaust running all the way to the back.

That being said, I constantly worry about the day emissions will matter and I have to go messing with it. I personally have decided the power difference does not out weigh having to re-do something later nor the added emissions to the environment..

Did I just say that I think I'm getting old...

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I went the ORY route and I can't say that I have any smell issues since I kept the exhaust running all the way to the back.

That being said, I constantly worry about the day emissions will matter and I have to go messing with it. I personally have decided the power difference does not out weigh having to re-do something later nor the added emissions to the environment..

Did I just say that I think I'm getting old...
    I agree with everything you just said. I went with the ORY and haven't noticed any unusual exhaust smell. I also wonder if someday emissions testing will be standard everywhere. Hopefully not for ten years or more, the car will be wore out by then.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Well I'm putting my headers on this friday. I went with jetthot longtubes and texas speed catted Y. I can let you know what I think when I'm done. My personal opinion I would go with them. I didn't want an extream drone noise, smell (maybe), they come on the car for a reason. Power loss I would think it will be very minimal 3hp maybe.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I ran catless w/ my longtubes and after a while I got some hi-flows to get rid of some of the smell and noise. At the time my best was a 13.1 w/o cats and a 13.1 w/ them so any power loss wasn't noticable to me.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

go catless...it doesnt matter ...we would get grandfathered in sorta..as our cars did not require any emission testing when we bought it and used it until this new law..so that reason gets nullified.
    if you are dumped..go cats..if not then go catless

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Cats will help with any rasp you have.

2002 Camaro Z28

I'm not sure about being grandfathered in since thats not the way they came off the assembly line. I will pray for that though. I really like the texas speed ORY, haven't noticed any rasp and very little drone but I think magnaflow mufflers are good in that they aren't crazy loud at cruise.

Bright Red

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the grandfathered policy- the way the law reads here is any vehicle manufactured after 1975 is subject to testing. If it had cats, then it must have cats to pass. Any vehicle 1996 - up is tested through OBD, not sniffer. Not sure it'd pass yhe OBD test once I get I have Frost tune it even if I have cats. The way I look at it is a 3" pipe through cats and then merging into another 3" pipe has plenty of restrictions besides the cats. I'm going to go ahead and go with the catted y- thanks for everyones' help and suggestions.

Red
    2001 ws6

IMO cats are just another thing to worry about, i went with ORY and love it. even if it becomes law in your state (which in NY it already is) theres nothing a few bucks cant get you

Impounded
    gmcheviac

If your tune is off with a cam atleast magnaflow spun cats will melt, quickly. Ask me how I know sitting in traffic before cats the interior would start smelling with the a/c on even. Standing behind the car will smell. This is with a cammed car though, stock should be better

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I'm running Pacesetters with TSP catted Y. I have emissions so there was no choice, but my consideration would be if you lowered or not. I had 2 1/4" ground clearance after my install. I ended up raising the rear back to stock springs to get 3" which I drive with. TSP made a good product at a great price, can't fault that. Just the bolt on clamp exhaust doesn't seem to fit as good as it could and the position of the cats really screwed me up being the DS was dead center on the car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just installed Kooks LT's and catted Y. No emissions testing in our area, just what I chose to go with.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Did any of you guys have problems with putting a catted Y on and making it fit?
    I got a set of JetHot long tubes and a Texas speed Y. I tried to put this all on on friday "tried". The headers went fine. The Y pipe on the other hand not so good. To mee it seems like its going to need to be bent and tweeked. The Y doesn't fit in the tunnel area very well and with the brace on it wont fit. Also it wont fit in the exhaust back.

Bright Red

There have been a couple of people who've said they've had problems with the TSP catted y. I'll have to look, but there were a couple of postings recently.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I had some issues with my Kooks catted Y. It hit on the driver side floorpan bracket and also touched the brake lines in the tunnel. I ended up pulling the Y back off the collectors a bit and rotating it to gain more clearance. I also had to raise the brake/fuel line clip up in the tunnel and reconfigure how the lines are held in the clip. Pics in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131516

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    Did any of you guys have problems with putting a catted Y on and making it fit?
    I got a set of JetHot long tubes and a Texas speed Y. I tried to put this all on on friday "tried". The headers went fine. The Y pipe on the other hand not so good. To mee it seems like its going to need to be bent and tweeked. The Y doesn't fit in the tunnel area very well and with the brace on it wont fit. Also it wont fit in the exhaust back.
    That tunnel pan (don't know what it's called) had to be removed when installing my tsp catted y. It seemed to be right around where the driver cat ended up being too. I called tsp back when installing and they told me to remove it as that's what everybody does.

Since then talking on the forum, some people have shimmed them.

Thread Information